Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Dev Tycoon

• 05-05-2013 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭

Has anyone played this yet,
    I picked it up last night, and before i knew it, its was 2 am, It's a very fun and addictive game, and tough in bits.

Linky-> http://www.greenheartgames.com/

I wasn't sure it this should go in here or in retro, so i put it here :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It appears to be a relatively direct clone (with minor variations) of Game Dev Story, but I guess if the developers of that weren't willing to produce a PC version than there is a market for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I played the demo twice. First time I went bankrupt, so I tried again. I did better, but that's not saying a whole lot when you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

This game is brilliant. Very addictive and enjoyable. Already played more of this than Sim City. I was so happy when my Vampire Racing Simulator hit the big time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SB2013 wrote: »
    This game is brilliant. Very addictive and enjoyable. Already played more of this than Sim City. I was so happy when my Vampire Racing Simulator hit the big time.

A smart choice. People have been crying out for a vampire racing simulator for absolutely ages. A criminally underserved demographic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Is this the game that if you have a pirated version, every time you play at a certain point your game starts to fail because of pirating? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Angron wrote: »
    Is this the game that if you have a pirated version, every time you play at a certain point your game starts to fail because of pirating? :pac:

Yep that'd be the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

getting to the stage where you can make AAA titles and MMO's is brilliant. Spamming rpg's seems to work for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

It appears to be a relatively direct clone (with minor variations) of Game Dev Story, but I guess if the developers of that weren't willing to produce a PC version than there is a market for it.

Have that one my android, wiled away a silly amount of hours on it... :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That looks really cool,I might have to get it at some point.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Again my issue with the game has to be the pacing. It just feels too fast. Maybe I need a turn based version. Also Id love a version that randomises which console is a success so you dont just skip publishing for the game gear,n64, cube and dreamcast (though I still do a game for pure nostalgia)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There's more indepth (albeit more amateur and less UI friendly) game dev games, such as the 3 Gamebiz games. I put weeks into the first Gamebiz years ago. Second one is just horrible UI but when you get around it it's quite complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

They put a cracked version up themselves in order to monitor it and with a code that made the game almost impossible to finish. The stats are pretty disgusting. 93% of players were using the pirated version. Here's the story.

http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/

I love the thought of pirates complaining to the devs about having trouble with pirating in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

RPG'S on the playsystem is a licence to print money, my rpg "Genesis Reality VII" became a cult hit :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A smart choice. People have been crying out for a vampire racing simulator for absolutely ages. A criminally underserved demographic.

I laughed so hard when I heard about this. I love it when devs are smart about this stuff. :)

93% piracy rate is really depressing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I laughed so hard when I heard about this. I love it when devs are smart about this stuff. :)

93% piracy rate is really depressing though.

buy it, you don't get any piracy at all when you own it :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

They are talking about the actual game piracy levels: http://hothardware.com/News/Easter-Egg-in-Pirated-Version-of-Game-Dev-Tycoon-Exposes-Harmful-Effects-of-Piracy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yeah, I meant the fact that 93% of people had pirated the game was depressing, not that there was piracy in the game. :P

I'll definitely be buying it next week once my exams are over just to give these guys props for fun anti-piracy measures. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I gave the demo another go. The demo, for those who don't know goes on for 5 years. I got $1.3 million by the end of the demo. A lot better than my previous two 'efforts'.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Foley48

Loving this game. Perfect mix of strat, management and gameplay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Foley48 wrote: »
    Loving this game. Perfect mix of strat, management and gameplay

It's not really... It's simplistic to say the least. It's a shame though as I love the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Foley48

I mean if you consider it a casual game as opposed to a "sit down and play for hours on end" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Meh I loved the first couple of goes. Very much a case of sit down and it's 6 hours later in a blink but then after reading a bit you play the game like:

PC platform. RPG topic A then RPG topic B and repeat for the entire game. Buff your staff stats between each game and there you go.... win all the money everytime. Takes all the fun out of it.

Advertisement