Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

correct attire for showing classes

Options
  • 05-05-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

Ok I need to be sure on this the correct attire for horse for a showing class is
    Bridle= snaffle
    Pelham or Weymouth in other words a double bridle or a snafflebridle with a flash allowed

Saddle cut so it shows off shoulder action colour of saddle should match bridle
    Numnah - none at all or a very discrete one
    No boots or martingales
    Horse plaited and tail pulled or plaited

So I'm doin a ladies hunter class

Is everything I have mentioned ok
    I have a snaffle bridle cause she goes so well in it so I'll leave it like that for the moment

Then I will do a riding horse class

Is there any difference in the tack or dress needed for the two classes?

I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb !!!

Rider
    Tweed jacket
    Shirt tie and tie pin lemon or white shirt
    Canary or beige jodhpurs
    Black boots
    Brown gloves
    For women a navy velvet riding peaked hat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

In riding horse class people often wear navy jackets. Tweed correct for hunter. Cavesson nose ands and brown tack are preferable. But really unless at high level you'll be fine with black and flash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

fits wrote: »
    In riding horse class people often wear navy jackets. Tweed correct for hunter. Cavesson nose ands and brown tack are preferable. But really unless at high level you'll be fine with black and flash

Grand I have a brown bridle not a Havana and a brown saddle
    Thanks I have the green tweed but no navy jacket so and everything else so
    Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Aren't ladies hunter classes usually ridden side saddle?

Gorey for example.

^ no, I don't think so. I would think it would specifically say side saddle in class description no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

fits wrote: »
    ^ no, I don't think so. I would think it would specifically say side saddle in class description no?

Yes absolutely, it would have to say so, like this from the Gorey schedule for example:

Class 54 Ladies Hunter Class
    Exceeding 153cms to be ridden by ladies riding Side Saddle and who have attained their 16th birthday. MUST BE members of The Side Saddle Association of Ireland.

This isn't really my area of interest at all - i was just looking at the Gorey schedule the other day and noted this. I did think that the majority of ladies hunters classes are required to be ridden SS though. If they are just regular hunter classes for lady riders, what are the judging criteria?

• Advertisement

Good point! Yeah I think you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Apologies to the original poster for piggybacking but I was just wondering are wilkies permitted bits for showing?
    I'd only ever really noticed people using snaffles, double bridles or pelhams but had a look at the working hunter at Killossery today to educate myself more on showing and noticed a few wilkies being used. Is this ok or common?
    Hoping to show the horse I lease this year and while his loose ring snaffle is ok for dressage I wouldn't feel confident riding him in it for showing and I'd be interested in an alternative to a pelham. He goes lovely in a 3 ring and I've read some comparisons with the wilkie and the gag.

Thanks and best of luck in your hunter and riding horse classes Monflat :)

yep see a lot of wilkies in the showring. Also consider stronger bits that look like snaffles. Waterfords etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

For normal Hunter Showing- either a plain snaffle or a double would be the norm - a flash would be quite unusual. Usually just a big thick hunter noseband;

For the Riding Horse Class however - you can use a coloured browband and match it to your jacket and tie etc :)

Just to not also re bits - working hunter would be different to showing in regards tack and you would see a lot more variety in regards to bits used in WH versus that of the plain Showing classes; A Wilkie could be common in WH - not so much in Showing Horses;

Tweed jacket also for the Riding Horse Class;

bob1984 wrote: »
    For normal Hunter Showing- either a plain snaffle or a double would be the norm - a flash would be quite unusual. Usually just a big thick hunter noseband;

For the Riding Horse Class however - you can use a coloured browband and match it to your jacket and tie etc :)

Just to not also re bits - working hunter would be different to showing in regards tack and you would see a lot more variety in regards to bits used in WH versus that of the plain Showing classes; A Wilkie could be common in WH - not so much in Showing Horses;

Tweed jacket also for the Riding Horse Class;

Ok thanks so if I'm doin the hunter class then running off to do the riding horse class do I leave on flat cavesson nose band ?

I actually have two bridles one bit so I could have the coloured browband on one and the plain one with cavesson on tgey other

What noseband for the riding horse class ?

• Advertisement

Flat hunter noseband (cavesson) for both :)

Hoof oil or black hoof paint she is a dark bay mare

monflat wrote: »
    Hoof oil or black hoof paint she is a dark bay mare

Might sound odd but what colour are her hooves and does she have any white socks etc?

If all are dark I would go for black - of white or a mixture I would go for plain old fashioned hoof oil;

I actually asked a show judge this at the last clinic I attended - it seems to be very much personal preference :)

Different years... different fashions....

No white point s at all just dark bay with black -brown hooves
    Just want to get it right !

So I have the black paint I might as well use it just did not want to put it on if it looked odd

Advertisement