Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android app for hiking trails

Options
  • 05-05-2013 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any good android apps with topographic maps of hiking trails around Ireland? Preferably one you have used and trust?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Trailmaster. Sorry, don't know what happened to me there, I did of course mean Viewranger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

I find Viewranger excellent and good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

I'm using GAIA GPS for few years now. Had it on iPhone before and loved it. Android version was somehow disappointing but keeps improving and creator responds to comments real quick, so if you found a bug it'll be fixed soon. I don't remember what I paid for it though, I think it was about €10 but I don't regret. Found it faster than other ones I had at the time and it didn't drain my battery.
    I'm on sgs3 btw (you might be aware that stability of apps on Android vary from device to device).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jkforde

new app on the android market today...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.walkingroutes.beta01

it's a community-generated kind of thing which will be great for sharing proven, safe, legal route access points. I've nothing to do with its development, have contributed some routes to its database via the associated website. considering it's produced by one fella out of pure interest it works very well and is nicely designed.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Viewranger is very good.
    Maps are cheap and load easy.
    A route can be pre-drawn on the website and sync'd with your phone too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

karltimber wrote: »
    Viewranger is very good.

I find the free Open Cycle Maps pretty good for having trails in the hills marked on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

karltimber wrote: »
    Viewranger is very good.

I downloaded it but havnt used it yet, is the buddy system good/reliable. I'd like to have it setup so my location can be sent to a pc

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement