Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 remorse policy beware!!!

Options
  • 05-05-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I just want to make people aware of what I personally think is a very unfair policy that O2 have regarding apple products... As a customer of theirs for as long as I have had a mobile phone.. I just renewed my contract for another 24 months last Thursday for €61 per month after speaking to a really great rep of theirs and as an incitement was offered the iPhone 5 for free... I have the apple 4 gs and it has been problematic but just not enough to leave it with them to fix it so that was my bad... Anyway I was told there was a seven day cooling off period so I went for it.... I arrived to my local O2 branch and picked up my new iPhone 5 and the lovely girl serving went on to inform me of apples new remorse policy and said it meant that if anyone buys an apple product and there is a problem with it the shop can't replace it , the product has to go back to apple... That was it , off I went with the shiny phone like a magpie... I have since decided during the cooling off period that its not what I want only to be told by O2 online that..... It's over 800 euros to cancel my contract as its an apple product and by accepting the iPhone I invalidated my cooling off period!!!! Now is it just me??? ...or does anyone else smell a rotten Apple??

Hope this gets to you and many thanks...noel.. <snip/>..

Sent from my iPad

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭wallyMe

Why did you leave ur mobile number? Thats standard really what you are talking about. 02 are rip off merchants could have gotten a cheaper contract with another company. Apple products go back to Apple, I don't see the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I fail to see the issue.
    You were told that the iPhone couldn't be returned due to an Apple policy on the day you purchased it. This is Apple, not O2.

Secondly, you'd only have to pay a cancellation fee if you're cancelling the contract, this is standard with all networks worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you buy online, you have a cooling off period where you can change your mind and sent the item back once its unused.

Buying instore is different, and if you change your mind you are not entitled to redress unless the item is faulty. If it was faulty they would have replaced it on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nirwin

Maybe I phrased it wrong, when I said it wasn't what I wanted I didn't really mean d iPhone I meant d contract, O2 coverage maps show three locations where I should have perfect reception but the phone says oterwise and drops calls or can't get Internet worth anything as its edge network as I spend a lot of my work time at the second and third location at times it really restricts my Internet connection and as I have said already, the O2 coverage map says its all good there.. Full signal !!... As this is my business phone it isn't good enough service for me at €61/month..!!!As for the cooling off period, the national consumer agency legislation says and I quote.."the cooling off period begins when you enter into a service contract or when you receive the goods'"... There you have it!! Begins when I receive the goods.. The goods been the phone as its part of the contrac only when i received the phone and used it could i know the service was as it was.... I don't even mind paying for the iPhone but not what they are looking for at over 800 euros ...

I thought you were a long time customer from your first post and just renewed your contract? Why did you stay with them if the places you are working have poor signal?

• Advertisement

wallyMe wrote: »
    I thought you were a long time customer from your first post and just renewed your contract? Why did you stay with them if the places you are working have poor signal?

Good question....My other phone is a samsung s3 on another network and it has no problems in those three places but i didn't plan on keeping the s3 as I was getting d iPhone 5......I have d iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3.... I love iPhones, it's the network I have a problem with.... Anyone wants to see for themselves pick a house number between let's say the 130 to 150 mark in lynwood park Ballysimon limerick (and select iphone 5) and type it into the coverage map on O2.... It'll say top marks....( Now go into or probably stand anywhere near those houses) and u get edge network...and they think I should pay €61 a month for 24 months for that??? iPhone 5 is a pretty phone but I want to be able to do more than look at it!!!!

Maybe it's time network providers waited until the cooling off period of the minimal by law 7 days expires before they issued the "free iPhone" or "free upgrade" ... That way the customer gets to excise his right to opt out after he has had six days to think about it and there's no harm done... Getting the "free phone" it seems ,(they believe) to have nullified their obligation to fulfill my "cooling off period" clause... But lets wait and see... I will ask comreg and the national consumer agency and anyone else that might afford me the time to listen so maybe other ordinary customers just like me get a fair deal... I don't ask for anything other than that..

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I fail to see the issue.
    You were told that the iPhone couldn't be returned due to an Apple policy on the day you purchased it. This is Apple, not O2.

Secondly, you'd only have to pay a cancellation fee if you're cancelling the contract, this is standard with all networks worldwide.

No, I was told" apple products that come back to us have to go back to apple".. That O2 wouldn't do anything with d product or replace it for me themselves before sending it to apple if it was damaged... That was it... As for the cancellation fee... My cooling off period only ends this Thursday... I shouldn't be cancelling a contract ....I was never informed that accepting and taking possession of my "free upgrade". Nullified my 7 day cooling off period...and started my contract...buyer beware is one thing but there is a (duty of care) on these people to inform people of such a thing.... No?

Davy wrote: »
    If you buy online, you have a cooling off period where you can change your mind and sent the item back once its unused.

Buying instore is different, and if you change your mind you are not entitled to redress unless the item is faulty. If it was faulty they would have replaced it on the spot.

Actually... No they won't replace it on d spot... Quote... Apples no remorse policy means that if u pay for it and leave the shop, open it turn around and tell them it doesn't work... In a 30 second timeframe here's the response ur goin to get.. We can't do anything but send it back to apple for u!!! (Ask O2)....... As for the first part of ur post....did u ever buy a car?? Test drive it? Make sure it was and done what it should?? Why should an iPhone be any different? Or the service contract I enter into? If its not what it says it is then its not what I thought i bought... ..

Nirwin wrote: »
    Actually... No they won't replace it on d spot... Quote... Apples no remorse policy means that if u pay for it and leave the shop, open it turn around and tell them it doesn't work... In a 30 second timeframe here's the response ur goin to get.. We can't do anything but send it back to apple for u!!! (Ask O2)....... As for the first part of ur post....did u ever buy a car?? Test drive it? Make sure it was and done what it should?? Why should an iPhone be any different? Or the service contract I enter into? If its not what it says it is then its not what I thought i bought... ..

I believe the exact words I was searching for are ( fit for purpose).... Remember?? "Does exactly what it says on the tin!!".. Not much to ask.... Just" honesty"!!!

• Advertisement

wallyMe wrote: »

They don't have poor signal on my samsung s3 on another network but I wanted to get rid of that when I got d iPhone 5....

They don't have poor signal on my samsung s3 on another network but I wanted to get rid of that when I got d iPhone 5....

But you said you were a long term customer of 02? Why did you go back to them if the coverage was bad in your area? You said you renewed your contract? Now your saying you were on a different network the whole time? The above makes no sense!

Just sounds to me like someone is chancing their arm to get out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like the OP has no clue himself what he has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

That's a bit harsh I think.

There are well known problems with an O2/iPhone combination. I am one of the sufferers myself (everyone else with full coverage on different phones - me with nothing). If he was using a samsung he would not have been aware of any coverage issues before he got the phone.

Also, no one is addressing the question - Is it legal to nullify the cooling off period of their contract by giving the customer their 'Free' phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I don't see what the problem is in having to send the phone back to apple. O2 arnt the manufacturers. I bought the 5 a few months back, there was a problem with the screen, brought it in to O2, they sent it off to apple n four days later it came back perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

best bet would be to head to the Talk To O2 section of Boards.ie and discuss it with a rep there as soon as possible.

That's a bit harsh I think.

There are well known problems with an O2/iPhone combination. I am one of the sufferers myself (everyone else with full coverage on different phones - me with nothing). If he was using a samsung he would not have been aware of any coverage issues before he got the phone.

Also, no one is addressing the question - Is it legal to nullify the cooling off period of their contract by giving the customer their 'Free' phone?

Thank you, in one message u said exactly what meant and I think u saved my sanity... I was thinking it must just be my way of thinking that was wrong but I was right as it seems ( I seldom get things right)... COMREG are taking on my complaint in regards to the coverage and the national consumer agency say the shop I got the phone from has the responsibility for the phone if that was d problem and not d network provider or d manufacturer...so it was just common sense really... Now I just have to convince O2....thanks again.. U made my day !!!

Advertisement