Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Team's Worst Premiership XI

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Pretty hard to do for Arsenal. Loads of defenders, a couple of strikers but not many stand outs in midfield.

Wright

Silvestre
    Squillaci
    Stepanovs
    Santos (a lot of S names.....)

Denilson
    Arshavin
    Reyes

Jeffers
    Chamakh
    Bendtner

Not the most balanced and some are questionable but it'll do me. Lupoli, Aliadiere and Park were all options up front but two didnt play enough and Ali wasnt as bad as the three I included. Not sure if Wright even managed the 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Could probably make five City teams to be fair but here goes -

David Seaman

Laurent Charvet
    Michael Frontzeck
    David Sommeil

Nigel Clough
    Martin Phillips
    Steve McManaman
    Jim Whitley

Carl Griffiths
    Gerry Creaney
    Lee Bradbury

Thankfully Phillips played exactly 15 games, the new Ryan Giggs my hole :rolleyes:

Bob Taylor only played 12 times sadly, while George Weah, Stefan Savic and Christian Negouai who also failed to reach the banchmark number of games unfortunately.

Honorable mentions to Kiki Musampa, Bernardo Corradi and Rolando Bianchi amongst others who are simply lucky that we've had so much shit over the years.

All overseen by Phil Neal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea :

GK: Hilario
    DF: Ben Haim
    DF: Duberry
    DF: Boulahooruz (sp)
    DF: Del Horno
    MF: Morris
    MF: Ambrosetti
    MF: Dalla Bonna
    MF: Veron
    FW: Sutton
    FW: Kezman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Chelsea :

GK: Hilario
    DF: Ben Haim
    DF: Duberry
    DF: Boulahooruz (sp)
    DF: Del Horno
    MF: Morris
    MF: Ambrosetti
    MF: Dalla Bonna
    MF: Veron
    FW: Sutton
    FW: Kezman

considering the fee paid, would torres not be first on yere list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He hasn't been worse then Sutton (remember the fee paid for him at the time!) :)

considering the fee paid, would torres not be first on yere list?

Not with Kezman and Sutton, neither were good enough and barely done anything of note for the club.

I had to Wiki Kezmans stats, 25 League games, 4 goals.

Sutton 20 league games, 1 goal.

While Torres fee was huge he's at least got a better goal scoring record and offered more as a player to the team then either of the above.

I'd have Shevchenko over Torres too as at least in Torres case he's stuck around and tried to turn it around while the others high tailed it.

Worse strikers for me, Sutton, Kezman, Sheva.

Mutu was a good player but the cocaine use cost him big time and still is.
    Crespo has family/personal issues otherwise I was hoping we'd keep him.

kryogen wrote: »
    He hasn't been worse then Sutton (remember the fee paid for him at the time!) :)

Dont remind us. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Considering he cost a club record fee, big bucks at the time, Paul Furlong is worth an honorable mention.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Considering he cost a club record fee, big bucks at the time, Paul Furlong is worth an honorable mention.

Theres a blast from the past. :o

Think he cost us in and around 2 million when we signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

kryogen wrote: »

May is a legend.

Really??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Really??? :D

I fail to see the funny in that?

May is a legend! It may be more for his post career, off the field stuff, but David May is a legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Arsenal

Surprised nobody has mentioned for me the worst Arsenal player of the last 25years, and he was Irish too:

Almunia,

Silvestre, Squillachi, Stepanovs, Santos,

Eddie McGoldrick, David Hillier, Glenn Helder,

Chris Kimomya, Francis Jeffers, Christoper Wreh

There were a few others from the early Wenger era like Remi Garde and some from the Stewart Houston, Bruce Rioch and George Graham who could probably make the grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Arsenal

Surprised nobody has mentioned for me the worst Arsenal player of the last 25years, and he was Irish too:

Almunia,

Silvestre, Squillachi, Stepanovs, Santos,

Eddie McGoldrick, David Hillier, Glenn Helder,

Chris Kimomya, Francis Jeffers, Christoper Wreh

There were a few others from the early Wenger era like Remi Garde and some from the Stewart Houston, Bruce Rioch and George Graham who could probably make the grade.

Vital player in the run-in in the 97/98 season. I wouldnt have him in there, Chamakh has to get the nod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Don't agree with Hilario being the worst goalkeeper Chelsea have had in the Premier League era, Gav. He's been good when called upon (howler of a game against City in 09/10 notwithstanding). I remember several huge performances from him when Cech (and sometimes Cudicini) were out. The most memorable for me being a MOTM performance against Liverpool, again in 09/10.

He was reliable and solid, if unspectacular, whenever he was called upon. I always had a bit of a soft spot for him, so maybe that tints my opinion of him a bit, but I think Hitchcock was a far worse goalkeeper than Hilario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Amazing, 8 pages in and no mention of Jens Lehmann yet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Lars1916 wrote: »

Because he was a great keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

For Liverpool I would pick Sean Dundee, Bjorne Tore Kvarme, Erik Meijer, Frode Kippe and Djimi Traore

keano_afc wrote: »
    Because he was a great keeper.

But didn't he loose his place in the starting XI to Alumnia? Sorry, am not an Arsenal supporter, only kind of followed Lehmann's trail after he left Dortmund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Liverpool:

i'm aware the goalie doesn't fit the criteria, but I couldn't pick one. if I had to, Friedel, as he never made an impression. but i'd rather just have a pass for Charlie....anyway....

Itandje
    Xavier
    Tanner
    Piechnik
    Konchesky
    Nunez
    Cheyrou
    Diao
    El Zhar
    Diouf
    Voronin

frightening.

it even looks ugly and shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Lehman was a quality keeper, mad as a box of frogs but an excellent keeper.

He played the entrire season in 2004 as part of the Invincibles, was MOTM in the 2005 FA Cup Fihal against Man Utd and in 2006 was voted on to the UEFA European teanm of the year. Id include him on our best Premier League team tbh.

Gotta agree, Lehmann was mental but a good keeper IMO.

Lehman was a quality keeper, mad as a box of frogs but an excellent keeper.

He played the entrire season in 2004 as part of the Invincibles, was MOTM in the 2005 FA Cup Fihal against Man Utd and in 2006 was voted on to the UEFA European teanm of the year. Id include him on our best Premier League team tbh.

Aren't goalkeepers always a bit crazy? ;)

He had his awful moments, when he played for Borussia Dortmund though, some hillarious blunders, which costed us some points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Absolutely crazy suggestion!:)

You don't go unbeaten for a season with a dodgy keeper, he had a wobble in 04/05 which led to him being dropped for 10 games after which he came back better than ever to the extent that he dislodged Oliver Kahn from the Germany team ahead of the 2006 World Cup and was named 05/06 UEFA keeper of the year. Had an excellent 06/07. Made an error or two at the start of the next season and was harshly dropped.

I'd imagine I speak for a lot of Arsenal fans when I voice my displeasure at permanently dropping him in 2007, he should have been restored after a few games on the sidelines and we would have been better off for it in the long run- instead Wenger took a gamble on Almunia, a move which would eventually prove to be a mistake.

I like many Arsenal fans was sad to see him depart in 2008 and it was great to see him come back for a little while in 2011 as cover, he even started one last game for us and did quite well.

An Arsenal legend in my opinion!:D

jordainius wrote: »

You don't go unbeaten for a season with a dodgy keeper, he had a wobble in 04/05 which led to him being dropped for 10 games after which he came back better than ever to the extent that he dislodged Oliver Kahn from the Germany team ahead of the 2006 World Cup and was named 05/06 UEFA keeper of the year. Had an excellent 06/07. Made an error or two at the start of the next season and was harshly dropped.

I'd imagine I speak for a lot of Arsenal fans when I voice my displeasure at permanently dropping him in 2007, he should have been restored after a few games on the sidelines and we would have been better off for it in the long run- instead Wenger took a gamble on Almunia, a move which would eventually prove to be a mistake.

I like many Arsenal fans was sad to see him depart in 2008 and it was great to see him come back for a little while in 2011 as cover, he even started one last game for us and did quite well.

It seems, he was a legend everywhere, except while playing for Borussia Dortmund ;)

It seems, he was a legend everywhere, except while playing for Borussia Dortmund ;)

I don't know much about his time with Dortmund although I gather from a Dortmund fan I knew once that he let his inner nutter get the better of him a few too many times. Is that true on wikipedia; that he holds the record for most red cards by a Dortmund player??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Lehmann comes across really well in interviews, the opposite of how he is on the pitch!

I don't know much about his time with Dortmund although I gather from a Dortmund fan I knew once that he let his inner nutter get the better of him a few too many times. Is that true on wikipedia; that he holds the record for most red cards by a Dortmund player??

As well as the record for most red cards of a goalkeeper in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

sean dundee, diouf, joe cole, poulsen and koncesky are a must for the worst liverpool 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Dont see any mention of Julian Dicks for Liverpool either. Surely he is worthy of a nomination. A skill-less hatchet man signed by Souness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

redzerdrog wrote: »
    sean dundee, diouf, joe cole, poulsen and koncesky are a must for the worst liverpool 11
    I don't think Diouf played bad enough to make it to a Liverpool worst 11. With the likes of Sinama-Pongole as a wide forward and Pennant as a winger there is no place to put him imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Wasn't he shíte for AC Milan too? I'm sure he played for them for a brief spell. Or have I got that totally wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

COYVB wrote: »
    With the caveats of a minimum of 15 league appearances in Premiership era to qualify, players played in their proper position and using a proper formation, what's your teams absolute worst XI? Might be nice to argue about whose team is worse for a change. Feel free to preemptively defend any controversial inclusions. I'll start with mine...

Aston Villa

Petr Enkleman
    Alan Hutton---Liam Ridgewell
    Riccardo Scimeca---JLloyd Samuel
    Hassan Kachlouol----Sasa Curcic
    Mark Kinsella--Oyvind Leonhardsen
    Marcus Allback---Emile Heskey

There's a team to strike fear into the hearts of Villa fans everywhere... with Alex McLeish as manager, too

Stefan Moore instead of Allback and it's touch and go between Mark Kinsella and Alan Thompson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

how the fúck did I forget Pennant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

You'd wonder if some people even watch football judging by the picks on here.

David May? Lehmann?

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Thats a bit harsh on Almunia. As I recall Lehmann's form was dipping big time when he got dropped and when Almunia came in, he played very well with very few mistakes. He didnt do anything to warrent losing his place again that season. Lehmann then left before Almunia would lose his form again. If Lehmann had stuck around, he'd have gotten his place back. He left when Almunia was in good form for a change.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh on Almunia. As I recall Lehmann's form was dipping big time when he got dropped and when Almunia came in, he played very well with very few mistakes. He didnt do anything to warrent losing his place again that season. Lehmann then left before Almunia would lose his form again. If Lehmann had stuck around, he'd have gotten his place back. He left when Almunia was in good form for a change.

In the long run it was a mistake, he had an okay 12 months, so much so that there was talk of him taking English citizenship and declaring for England, but that was an indicator of the lack of goalkeeping talent in England at the time (and still now) compared to what they were used to up to ten years ago.

Almunia was never good enough in the long run, he had a good run of form for a year, but as the old saying goes; form is temporary, class is permanent. Normally that phrase is used the other way around but in Almunia's case I reckon his good run of form masked over his lack of class/all round ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Lifelong Arsenal fan...

Richard Wright

Andre Santos
    Igor Stepanovs ---- Sebastian Squillaci ---- Nelson Vivas

Remi Garde
    Glenn Helder

Francis Jeffers
    Marouane Chamakh ---- Kaba Diawara ---- Davor Suker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

brianblaze wrote: »
    Lifelong Arsenal fan...

Richard Wright

Andre Santos
    Igor Stepanovs ---- Sebastian Squillaci ---- Nelson Vivas

Remi Garde
    Glenn Helder

Francis Jeffers
    Marouane Chamakh ---- Kaba Diawara ---- Davor Suker

Agree with all this apart from maybe Suker, he only made 22 league appearances, and 15 starts and scored 8 league goals. Absolutely nothing wrong with that strike rate, I think people judge him harshly because of that penalty and the fact he only played one season and then went to the hammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Maybe I'm soured on Suker because of how much we expected of him... I remember that summer being so excited after the World Cup in France that we were getting him!

The same season we were linked with the Rebrov/ Shevchecnko connection (After Dinamo suddenly were awesome in the Champions League the previous season with their double act) and I was convinced that Suker was a better bet.

Advertisement