Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MythTV configuration services?

• 05-05-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

So i'm in the process of migrating to MythTV (backend + multiple frontends) from Sage TV (Windows).

It's proving to be a major PITA as my Linux skills are really up to scratch. Just wondering if there are any guys out there that have gone through all this before?

I just don't have the time to set this up and am looking for somebody that can do it all for me? Willing to pay well for the time.

There are a few things that need to be performed. I can give more details if required, cheers.

Anybody interested?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

didnt mythtv die away when xbmc got pvr support ?, you might be better going down that route ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Stuxnet wrote: »
    didnt mythtv die away when xbmc got pvr support ?, you might be better going down that route ?

Interesting, I was under the impression the xbmc pvr support was via MythTV and the MythTV frontend plugin for xmbc.

Did xbmc get it's own pvr backend / server? Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

XBMC has built in support for pvr applications so you still need a backend pvr application like MythTV.

I'm in the process of doing this myself. Going to try the mythbuntu.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Most comments I see from those using XBMC seem to indicate that Tvheadend is the preferred backend these days.

MythTV does series link and timeshifting.

it's debateable whether tvheadend supports these.

According to the xbmc wiki it does and doesn't

It does come prepackaged with openelec I think. it's part of the arctic build anyway.

Think TVheadend is preferred because it's easier to set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Yes. You still need a backend with XBMC/PVR.

I found Tvheadend much easier to set up, especially around DVB-S2 (HD) services and channel naming/numbering/icons etc. I had previously used MythTV on mythbuntu. I now run backend on LinuxMint and frontend on Openelec.

Tvheadend has a auto-record feature similar to series linking, but the programme needs to be on same day/time/channel for this to work reliably. It also has to be set up in Web interface rather than through XBMC. You can easily record programmes using the EPG though.

The 3.4 release is supposed to do timeshifting but I haven't installed this yet.

Yes the 3.4 version of TVHeadend does have a SeriesLink setting ...... although I have never used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Heres a how to on setting up a Linux based HTPC with minimal Linux skills

Dwnload a Stable Linux release
    Install it
    Spend 5 weeks online trying to make things work.
    Realise linux is sh1t
    Reinstall windows
    Install DVBLogic and the xbmc plugin
    install xbmc latest build with pvr support
    Sit back and watch tv instead of spending hours and hours and hours and hours and hours screwing around trying to make every single goddammmmmm little thing work from getting your Tuner cards to load the correct drivers to getting the sound right and so on and so forth.

Heres a how to on setting up a Linux based HTPC with minimal Linux skills

Dwnload a Stable Linux release
    Install it
    Spend 5 weeks online trying to make things work.
    Realise linux is sh1t
    Reinstall windows
    Install DVBLogic and the xbmc plugin
    install xbmc latest build with pvr support
    Sit back and watch tv instead of spending hours and hours and hours and hours and hours screwing around trying to make every single goddammmmmm little thing work from getting your Tuner cards to load the correct drivers to getting the sound right and so on and so forth.

does DVBLogic have timeshift and series link support?

I use it through Windows media center and it works perfectly, full EPG, Timeshift and series linking. Also the connect server add-in lets me stream to My Kindle fire and wifes Ipad etc.

Since my Win8 machine died on me (failed SSD) Im rebuilding it using XBMC this time around and keeping wmc as a backup in case the wife hates XBMC.

I have a Hauppauge s2 card, a s350, an ASUS hybrid and an avermedia dvb-t card in my HTPC and simply couldn't get any of them to work in Linux after spending hours and hours at it. Unless you have a card like a TBS that has linux support its all a PITA. DVBLINK pretty much recognizes every type of card you throw at it, if it has windows drivers, DVBlink will work with it.

I should be paid for selling this LOL.

• Advertisement

Unless you have a card like a TBS that has linux support its all a PITA. DVBLINK pretty much recognizes every type of card you throw at it, if it has windows drivers, DVBlink will work with it.

Linux does not "have support" for the TBS cards ....... TBS supplies Linux drivers, as they do Windows drivers.

Neither operating system can make use of the card without the drivers.

Would you buy hardware for use on Windows if the manufacturer did not provide Windows drivers?
    How about buying hardware for the MAC if the manufacturer did not provide suitable drivers?

So why do you expect to be able to use hardware on Linux without suitable drivers?

Maybe you don't ..... but that is the impression you have given ......

WOW, if my post was a target your reply is a N Korean missile test.

The OP is moving from windows to Linux so the purchase choice was windows support, not linux support.

Amazing you read my post so carefully and managed to miss the entire point of the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

I have a Hauppauge s2 card, a s350, an ASUS hybrid and an avermedia dvb-t card in my HTPC and simply couldn't get any of them to work in Linux after spending hours and hours at it. Unless you have a card like a TBS that has linux support its all a PITA. DVBLINK pretty much recognizes every type of card you throw at it, if it has windows drivers, DVBlink will work with it.

I should be paid for selling this LOL.

I'm surprised you couldn't get the Hauppaugge card to work as the support in Linux is very good.

@JohnBoy1951 makes a good point as the TBS Drivers must be separately downloaded and linked with your kernel which makes upgrades a bit more involved.

Linux provides an excellent platform that forms a very reliable base for media centre PCs. The package support for Tvheadend and XBMC make these a simple enough install for most people. Sorry to hear you struggled with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I've decided i'm going to install ESX on my server then virtual the different components. This should make it easier to trick around with Myth. While i'm working on that I can have SageTV and the likes running on a Windows VM.

What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Try them all until you find something you like.

There are a couple of other PVR solutions that you might want to try if you're going to be experimenting. Mediaportal would be the main one that springs to mind on windows. Has server and client architecture. has it's own client but server can work as a PVR backend for XBMC too.

Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement