Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU question

Options
  • 04-05-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

I have a Pentium 4 Processor which I got off a friend who took it out of his old PC, basically he was throwing it away. Anyway I might just pop it into my ancient machine and I am going to do it myself. What I want to know is will it be compatible with a i845GV motherboard that has a mPGA478 Socket before I go ordering a tube of thermal paste and cleaner? The board is a 400/533Mhz FSB. Old CPU is a Intel Celeron D 2.66Ghz and slow. Not sure what the Pentium 4 is but hope its compatible? Do I need to get anything else before installing the Pentium?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Some P4's are PGA478 (pins), some are LGA775 (pads) I think. Check the specs for the CPU and the board, if the FSB matches, and the socket, you should be OK AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Some P4's are PGA478 (pins), some are LGA775 (pads) I think. Check the specs for the CPU and the board, if the FSB matches, and the socket, you should be OK AFAIK

It's a 478 chip 533mhz fsb clock speed @ 2.8ghz so i should be ok? The Board supports 400/533 fsb and has 478 chip socket. Is it worth replacing the celeron D processor at 2.66ghz and installing this? Is the performance of the pentium ok for a old chip?
    Do I need to get any additional cooling seeming my machine has a celeron?

I'm guessing the Celeron is one of these and the P4 one of these

If so, the P4 has twice as much cache as the Celeron, and runs a few watts cooler. [Cel:73W vs P4 68.4W] They are different lithography, C is 90 nm,P4 is 130 nm.

I think it'll work, and possibly a bit faster, due to the better cache.Your best bet is to identify the motherboard and get the specs from the horse's mouth. You might even find that it supports even faster chips than the P4.

Neither do 'hyperthreading'(a kind of pretend dualcore thing)

I'm guessing the Celeron is one of these and the P4 one of these

If so, the P4 has twice as much cache as the Celeron, and runs a few watts cooler. [Cel:73W vs P4 68.4W] They are different lithography, C is 90 nm,P4 is 130 nm.

I think it'll work, and possibly a bit faster, due to the better cache.Your best bet is to identify the motherboard and get the specs from the horse's mouth. You might even find that it supports even faster chips than the P4.

Neither do 'hyperthreading'(a kind of pretend dualcore thing)

Any other compatible chips with this board? I think myself it's only limited to celeron and pentium 4 processors. Looking online those chips are extremely cheap, might even purchase a better 478 one if possible with higher cache and clock speed. Saw a second hand 3.2ghz pentium 478socket chip 533mhz FSB 1MB L2 Cache on ebay and was cheap. It says its for compatible Laptop and Desktop PC boards. Should work with my board, i will leave the experts confirm? i will post link up later.Might even purchase if compatible because its extremely cheap and be a nice upgrade for my antique which I will be using as a secondary desktop.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Any other compatible chips with this board? I think myself it's only limited to celeron and pentium 4 processors. Looking online those chips are extremely cheap, might even purchase a better 478 one if possible with higher cache and clock speed. Saw a second hand 3.2ghz pentium 478socket chip 533mhz FSB 1MB L2 Cache on ebay and was cheap. It says its for compatible Laptop and Desktop PC boards. Should work with my board, i will leave the experts confirm? i will post link up later.Might even purchase if compatible because its extremely cheap and be a nice upgrade for my antique which I will be using as a secondary desktop.

I meant that it might take a faster P4 chip than the one you got free. Can you identify the board, from markings on it or text displayed while POSTing ?

• Advertisement

I meant that it might take a faster P4 chip than the one you got free. Can you identify the board, from markings on it or text displayed while POSTing ?

No problem, sorry should have included it before posting. Here is my board.

http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/Boards/Motherboards/Fujitsu/D1740/D1740.htm

According to http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/chipsets_d/Intel/845GV/, your chipset supports Hyper-Threading. The fastest P4 with 533 FSB for s478 is a 3.06 http://ark.intel.com/products/27499/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-supporting-HT-Technology-3_06-GHz-512K-Cache-533-MHz-FSB. I think it'll work.

Your board can take 2 x 1GB of memory (PC3200).

According to http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/chipsets_d/Intel/845GV/, your chipset supports Hyper-Threading. The fastest P4 with 533 FSB for s478 is a 3.06 http://ark.intel.com/products/27499/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-supporting-HT-Technology-3_06-GHz-512K-Cache-533-MHz-FSB. I think it'll work.

Your board can take 2 x 1GB of memory (PC3200).

Is my board limited to Pentium 4 only with HT?

Would this one below work? I can't see why it wouldn't but better check here first. Ticks all boxes I think?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/120919996849?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1927wt_1150

Btw I upgraded the Ram to Crucial 2gb RAM (pc3200) from 1GB. Performance still slow.

So the Pentium 4 3.2 ghz that I linked should be ok to work here?

• Advertisement

Looking again at the specs I linked for the CeleronD you have, and the P4 you got free, I notice some voltage differences:

Cel
    VID Voltage Range 1.250V-1.400V

P4
    VID Voltage Range 1.340V-1.525V

the 3.06 P4
    VID Voltage Range 1.340V-1.425V

ebay 3.2 chip
    VID Voltage Range 1.250V-1.4V

so I'm not sure if your board will run the free P4 or the 3.06, but do think it should run the ebay one. However I'm not familiar with that package, is it the same height as other s478 chips so the cooler will sit down tight on it.

Looking again at the specs I linked for the CeleronD you have, and the P4 you got free, I notice some voltage differences:

Cel
    VID Voltage Range 1.250V-1.400V

P4
    VID Voltage Range 1.340V-1.525V

the 3.06 P4
    VID Voltage Range 1.340V-1.425V

ebay 3.2 chip
    VID Voltage Range 1.250V-1.4V

so I'm not sure if your board will run the free P4 or the 3.06, but do think it should run the ebay one. However I'm not familiar with that package, is it the same height as other s478 chips so the cooler will sit down tight on it.

With the voltages, doesn't that mean that the chip will get hotter and CPU cooler will be on be on a bit more regularly? Or would you need to insure that motherboard and CPU fan could handle the voltages from CPU? I would nearly get the ebay one if I was 100% certain it would work with what I have. Maybe someone could confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,318 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if the board allowed it you could undervolt the CPU, but in all actuality the board will probably accept the new CPU, and your machine will average a higher temp. If you're already well within your tolerances youll be fine. Run Prime95 for a while with CPU-Z and Realtemp to check this out.

Overheal wrote: »
    if the board allowed it you could undervolt the CPU, but in all actuality the board will probably accept the new CPU, and your machine will average a higher temp. If you're already well within your tolerances youll be fine. Run Prime95 for a while with CPU-Z and Realtemp to check this out.

What temp would you deem acceptable when new CPU installed? Especially at the 3.2ghz Pentium4 linked earlier, i am taking that it will be compatible with board first? Can CPUs that run at higher temps have any effect on the motherboard itself? I will monitor temp when I install the new CPU. If it becomes too high after the install what/should I do? I guess I should give PC a good dusting out before I start it up?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,318 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What temp would you deem acceptable when new CPU installed? Especially at the 3.2ghz Pentium4 linked earlier, i am taking that it will be compatible with board first? Can CPUs that run at higher temps have any effect on the motherboard itself? I will monitor temp when I install the new CPU. If it becomes too high after the install what/should I do? I guess I should give PC a good dusting out before I start it up?

Thanks.
    well a CPU will generally shut off at 100C. My own Rig will run at around 20C normally, most computers probably roam in the 30s-50s. 60s would be reasonable without modifying your cooling in any way

Overheal wrote: »
    well a CPU will generally shut off at 100C. My own Rig will run at around 20C normally, most computers probably roam in the 30s-50s. 60s would be reasonable without modifying your cooling in any way

I think I will go ahead and order the 3.2ghz P4. I have other PC stuff to get anyway so il throw it into my list. Il hold onto the other P4 don't want to be taking it out again a few weeks later.

Some questions to be asked?

1. Apart from using Arctic Silver as thermal paste, before I apply to CPU, would it be ok to use 70% ethanol for cleaning the old thermal compound residue off the heat sink? or should I order the correct cleaning product for removing the old thermal compound residue?

2. When people are applying the thermal paste, do people pour a small pea size amount in centre of CPU and attach the heat sink or do they spread the paste out to the four corners of the CPU smoothly using a flat edge and then attach heatsink? I have seen people do it both ways, want to know which is the best way?

3. I have a can of compressed air, is it safe to use for blowing dust out of the heat sink, motherboard and fans with causing any damage?

Thanks again.

It is obvious to determine if your heatsink has a thermal pad attached to it?

If it was attached I assume you would not see any thermal grease residue or grease on CPU and heatsink?

I am a newbie to this and will be installing a new CPU in a few days. I am 95% sure my CPU should work with this board, it has ticked all the boxes I think.

I downloaded the CPU-Z and HW monitor programs but all HW monitor tells me the temps of my board Remote and Local (I dont Understand) and my two HDDs. I dont think my board has a CPU temp sensor so I cant monitor it when I do install new CPU. I am afraid of a huge bang or explosion when I have it installed, eventhough I watched many videos on how to do it and its something I understand but every video I have looked at has had a different PC. The worst that could happen is a melted CPU isnt it? No big bangs or anything like that?

Any suggestions?

If it was attached I assume you would not see any thermal grease residue or grease on CPU and heatsink?

I am a newbie to this and will be installing a new CPU in a few days. I am 95% sure my CPU should work with this board, it has ticked all the boxes I think.

I downloaded the CPU-Z and HW monitor programs but all HW monitor tells me the temps of my board Remote and Local (I dont Understand) and my two HDDs. I dont think my board has a CPU temp sensor so I cant monitor it when I do install new CPU. I am afraid of a huge bang or explosion when I have it installed, eventhough I watched many videos on how to do it and its something I understand but every video I have looked at has had a different PC. The worst that could happen is a melted CPU isnt it? No big bangs or anything like that?

Any suggestions?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yes. Here's a picture of a stock intel heatsink with some thermal paste pre-applied.

253140.jpg

The grey lines in the middle of the copper. If you buy an after-market heatsink there will likely be no paste on it. (I haven't read the rest of the thread).

I don't understand. The CPU should be clean. Like SUPER clean. If the heatsink is clean it means you need to use some thermal paste.
    The worst that could happen is a melted CPU isnt it? No big bangs or anything like that?

No big bangs. You might fry the CPU or a boot will fail and the thermal safety will kick in (shutting off the machine).

Don't arse around with it though. If in doubt, read around.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

1. Apart from using Arctic Silver as thermal paste, before I apply to CPU, would it be ok to use 70% ethanol for cleaning the old thermal compound residue off the heat sink? or should I order the correct cleaning product for removing the old thermal compound residue?

I have typically used vodka, but it is bold to do so. 70% ethanol is probably fine once you're not using a cloth that will leave any crap behind. Even one tiny piece of dust will affect efficiency so it really needs to be very clean indeed.
    2. When people are applying the thermal paste, do people pour a small pea size amount in centre of CPU and attach the heat sink or do they spread the paste out to the four corners of the CPU smoothly using a flat edge and then attach heatsink? I have seen people do it both ways, want to know which is the best way?

I have done both ways. I prefer the blob in the middle method these days. Pea sized is too much I think. Last time I did it I remember reading "grain of rice" sized. That was a few years ago though. The arctic silver site has good instructions.
    3. I have a can of compressed air, is it safe to use for blowing dust out of the heat sink, motherboard and fans with causing any damage?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »

No big bangs. You might fry the CPU or a boot will fail and the thermal safety will kick in (shutting off the machine).

Don't arse around with it though. If in doubt, read around.

Since when was the feature of auto shut down built into motherboards and cpus? Would it be built in to a 10+ year old PC that had a Celeron D?

I cant seem to find a program that will monitor my CPU temp, Any program mentioned on here has not been compatible with my machine, so I dont even know if it will auto shut in the off chance that something could be wrong.

Thanks.

Advertisement