Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostel recommendations in London, Milan and Paris

• 05-05-2013 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and the Girlfriend and doing a bit of a trip around Europe this summer, can anyone recommend some good hostels in good locations in the above cities? Been trawling through hostel world, but would like some recommendations from people who are more experienced at this European travel lark...:D

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Claasman wrote: »
    Hi,

Myself and the Girlfriend and doing a bit of a trip around Europe this summer, can anyone recommend some good hostels in good locations in the above cities? Been trawling through hostel world, but would like some recommendations people who are more experienced at this european travel lark...:D

Cheers

Hostels in Paris - I wouldn't hold out much hope cos even a lit of the good hotels are dreadful for what you pay.

But - have you found or used this site airbnb.com ?

You register & can contact people who rent rooms /their while appartments? I nearly did it last time I stayed in Paris - they are worldwide. Wouldn't be the same vibe as a hostel but for Paris it'd be well worth considering. & there is a renter review so you can read other peoples experiences, see where they are on google. Maps, & there are lots of pics.

I contacted the person/people directly to see whether they had availability in advance which turned out to be a great idea - the knes i wanted didnt but sms'd me back to let me know. Only thing is - there is a fee to book so if you hook and then contact them to ask if they're available & they're not, then you still loose the booking fee. They also charge VAT on the room price which is in the little print but not on the price so worth watching out for & factoring into your price.

Otherwise it's an amazing concept & you could stay in fab places you would normally never afford or be able to get to.

Have fun : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Cheers for that, will give it a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Try the Generator hostel in London. Found it great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SARAHCA

I stayed at a Generator hostel in Copenhagen.. was great!

Try St. Christopher's in Paris... that was nice, good location and don't think it was too expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

London : I've stayed at the Generator 3 times, its pretty good and location is hard to beat.

Milan : I really struggled with finding a hostel in Milan, doesn't seem to be much of a backpacker city. I ended up getting a dorm room in the Hotel Central Station for €25 a night. Weird set-up as 90% of the rooms are just regular hotel rooms and then the rest are dorm style. It was just OK but there was zero atmosphere. Its 150m from the train station which is not a nice area and felt well dodgy. It's worthwhile doing some serious research when finding somewhere in Milan.

Paris : I stayed at the Bastille Hostel. I liked the location and found it easy to navigate the city from there. The hostel itself is very basic but pro's exceeded the cons. Definitely better hostels out there but not a bad choice if you need somewhere cheap(ish) and cheerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Here Comes The Trio

Oops! Hostel in Paris gets good reviews, but I stayed in Young&Happy on Rue Mouffetard last time I was there, twas grand for travel. Paris hostels are crap, but Paris makes up for it!

Advertisement