Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seal nearby

Options
  • 05-05-2013 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question. Are there any problems likely if fishing with lure from shore with seals nearby?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Just a quick question. Are there any problems likely if fishing with lure from shore with seals nearby?

I have fished many coastal spots around Dublin, dun laoighre and howth, that have seal populations and never encountered a problem untill I have a live fish on the line!! Rest at ease I would think!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gumbo1 wrote: »
    I have fished many coastal spots around Dublin, dun laoighre and howth, that have seal populations and never encountered a problem untill I have a live fish on the line!! Rest at ease I would think!!!!

Are you just assuming I won't catch anything?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Are you just assuming I won't catch anything?:D

Not at all, though thats the case when I fish those spots (",) I have heard stories of seals chasing a catch as it been reeled in but not as one is spinning or on the float!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

Funny you ask, I was fishing in Dungarvan Co. Waterford the other day, at the Gold Coast Hotel, off the pier, I was using a black flying c and I saw a huge shadow follow the lure in as retrieved, I though I was into a fish of a life time. As it got closer I copped it was a large seal, and just as he was about to grab it I pulled the lure out of the water. I didn't want the poor fella to get a treble hook stuck in him. What was funny he just came up out of the water and sat there bobbing in the water looking at me like I stole his fish. I packed up, no way I was going to keep fishing and risk hooking a seal so I just sat there with the seal for about 10 minutes and then he finally swam off. It was a great encounter that had a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

i had one follow a popper in one night while bass fishing. i did the same, sat down for awhile and hoped he'd swim off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

I regularly fish an estuary for sea trout and on one occasion had a hooked fish attacked by a seal. On the day I did see a seal popping up here and there , as they usually do. Was playing the trout and had it close to landing when the seal lunged in at it. Left scars on it to! Had to keep the trout, it would have only had died from the injuries. It's something I'll never forget:eek:

The only other thing you might want to be wary of is if you're using feathers for mackerel you might actually hook a seal chasing a shoal. I know a guy who hooked on one but couldn't get it in to unhook it so he just cut the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I had to abandon a session today because of 6 seals constantly swimming and bobbing right in front of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The only other thing you might want to be wary of is if you're using feathers for mackerel you might actually hook a seal chasing a shoal. I know a guy who hooked on one but couldn't get it in to unhook it so he just cut the line

I've lost plenty of Mackeral to seals. It seems to me they know exactly when you have fish on. When they're about it's 50:50. I get some, they get some. It's not too bad when the take the last fish if you have 4 or 4 on, they only get one, but sometimes they take the lot!
    If you try filleting the ones you catch and distracting the seals with the cleanings you can get to land a few unknown to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Bass fishing with seals around is a waste of time. Bass high tail it out of there when a seals around.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

never have any luck at all when seals are around.. never.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement