Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowpiercer - New Joon-ho Bong Film (The Host)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Loved it.

Last quarter/third less so but overall a great movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Finally saw this yesterday on Netflix, bummed I didn't get to see it on the big screen but I had no choice in the end.

Really enjoyable film all round and it's a real shame it got buried as it's so far ahead of most of the big hollywood movies of the last year. The premise is silly but the film is anything but. I can't wait to see what Joon-Ho Bong does next.

Weinstein had gold in his hands and he flushed it down the toilet.
    Gold? Seriously? I assume you mean metaphorically and not that Weinstein has lost tens of millions in revenue based on how he handled its release?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Gold? Seriously? I assume you mean metaphorically and not that Weinstein has lost tens of millions in revenue based on how he handled its release?

No, he meant Weinstein literally had some gold in his hands, then he put it in a toilet and flushed it down into the sewer. It's more of a comment on Weinstein's bad eyesight and idiosyncratic hobbies than the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Just imported this on blu-ray so I can watch it in the best quality I can under the circumstances.

Gonna watch it tonight, sod Harvey Weinstein anyway.

Really really enjoyed it. Puts all of the year's blockbusters to shame tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Enjoyable, but drawn out. Could have done with a bit of editing IMHO. Also the most annoying thing for me through the entire movie was the lack of train motion - it just felt like it was shot on a set: had they even shook the cameras a la Star Trek they would have imbued a better sense of reality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Enjoyable, but drawn out. Could have done with a bit of editing IMHO. Also the most annoying thing for me through the entire movie was the lack of train motion - it just felt like it was shot on a set: had they even shook the cameras a la Star Trek they would have imbued a better sense of reality.

Harvey Weinstein, is that you?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

I liked this. Worth the watch

A nice find!

Certainly better than some cinema releases of late!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Par for the course with me, but I belatedly saw this and more than usual I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to do so in the cinema, because that's where a creature like this belongs, no matter how big the screen might be at home.

It's one of the films of the year imo, certainly the best 'blockbuster' if we're chalking up the films with big ideas and big visuals, though I appreciate people's appreciation may depend on how willing you are to suspend belief and buy into the central premise. That said, it was clear to me this train was less a literal concept, and more a vehicle (ho ho!) for the allegorical concept it was trying to portray - a horrible dystopian class system rigidly applied in the most direct sense. Sure, if you thought about it, the train couldn't possibly exist in the real world, but Joon-ho Bong committed fully to the presentation of Snowpiercer as an absurd, cautionary fairytale, a dark dream full of odd, off kilter images such as the fish-gutting or the scene within the classroom; the brain was never allowed to dwell too long on the reality of it all, keeping the pacing snappy and constant, all forward momentum easily applied with the protagonists literal quest towards the front of the train.

The notion this film was ever under threat of shortening/editing feels repugnant to me to be honest, the heart and soul were the characters: nothing would have worked if it didn't have the human beings trapped within this steel nightmare. Without those moments it would have all been a hollow, inherently daft exercise, with them the film became heart-breaking, intense, hopeless. I was impressed by Chris Pine to be fair, the shadow of the deadpan Captain America is going to be hard to shake-off, but the range he showed gave enough evidence that he should be more than capable of shaking off the Captain's duds when he chooses to leave the Marvel franchise.

The already much-embedded Every Frame a Painting made a very analysis of the film and its use of left-right space to great effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

The influence of George Miller's Mad Max trilogy was very evident throughout the film, particularly the often unfairly derided Beyond Thunderdome. Ewen Bremner's character even bore an uncanny resemblance to Bruce Spence!

It's baffling that this hasn't found a distributor in Britain and Ireland yet.

Anyone know why Jamie Bell, who apparently was raised on the train since birth, had an Irish accent, but no one else did?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

iv seen it. brillant film

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Watched this recently on US Netflix to see what all the fuss was about.

An over-hyped mess for me. Some interesting visuals but the praise it got was ridiculous.

5/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

OK so after hearing some good and some meh things about this want to give it a looksee.

On Amazon UK site there doesn't appear to be a release Amazon ship, and there is like French versions and all sorts.

What version should I be looking out for here? It looks extremely expensive in the few places I've seen it online. €30-35 which is a bit mental

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

TheDoc wrote: »
    OK so after hearing some good and some meh things about this want to give it a looksee.

On Amazon UK site there doesn't appear to be a release Amazon ship, and there is like French versions and all sorts.

What version should I be looking out for here? It looks extremely expensive in the few places I've seen it online. €30-35 which is a bit mental

There's only one cut of the film afaik so get the cheapest you can find. It's on a foreign Netflix region too but I can't remember which one.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's only one cut of the film afaik so get the cheapest you can find. It's on a foreign Netflix region too but I can't remember which one.

Ah right cool. Thanks.

Was on Netflix US last time I checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

IvaBigWun wrote: »

An over-hyped mess for me. Some interesting visuals but the praise it got was ridiculous.

5/10

Agreed. Not a film for everyone - especially those who don't like films where one guy goes in to a room, kills 20 people with kung fu etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

TheDoc wrote: »

The Blu-ray is $12.99 on Amazon.com right now. That's $19.49 (about €17, so no customs problems) with postage. It's a 2-disk set.
    http://www.amazon.com/Snowpiercer-Blu-ray-Chris-Evans/dp/B00M7D824O/ref=sr_1_2_twi_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1421924808&sr=1-2&keywords=snowpiercer

Forgot to mention it's Region A only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Enjoyable, if a little predictable.

• Advertisement

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    The Blu-ray is $12.99 on Amazon.com right now. That's $19.49 (about €17, so no customs problems) with postage. It's a 2-disk set.
    http://www.amazon.com/Snowpiercer-Blu-ray-Chris-Evans/dp/B00M7D824O/ref=sr_1_2_twi_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1421924808&sr=1-2&keywords=snowpiercer

Forgot to mention it's Region A only.

When did Amazon US start shipping bluray to Ireland? holy ****.

I only ever check .co.uk for blurays- and there was various versions all very expensive and weren't being sold by Amazon themselves.

Cheers though, I'll be using .com in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

They always have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

IvaBigWun wrote: »

5/10

Pretty much this in a nutshell. Started out good but the fight scenes were Meh and the special effects were terrible !!

The final third dragged and any big reveal was signposted a mile off.

Advertisement