Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will an iPhone 3GS still work with iTunes?

• 05-05-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi there,

I want to give my old 3GS to my mum. Problem is, I know the software goes out of date very quickly and the last time I tried to connect it to iTunes it kept telling me the software was out of date and when I tried to update it I couldn't. I have a new phone and dumped and reinstalled iTunes here so can't check it.

So, I don't want her signing a new contract, getting a new iPhone sim and then discovering it doesn't work. Anyone know if, in theory, it should work fine or if it's possible to check on her PC with my old phone but no sim card?

I'm not near her home at the moment so can't check, just wondering if I should make the trip!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, it will still work.

If she's on a phone contract though - why not get a new phone with it? The 3GS is a bit old, and you might get something better for the same price or very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

it should work afaik, the gf's 3gs updated only the other week when she connected it to itunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

Good to know, many thanks to both of you. I did suggest she get a new phone but she doesn't want to spend much and anything under €100 looks a bit crap. It would be great if she could get a sim-only deal and use my phone for now anyway.

As a matter of interest, is it possible to set a phone up on iTunes without a sim? It's unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

She won't even need to change her sim for a 3GS. It uses a normal mini sim. How was it unlocked?

If the iOS is 5 or higher you don't need iTunes to set it up

guil wrote: »
    She won't even need to change her sim for a 3GS. It uses a normal mini sim. How was it unlocked?

If the iOS is 5 or higher you don't need iTunes to set it up

Excuse my ignorance but the phone she has now isn't a smartphone, no data, etc., so will she still be able to use her existing sim? If she can, great, and I'll try putting it into my old phone and setting it up on iTunes - it's only 4.0.

I unlocked it through O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

I've 2 laptops 1 sync's my iphones perfectly (windows 7)the other 1 on xp I always get error 1604 when syncing,the latest firmware for all iphones except the original iphone and the 3g is 6.1.3 .I have 2 iphone 3gs's working perfectly on this ios.The 3gs does take a "normal" sized sim it's the iphone 4/4s that takes the micro sim the 5 takes micro mini sim.

wilford wrote: »
    I've 2 laptops 1 sync's my iphones perfectly (windows 7)the other 1 on xp I always get error 1604 when syncing,the latest firmware for all iphones except the original iphone and the 3g is 6.1.3 .I have 2 iphone 3gs's working perfectly on this ios.The 3gs does take a "normal" sized sim it's the iphone 4/4s that takes the micro sim the 5 takes micro mini sim.

Great, thanks. Yes, that's the error message I kept getting too.

wilford wrote: »

Lol the 5 takes a nano sim

Excuse my ignorance but the phone she has now isn't a smartphone, no data, etc., so will she still be able to use her existing sim? If she can, great, and I'll try putting it into my old phone and setting it up on iTunes - it's only 4.0.

I unlocked it through O2.
    Yeah just turn data off until she changes her plan and adds data

• Registered Users Posts: 1 annl1346

Hi I've a question about iphone 3gs
    i have recently been offered an iphone 3gs with ios 6 installed however my brother informed me we will not be able to do any further software updates on this as is becoming fased out is this the case should I not get the phone

• Advertisement
Advertisement