Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Security

Options
  • 05-05-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I've always had Norton anti-virus software installed on my laptop, however late last year the laptop broke, I had it all fixed but lost all my software, the guy who fixed it installed AVG and told me it was free and would be fine for what I needed which is online security mainly (ie banking, shopping, FB, email etc).

When I click on the AVG icon now it says that emails, identity and web browsing are protected but firewall isn't on and and to update now, which of course costs money. When I look on their website it tells me that the programme I have now is only basic protection and for all shopping, email etc I should upgrade which costs 45 euro.

I have no probs upgrading and spending the 45 euro but just wonder if my free AVG is enough and I don't need to. I haven't had any probs with online banking or shopping or emails in the last 5 or 6 months since my laptop was fixed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

AVG free is grand in my opinion, been using it for years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭wallyMe

Paying for antivirus is really pointless. Its like paying for Air.

My setup is Microsoft Security essentials, Malwares Anti Malware and adblock installed as an add-on for Firefox. Most viruses come from pops up while browsing the web and add-block blocks this. Also good for skipping adds on various sites like player and youtube. All the above are free. I also scan whatever I download before opening them. I also have a site scanner that will block any malicious sites that will try to compromise my system

Norton Antivirus is one of the worst antivirus products out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I like Webroot. But I also get it for free. Still badass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

AVG is great and theres no need to upgrade whatsoever. Use AVG along with Windows Firewall and Malwarebytes (anti-spyware) and you're well protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    AVG is great and theres no need to upgrade whatsoever. Use AVG along with Windows Firewall and Malwarebytes (anti-spyware) and you're well protected.

I use Avast, Malwarebytes And Superantispyware, Windows firewall. Best combo that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I used to think AVG was the mutts nuts, but then my computers started slowing down and getting very sluggish. Turns out with every update, AVG was running more and more background services which were eating up the RAM and CPU power. Got rid of it and installed MSE. Was like a fresh install (to an extent).

Go with the MSE and keep it up to date. New definitions released daily via Windows Update or within the programme itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Avast is far superior to both.

It has sandboxing and is updated more frequently with new definitions.

You could just move to Linux and save yourself the hassle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kampik

I have combination of Avira Free antivirus + spybot + adblock and occasionally running malwarebytes for years with no major problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

A big +1 on that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

And spend weeks getting to know the file system accompanied by hours of work just getting some programs to run. Linux is great for the professional environment where you are within a network and you are command line proficient but for the average user a windows set up is much better.

Don't be fooled into thinking that linux isn't susceptible to hackers any computer on a network can get viruses and especially rootkits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Interesting recommendations, anyone any opinions on McAfee total protection??

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Interesting recommendations, anyone any opinions on McAfee total protection??

Avoid. Doesnt provide anything useful that other programs dont provide for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭wallyMe

Adblock on firefox browser and you wont get any viruses, along with malware anti malware and MSE

To be honest, spyware is more of a threat/problem than viruses these days. Most antivirus packages are good enough to protect your machine, but spyware is also important to avoid - Malwarebytes is the best anti-spyware program I've used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Dymo wrote: »
    And spend weeks getting to know the file system accompanied by hours of work just getting some programs to run. Linux is great for the professional environment where you are within a network and you are command line proficient but for the average user a windows set up is much better.

Don't be fooled into thinking that linux isn't susceptible to hackers any computer on a network can get viruses and especially rootkits.
    Linux is not that difficult, I took to it very quickly after 20+ years with Windows.
    I agree about spyware etc. but the actual OS are very simple coming from Windows.....oh yeah they are free too, and I learned more in the last 6 months with linux than the previous years with Windows, great confidence booster.
    Just get Linux Mint or Ubuntu and you will be up and running very quickly.
    And no, I am by no means any sort of professional user, and I only use command line stuff very infrequently, there's not much use for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

BloodBath wrote: »
    Avast is far superior to both.

It has sandboxing and is updated more frequently with new definitions.

thanks to OP for posting, had the same question myself
    thanks bloodbath, just went with Avast....paying €50+ with mcafee for the past 10 years!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Jocelynel wrote: »
    thanks to OP for posting, had the same question myself
    thanks bloodbath, just went with Avast....paying €50+ with mcafee for the past 10 years!

Just make sure to cancel the subscription (get it in writing via email if possible). These companies will keep billing you even after you uninstall the product.
    Conveniently they also don't provide any straightforward cancellation portals, so many who switch to a free AV find they are still subscribed to their AV package and get billed

Nick

• Advertisement

Just to second what Nick said, I believe McAfee have a continuous billing system, so you'll be billed again unless you physically cancel it. Its not an "uninstall and it will go away" type of situation.

Free antivirus is more than adequate these days. AVG/Avast combined with Malwarebytes and your system will be well protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

thanks very much guys, appreciate the reassurance :)

i've unticked the automatic subscription with mcafee so they won't get another cent out of me! mcafee keeps popping up telling me to renew....

i'll download the malwarebytes software now, thanks again for your help, not my area of expertise!

Advertisement