Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowpiercer - New Joon-ho Bong Film (The Host)

• 05-05-2013 3:31pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Posters emerging for Joon-ho Bong's new film, and his first in english. Its a post apocalyptic movie where the passengers of a train are the only remaining survivors. Seem to be a good mix of well known American actors mixed with Korean. Chirs Evans & Jaimie Bell are in it as is Kang-ho Song who I would love to see become a household name.

Posters have been released:

TxvisHS.jpg

yeNtFhF.jpg

LM5Vk9I.jpg

More characer posters here: http://imgur.com/a/db1Ah

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I can't wait for this. Of all the South Korean new wave directors making their first English language films, I most excited about Bong.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I can't wait for this. Of all the South Korean new wave directors making their first English language films, I most excited about Bong.

I get the impression he's had a bit more freedom with this than the others did.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's a 2-minute trailer out here.

I have now seen enough to confirm that I definitely am looking forward to this :D

Fysh wrote: »
    There's a 2-minute trailer out here.

I have now seen enough to confirm that I definitely am looking forward to this :D

I for one am incredibly excited. A big budget (well biggish budget) sci-fi from one of my favorite directors with a damn fine cast. Really cannot ask for more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ugh, im going to have to travel to dublin to see this aren't I

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah you can't beat a bit of speculative fiction wrapped into a clearly batty political microcosm. Looks solid though, am definitely keeping an eye out for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ugh, im going to have to travel to dublin to see this aren't I

We have cookies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Any idea of a date?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Any idea of a date?

Nothing released yet for UK or Ireland, according to IMDB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Very excited about this; Kang-ho Song, Tilda Swinton, Ed Harris, John Hurt, Alison Pill, all in a reasonably big budget sci-fi movie from a genuine original director in Joon-ho Bong. Sign me up. STAT!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

New International trailer out for this; no new footage mind you:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Animated short filling in the backstory behind this:

And another new trailer; nothing spoiler'y, just seems to be setting the tone a little more:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some serious Weinstein bull**** going down with this. Time to start getting vocal.

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/weinstein-thinks-you-are-too-dumb-for-snowpiercer.html

I think this is one instance where the swear filter should be turned off, because I can't express my feelings on this news without resorting to cursing.

Serious f*cking bullsh*t right there, unbelievable (yet entirely believable) crass, ignorant move by Weinstein.

And it'll just drive more people towards pirating the film rather than seeing it in the cinema. In this day & age it seems like a truly nonsensical move...

Oh FFS! :(

I don't understand why the likes of Weinstein actually pick up films like this for distribution when they demand that they be butchered for an audience who probably don't have any interest in the film anyway. If it takes ripping out 1/6 of the film to make it palatable to that audience (and will result in other audiences having the same butchered version foisted upon them), just don't pick up the damn rights in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sigh, the dumbing down of Hollywood continues unabashed.

Well they won't be getting money for a cinema ticket from me now.

Well perhaps if there's enough of a stink thrown up about this, they may back down? A decent online campaign might change some minds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Any chance of IFI or the like getting the uncut version?

• Advertisement

On one hand you have the movie industry crying about losing money and on the other this. yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Zombienosh wrote: »
    On one hand you have the movie industry crying about losing money and on the other this. yeah.

Or whinging about there being a lack of originality, then they chop the guts out of something original because some soccer moms in Nebraska won't understand it.

Well there's some promising news for those of us in R2-land, at least: the French distributor has stated on Twitter that they'll be releasing the uncut version on DVD. No guarantee they'll include English subs on the release, but if Weinstein's insistent on playing silly buggers then English subs on the French release would be a good way of guaranteeing a nice bunch of extra sales.

I'm still hoping to see this in the cinema, though.

That's good news - for once I'm happy about the French doing their own thing :) - but cold comfort for those keen as mustard to see the film on the big screen. Edited or not, the film may yet stink of course, but there's a dearth of good speculative fiction out there & I'm a sucker for a 'fun' dystopia; I was looking forward to seeing this in the cinema :(

krudler wrote: »
    Or whinging about there being a lack of originality, then they chop the guts out of something original because some soccer moms in Nebraska won't understand it.

This move has nothing to do with people finding the film hard to follow and all to do with Weinsten trying to squeeze out as many showings per day as he can. A 2 hour 5 minute film will have at least one less showing a day than a 100 minute film.

The plot thickens; according to Joon-Ho himself, they're still in discussions about what cut North America will get. He claims many European countries have already picked up the Directors Cut (no mention of the UK or Ireland, but France will be getting the full version), so even if Weinstein has his way, hopefully that imposition won't exist over here...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/snowpiercer-director-bong-joon-ho-623632

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Saw it a few weeks ago. Very good film. It definitely melds a Hollywood quest with some trademark out of left field scenes and the cast is uniformly good. Didn't even twig it was Chris Evans until the final 3rd!
    Some intriguing questions raised at the end, and the people I saw it with agreed it wasn't your typical brain dead production. Thought it would be a bit more visceral; I haven't the faintest idea why they would cut anything. Absolutely nothing disturbing, just sometimes mildly uncomfortable.

Recommended, might watch it again when it comes out in Ireland.

This is turning into a real humdinger; lawyers are now apparently getting involved and Weinstein not only wants 25 minutes cut from the original version (a version that is apparently testing better), but that voiceovers should be included to compensate. Voiceovers. To be written by Neil Gaiman for some strange reason. He also apparently refused screenings at North American festivals. So with all this in mind, where's good on the internet for purchasing French DVDs, cos it sure looks like we won't get to see this as Joon-ho intended :( (though at this rate the film could never live up to the hype it has generated thanks to this behind-the-scenes debacle)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/weinsteins-kept-snowpiercer-from-tiff-wanted-neil-gaiman-to-write-new-voiceovers-for-the-film-20131216

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's an excellent extended article on the saga by Tony Rayns in this month's Sight & Sound. Although couldn't help but be jealous of the constant reminders that he loved the film :pac:

Hopefully the Korean import is out before long, as apparently more or less the whole film is in English anyway.

• Advertisement

voiceovers :/

I'm still upset that the first time I saw Dark City it was the version with voiceovers, it's a whole other film without them.. a much better one.

I really wanna see this, people that have seen it are only saying great things.

pixelburp wrote: »
    This is turning into a real humdinger; lawyers are now apparently getting involved and Weinstein not only wants 25 minutes cut from the original version (a version that is apparently testing better), but that voiceovers should be included to compensate. Voiceovers. To be written by Neil Gaiman for some strange reason. He also apparently refused screenings at North American festivals. So with all this in mind, where's good on the internet for purchasing French DVDs, cos it sure looks like we won't get to see this as Joon-ho intended :( (though at this rate the film could never live up to the hype it has generated thanks to this behind-the-scenes debacle)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/weinsteins-kept-snowpiercer-from-tiff-wanted-neil-gaiman-to-write-new-voiceovers-for-the-film-20131216

Amazon.fr has it as a late March release. So it could be worse.
    There's an excellent extended article on the saga by Tony Rayns in this month's Sight & Sound. Although couldn't help but be jealous of the constant reminders that he loved the film :pac:

Hopefully the Korean import is out before long, as apparently more or less the whole film is in English anyway.

Yeah, I thought that was a fascinating read. Particularly the fact that Joon-Ho is actually in a position to argue/fight back since the film's original cut has done well overseas.
    voiceovers :/

I'm still upset that the first time I saw Dark City it was the version with voiceovers, it's a whole other film without them.. a much better one.

Dark City and Blade Runner are two films where the theatrical releases basically serve as proof of why voiceovers can easily be a crap idea.

Fysh wrote: »

That's great news, thanks for the link. An OK home release too by the looks of it; though now I'm wondering if amazon.fr can deliver to Ireland, cos naturally the DVD/BluRay isn't on the co.uk site...

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's great news, thanks for the link. An OK home release too by the looks of it; though now I'm wondering if amazon.fr can deliver to Ireland, cos naturally the DVD/BluRay isn't on the co.uk site...

Don't take this as gospel, but I'm reasonably sure a friend of mine has ordered comics from there to be delivered to the UK and/or Ireland, so I should think DVDs should be ok too. Certainly that's how I'm planning on watching Snowpiercer since Weinstein made clear his intentions to act the mickeyhead with the anglophone-region release...

i ordered a gfx card from amazon.de and it arrived fine. took a little longer but no worries or hassle at all

surely the jp/kr/hk version will be up on yesasia at some point soon enough anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Korean and HK releases should be out before the French one. Either way read reviews first. French Blus often have forced French subtitles. And HK and Korean Blu-rays usually have inferior picture quality due to excessive filtering or compression. I'm still waiting on a decent, uncut release of The Grandmaster to turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

I walked into this in a cinema in the Philippines yesterday having never heard of it before.

I thought it was a wonderful wonderful movie and I was dismayed to later read of what's going on with it.

Still well worth watching, no matter what version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

When I saw this was bumped I started thinking this'd be a perfect surprise film for JDIFF. :(

Looks like the Joon-Ho / Weinstein saga has reached a bittersweet resolution: while the movie will be uncut for the US release, the trade-off is it won't get a general release; instead it'll play at selected theatres where it can die a death at the box office, thus validating Weinstein's stance. I guess now if nothing else it'll guarantee its cult status!

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/bong-joon-ho-and-harvey-weinstein-reach-truce-on-snowpiercer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

****ing ridiculous that Weinstein can be so bull-headed and stubborn over roughly 20 minutes of film. I've little respect for the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Sounds like a decent deal for both parties. What does that mean for UK/Ireland distribution?

The same presumedly as Harvey owns the UK rights as well.

Wasn't particularly likely to light up the box office anyway, so I think this is a very positive solution to a silly problem.

They should just stop trusting Weinstein with any foreign films that aren't completely inoffensive or bland.

was this ever going to play anywhere other than the ifi/lightouse anyway?

seems about as good a deal as we were likely to get

unless I learn carlow omniplex was just dying to get their hands on it, i'm pretty happy about this

was this ever going to play anywhere other than the ifi/lightouse anyway?

seems about as good a deal as we were likely to get

unless I learn carlow omniplex was just dying to get their hands on it, i'm pretty happy about this

I'm pretty sure that it would have gotten a pretty big release over here and hope that it still will. It's stuffed with familiar faces and with Evans' Captain America 2 sure to light up the box office it would have done well off of the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Was there not a trailer showing people getting onto the train?

Or am i thinking of a different movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Finally got to see this last night. Really enjoyed it

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Noticed it leaked over the weekend

How come there's a DVD cut out already considering it wasn't meant to be in cinemas until June 27th.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/snowpiercer/

From the Wiki page:
    Snowpiercer was released on August 1, 2013, in South Korea.[2] According to Box Office Mojo, Snowpiercer is scheduling to release on June 27, 2014, in the United States, and is distributed by Radius-TWC.[4]

Whatever has happened here they've managed to ensure a DVD rip would be available 2 months before it's released in Europe/USA. Someone has dropped a clanger here.

the leaked version is missing half an hour though

Noticed it leaked over the weekend

How come there's a DVD cut out already considering it wasn't meant to be in cinemas until June 27th.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/snowpiercer/

From the Wiki page:

Whatever has happened here they've managed to ensure a DVD rip would be available 2 months before it's released in Europe/USA. Someone has dropped a clanger here.

It was released in a number of countrues before Christmas. I've the French Blu-Ray on order, think it's released early next month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement