Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Team's Worst Premiership XI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Antonio Nunez and Djimi Traore still give me nightmares. Dossena deserves a mention as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Could probably make five City teams to be fair but here goes -

David Seaman

Laurent Charvet
    Michael Frontzeck
    David Sommeil

Nigel Clough
    Martin Phillips
    Steve McManaman
    Jim Whitley

Carl Griffiths
    Gerry Creaney
    Lee Bradbury

Thankfully Phillips played exactly 15 games, the new Ryan Giggs my hole :rolleyes:

Bob Taylor only played 12 times sadly, while George Weah, Stefan Savic and Christian Negouai who also failed to reach the banchmark number of games unfortunately.

Honorable mentions to Kiki Musampa, Bernardo Corradi and Rolando Bianchi amongst others who are simply lucky that we've had so much shit over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Fulham:

Tony Warner

Zat Knight Toni Kallio Christanval

Jari Litmannen Bjorn Helge Riise Julian Gray Ki-Hyeon Seol

Shefki Kuqi David Healy Eddie Johnson

Poor ole Knight, I see he's already made someones Aston Villa team above and now makes a 2nd appearance for another club. He should never have been a premiership footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd probably be able to fill in 5 teams, but using the criteria:
    Nicolas Medina.

I'm sure I'm not the only CM01/02 fan who though "what a talent, can't believe he slipped through the net" as they red that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

COYVB wrote: »
    Bakke was a loan for half a season, hardly a huge flop. Kachloul is in my team. Hadji wasn't too bad at Villa, certainly a lot more useful than Kinsella. Lamptey and Balaban didn't play enough games to qualify. Crouch was a tough call, but I went for Heskey instead given that he was the beginning of the end for Villa challenging at the top end. Collymore definitely doesn't deserve to be in there ahead of Allback, because bad and all a signing as he was, he was far better than the Swede.

Christ, Luc Nilis was more effective at Villa than Allback, and he only lasted 3 games before he had to retire
    This is about the worst lineup and Crouch was a lot worse for Villa than Heskey. Harewood was already mentioned in this thread and is another who was worse than Heskey and lets not forget Milan Baros and Guy Whittingham.

Recent midfielders like Ireland and Makoun are big shouts too.

How on earth have you J Lloyd Samuel in there btw? He did very well at Villa for a season or two. Wouldn't Nicky Shorey be a better shout there or de la Cruz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

here is my United team...surprised to see people mentioning David May in there, a lad who scored one of the goals that won us a league in 96 AND was our man of the match in the 99 fa cup final...people have a clue!

the 15 game rule, means a few like Taibi and some brutal younger lads miss out
    Carroll

Wallwork
    Blanc
    Silvestre
    Miller
    Richardson
    Smith---Djemba Djemba

Bebe
    Bellion

Forlan

Subs -
    Van Der Gouw
    Chadwick
    Cruyff
    Fortune
    Greening

Being fair, the back 4 is really really harsh (exception of Richardson )as they all werent poor by any means and id have picked 5 different players (Taibi, Casper etc etc) had i not been restricted by the 15 game rule, i know Bebe has not played 15 games, but he has to be an exception given the transfer fee.

when you look back at some of them players, what on earth was Fergie thinking? alarmingly, a good few of them have PL medals, some even more than one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Van der Gouw was actually decent keeper. But 15 game rule I guess maybe he unlucky.

Bosnich was worse though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Carroll
    Bardsley
    May
    Wallwork
    Fortune
    Bellion
    Djemba-Djemba
    Kleberson
    Miller
    Chadwick
    Forlan

Forcing players in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Shevchenko to chelsea was a serious let down. was expecting stunning things from him there

• Advertisement

Forcing players in there!

May is the only one who shouldnt be in there, the rest were/are all brutal.

May is the only one who shouldnt be in there, the rest were/are all brutal.
    Surely Bosnich has to be the keeper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

eagle eye wrote: »
    Surely Bosnich has to be the keeper?

As bad as Bosnich was, I think Taibi really made that position his own despite only playing 4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Dossena gets a pass for me thanks to the two goals in the wins over United and Madrid. The man was awful but I'll always remember him fondly because that was so funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

What's with the David May hate from Utd supporters?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I didn't realise you had Brolin in it. He was a striker though not a winger.

Played on the wing for Leeds, which is partly why he didn't do so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

adox wrote: »

+1

He was far from poor player. He scored cracking OG on his debut against Rangers in friendly and people had it in for him since then.

Was it his name, hair, looks I don't know but not half as poor as some make out.

Nothing world class but not the hopeless player some make out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

In my lifetime, two teams in particular stood out for Liverpool as being truly awful. The 1993 team that Souness had was one and the team of Woy a few years ago was the other.

GK - Doni - He's hardly a cult Liverpool hero for his footballing ability.
    CB - Torben Piechnik - We thought we were getting a Danish European Championship, instead we got a lad who was painfully out of his depth.
    CB - Nicky Tanner - How he lasted so long at our club is a mystery to me. Remember being at Anfield a long time ago hearing the groans as he was about to be subbed on.
    RB - Abel Xavier - Can still remember the hype when he joined us, some people at the time seemed to think he was going to be a great player. He certainly dispelled them of that notion
    LB - Paul Konchesky - I'll say one thing about Konchesky he did make some kind of effort. His problem was that he was a Championship standard player who had a purple patch before he came to us.
    CM - Paul Stewart - We thought we were buying an England international - instead we ended up with a pub team player who rapidly went into decline once he signed on the dotted line for us.
    CM - Salif Diao - It was between himself and Poulsen for the other central midfield spot - chose Diao because we bizarrely paid money for him.
    RM - Ryan Babel - We paid massive money for this lad only to find out that he had no footballing ability whatsoever. To think he came from the Ajax academy is a travesty.
    LM - Milan Jovanovic - Picking Jovanovic for the simple reason that he was paid a ridiculous amount of money (some speculate £80k a week) and was useless.
    CF - David Ngog - Like Babel, he had the physical ability to be a top centre forward. Unfortunately, he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.
    CF - El Hadji Diouf - We've had other equally useless strikers, but Diouf takes the biscuit for being such a vile human being. Probably the worst signing the club has ever made.

Nunez has to be in there instead of Babel!

Istvan Kozma only misses out by not playing enough games :D

I'd nearly throw Mike Hooper in as keeper, he never even looked fit throughout his career!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Liverpool To try an alternate the above selection

Itandje Kirkland

Traore
    Kvarme
    Kronkamp
    Pellegrino Josemi

Poulsen
    Cheyrou
    Kennedy

Dundee Riedle - great player in Germany but his legs were gone
    El Zhar (general dislike for him for some reason)
    Voronin

Lol, two Liverpool worst teams picked and no sign of Florent Sinama Pongole, David N'Gog or Albert Riera.

Torben Piechnik was a great shout, I have to admit that I thought Liverpool had bought a great one when they signed him.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lol, two Liverpool worst teams picked and no sign of Florent Sinama Pongole, David N'Gog or Albert Riera.

N'Gog was in the first team. :confused: While Riera and Pongole should never be making a worst 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Torben Piechnik was a great shout, I have to admit that I thought Liverpool had bought a great one when they signed him.:o

Your eagle eye is letting you down, because I see N'Gog in one of them. As for Pongolle, his goal against Olympiakos gives him a bye. Riera was actually quite decent for Liverpool in his first season. Gave us a different dynamic that season and was a rather important cog in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Pongolle scored against Olympiakos didn't he? I've been very generous for players scoring big goals or doing something I liked hence why Dossena, Biscan and Mellor are off the list.

Riera was ok I thought definitely had far worse than him, regarding NGog I read the previous page with him and Diouf, guess it must have been Bolton I was reading [EDIT] it wasn't!

adox wrote: »

probably were not born then or supported somebody else....
    Dossena gets a pass for me thanks to the two goals in the wins over United and Madrid. The man was awful but I'll always remember him fondly because that was so funny.

baffling logic, Forlan scored a brace at anfield (and a winning one at that), a last minute winner V Chelsea amongest a few other great goals...you will however find few United fans arguing that he wasnt one of the the worst players to play for the club (for a decent period/amount of games) in the past 10 years....the lad was pretty much hopeless.

liking a player is different to admitting they were awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Riera was very good on his day and played a big part in Liverpool's decent 08/09 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well it's weird because people usually pick players who were actually decent. Allback was worse than useless at Villa, so unless you're Swedish it just seems a bit odd
    Im going to guess you werent a fan at all of him and leave it at that, but I liked him and would liked to have seen him play more

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

In my lifetime, two teams in particular stood out for Liverpool as being truly awful. The 1993 team that Souness had was one and the team of Woy a few years ago was the other.

GK - Doni - He's hardly a cult Liverpool hero for his footballing ability.
    CB - Torben Piechnik - We thought we were getting a Danish European Championship, instead we got a lad who was painfully out of his depth.
    CB - Nicky Tanner - How he lasted so long at our club is a mystery to me. Remember being at Anfield a long time ago hearing the groans as he was about to be subbed on.
    RB - Abel Xavier - Can still remember the hype when he joined us, some people at the time seemed to think he was going to be a great player. He certainly dispelled them of that notion
    LB - Paul Konchesky - I'll say one thing about Konchesky he did make some kind of effort. His problem was that he was a Championship standard player who had a purple patch before he came to us.
    CM - Paul Stewart - We thought we were buying an England international - instead we ended up with a pub team player who rapidly went into decline once he signed on the dotted line for us.
    CM - Salif Diao - It was between himself and Poulsen for the other central midfield spot - chose Diao because we bizarrely paid money for him.
    RM - Ryan Babel - We paid massive money for this lad only to find out that he had no footballing ability whatsoever. To think he came from the Ajax academy is a travesty.
    LM - Milan Jovanovic - Picking Jovanovic for the simple reason that he was paid a ridiculous amount of money (some speculate £80k a week) and was useless.
    CF - David Ngog - Like Babel, he had the physical ability to be a top centre forward. Unfortunately, he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo.
    CF - El Hadji Diouf - We've had other equally useless strikers, but Diouf takes the biscuit for being such a vile human being. Probably the worst signing the club has ever made.
    agree with most of them bar babel and ngog. Sean dundee or voronin were both worse than ngog. Babel wasnt that bad nunez should take his place. Honourable mentions to el zhar, cheyrou, song, kvarme, aquilani,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Sean Dundee and Eric Mejier should be in every worst liverpool team. Dossena was absolutely shocking for us too.

EDIT: Konchesky far worse tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

probably were not born then or supported somebody else....

baffling logic, Forlan scored a brace at anfield (and a winning one at that), a last minute winner V Chelsea amongest a few other great goals...you will however find few United fans arguing that he wasnt one of the the worst players to play for the club (for a decent period/amount of games) in the past 10 years....the lad was pretty much hopeless.

liking a player is different to admitting they were awful.

Forlan's general play was very good, he was a bit like the current day Torres imo, because the breaks weren't going for him it was very easy to write him off as a bad player but his link up and positional play were still very good. He was getting better all the time and it was a mistake selling him. Definitely wouldn't have him as one of the worst players. If he was so hopeless why did he go on to be the best striker in La Liga for a couple of seasons and World Cup best player(!)?

My Blackburn worst 11, there are so many that could be in there. The likes of Khizanishvili, Dailly, Davies, Ward, Blake, Ferguson, Petrovic, Vukcevic, Valery and many others could be in there.
    Manager is Steve Kean of course although he has good competition from two turkies this season called Henning Berg and Michael Appleton as well as Paul Ince.
    Filan
    Chimbonda
    Amoruso
    Coleman
    Gresko

Vukcevic
    Grella
    Murphy
    Valery

Grabbi
    Ostenstad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

This is about the worst lineup and Crouch was a lot worse for Villa than Heskey. Harewood was already mentioned in this thread and is another who was worse than Heskey and lets not forget Milan Baros and Guy Whittingham.

Recent midfielders like Ireland and Makoun are big shouts too.

How on earth have you J Lloyd Samuel in there btw? He did very well at Villa for a season or two. Wouldn't Nicky Shorey be a better shout there or de la Cruz?

Heskey was a disaster for Villa, far worse than the others you mentioned. His arrival signalled a change from a system that was working to one that didn't.

Ireland won our POTY last year, and Makoun didn't play enough games

JLloyd Samuel is in there because he was awful bar about 4 games. De La Cruz could certainly have gone in, shorey wasn't quite bad enough to be considered (tells you something about how highly I rated Samuel)

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Forlan's general play was very good, he was a bit like the current day Torres imo, because the breaks weren't going for him it was very easy to write him off as a bad player but his link up and positional play were still very good. He was getting better all the time and it was a mistake selling him. Definitely wouldn't have him as one of the worst players. If he was so hopeless why did he go on to be the best striker in La Liga for a couple of seasons and World Cup best player(!)?

what he did after or before united, is totally irrelevant, the facts remain that he was brutal for us. it was pityful watching him at the best of times.

Heskey was a disaster for Villa, far worse than the others you mentioned. His arrival signalled a change from a system that was working to one that didn't.

Ireland won our POTY last year, and Makoun didn't play enough games

JLloyd Samuel is in there because he was awful bar about 4 games. De La Cruz could certainly have gone in, shorey wasn't quite bad enough to be considered (tells you something about how highly I rated Samuel)
    Samuel played 169 times for Villa, he wasn't that bad for most of it. He did go to pot towards the end of his time there in fairness but de la Cruz was way worse over his time at Villa.

Heskey got man of the match awards for Villa. He wasn't a good goalscorer but he worked very hard for the team and was never the worst player on the park in any game I seen him play for Villa. This seems to be about a personal dislike for the player rather than a judgement on how good/bad he was imo. There are so many who have played with Villa who were so much worse than him. Crouch was just horrendous there, its not even close between him and Heskey as to which was worse.

Heskey is there because his arrival changed a winning system. We were never the same after signing him. Probably not his fault, but in terms of disastrous signings, he's up there with the worst in the premiership years

Heskey is there because his arrival changed a winning system. We were never the same after signing him. Probably not his fault, but in terms of disastrous signings, he's up there with the worst in the premiership years
    This thread is worst 11 and you are right that if the system changed its not his fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Everton...where do I start?

Richard Wright
    Marc Hottiger
    Carl Tiler
    Allsendro Pistone

John Oster
    Claus Thomsen
    Vinny Samways
    Stephen Hughes
    Andy Van Der Meyde

Steven Naismith
    Brett Angell

Subs Simonsen, Cleland, Scot Gemmill, James McFadden, Jo, Beattie, Simon Davies,

This thread is worst 11 and you are right that if the system changed its not his fault.

It's my thread and I can pick who I want :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Samuel played 169 times for Villa, he wasn't that bad for most of it. He did go to pot towards the end of his time there in fairness but de la Cruz was way worse over his time at Villa.

Heskey got man of the match awards for Villa. He wasn't a good goalscorer but he worked very hard for the team and was never the worst player on the park in any game I seen him play for Villa. This seems to be about a personal dislike for the player rather than a judgement on how good/bad he was imo. There are so many who have played with Villa who were so much worse than him. Crouch was just horrendous there, its not even close between him and Heskey as to which was worse.
    Crouch had a record of 1 goal in 6 for Villa, Heskey was nearer to 1 goal in 10.

Your right, it's not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Everton...where do I start?

Richard Wright
    Marc Hottiger
    Carl Tiler
    Allsendro Pistone

John Oster
    Claus Thomsen
    Vinny Samways
    Stephen Hughes
    Andy Van Der Meyde

Steven Naismith
    Brett Angell

Subs Simonsen, Cleland, Scot Gemmill, James McFadden, Jo, Beattie, Simon Davies,

Alex nycaro? Or something like that? The guy a fan ran on to the pitch and ripped up his season book on front of iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Alex nycaro? Or something like that? The guy a fan ran on to the pitch and ripped up his season book on front of iirc

Dont think he was that bad a player though. We've had a lot worse who should have had the shirts taken off them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I can't believe this hasn't turned into a 'My shit Liverpool team is worse than your shit Man Utd team' thread yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Everton

Paul Gerrard

Slaven Bilic
    Per Kroldrup
    Marco Matterazzi
    Gary Naysmith

Nicholas Alexandersson
    Alex Nyarko
    Tobias Linderoth
    Andy Van Der Meyde

Ibrahim Bakayoko
    Joe-Max Moore

Most of these players have quite a few caps at international level, but for Everton they were all complete sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Bosnich

Wallwork
    Blanc(sorry)
    Richardson
    Cryuff
    Kleberson
    Djembax2
    Poborsky

Bellion
    Forlan
    Chadwick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Riera was very good on his day.

Was his day Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Was his day Friday?

I actually really rated Riera (alliteration ftw!) when he was on loan at City. Wanted us to sign him permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I actually really rated Riera (alliteration ftw!) when he was on loan at City. Wanted us to sign him permanently.

I'd like to hear Alan Smith try and say that :)

He wasn't bad until he had to do something in the final third. No end product. He did look decent enough for his first few games with Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Riera wouldn't be in the worst Liverpool Premier League team, not with Nunez and Mark Walters there to play on the left and right.

Walters used to do my head in, he wouldn't beat eggs but he would prob be saved from most people's teams for his goal against Utd in the last old First Division season that won Leeds the league. The Auxerre goal would also be in his favour.

Bjornebye would come into contention in the centre back position, him and Piechnik played a few games as a pairing when they first joined and they were awful. Stig proved to be a decent left back but his first few games at CB were shocking.

Nigel Clough just escapes a nomination cos of 4th January 1994 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

@ United fans

Stop picking David May in a worst XI !!!!

When fit and in the team he was a consistent performer. Had one particularly good season where he was a contender for club player of the year.

He was injured a fair bit but when he played he was actaully pretty good and does not deserve to be mentioned in a thread of flops. Let's leave that to the likes of Taibi, Kleberson, Dejema-Djemba, Bellion and others, who actually were useless. David May was a good player.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    @ United fans

Stop picking David May in a worst XII !!!!

When fit and in the team he was a consistent performer. Had one particularly good season where he was a contender for club player of the year.

He was injured a fair bit but when he played he was actaully pretty good and does not deserve to be mentioned in a thread of flops. Let's leave that to the likes of Taibi, Kleberson, Dejema-Djemba, Bellion and others, who actually were useless. David May was a good player.

I think people are having a problem fitting in defenders, its a position we have been blessed in thankfully in the Premier League era. If only Prunier had played 15 games, would solve a lot of formation problems

I had to stick Blanc in there who I dont even think was horrendous, his leadership and organisational skills etc were a good asset. He was just old!

May is a legend, but he was not an out of this world defender, certainly not worthy of a place in the best or worst team of the Premier League however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

kryogen wrote: »
    I think people are having a problem fitting in defenders, its a position we have been blessed in thankfully in the Premier League era. If only Prunier had played 15 games, would solve a lot of formation problems

I had to stick Blanc in there who I dont even think was horrendous, his leadership and organisational skills etc were a good asset. He was just old!

May is a legend, but he was not an out of this world defender, certainly not worthy of a place in the best or worst team of the Premier League however.

While not terrible either, Silvestre should be in every United team ahead of May. The fact that Fegie was happy to sell him to Arsenal tells it all.

Still have nightmares about that period in 2003–04 season when himself and Brown were paired up after Ferdinand's ban. At least Brown had the excuse of injuries during his time and made up for it in later years.

morza-incog-blat-Jax-BH-Knex-redz-eli
    abEWesLacr.jpgabEVPPXafg.jpgabEV9hValY.jpg
    Z4RMZbX.jpgabEVPtqaoy.jpgabEV9SBaiI.jpg
    abEYNJNahf.jpgabEYCBaano.jpg

jimjamcos wrote: »
    While not terrible either, Silvestre should be in every United team ahead of May. The fact that Fegie was happy to sell him to Arsenal tells it all.

Still have nightmares about that period in 2003–04 season when himself and Brown were paired up after Ferdinand's ban. At least Brown had the excuse of injuries during his time and made up for it in later years.

Ah I never disliked Silvestre, he was decent at left back, particularly when he arrived first, was a good servant over the years, he clocked up 9 seasons altogether didnt he?

He could have the distinction of being in two clubs worst XIs though theoretically :)

Wouldnt be in mine

• Advertisement
Advertisement