Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in Alperton, London

Options
  • 05-05-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all,

I have been asked to attend an interview for a job teaching general science at GCSE level and physics at A-level in Alperton Community School, Alperton, London.

I have a masters in physics and I have been teaching sailing for almost 10 years every summer and I did a bit of subbing during my undergrad.

Just wondering if people could tell me the pros and cons they found working and living in London?

Where is good to live?

Where to search for accommodation?

The jobs begins in September and is for 1 year but they offer permanent jobs also. I have obtained the Ofsted report from the recruiter and the school ranks fairly high, mostly 1's and 2's.

Any help at all or any advice on things I have missed would be great!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Do you have a teaching degree?

London is very expensive although the school may offer money on top of your salary along with the extra allowance for teaching in London.

Sticking it with it at the beginning is the hard bit as a lot of people leave after a few months and more after the year is out from exhaustion.

High Ofsted scores are a positive but also means the school will expect a lot as they will want to attain said scores and better them where possible.

There are a lot of Irish teaching in London at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 SK101

I do not have a teaching degree and the recruitment agency has not brought this up as a problem yet.

I have been offered 130 pounds per day, according to the recruiter, would that be sufficient for living in london?

SK101 wrote: »
    I do not have a teaching degree and the recruitment agency has not brought this up as a problem yet.

I have been offered 130 pounds per day, according to the recruiter, would that be sufficient for living in london?

Teaching in London in a high achieving school without any qualifications may be tough. You will also have a lot of terminology (AfL, AoL, differenciation along with numerous special educational needs) thrown at you which may take some getting use to.

Yes it would be plenty to live on provided you are renting at a reasonable price. Really it is rent which eats up the wage packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am more concerned that a good school in London is hiring someone with no teaching quals? Sailing is not the same as teaching physics....

If you look at English websites they are screaming out for people although I'm shocked they are taking someone on with no experience or qualifications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Thread to Teaching Abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I know that independent schools and academies don't require a person to have any teaching qualifications. But if it is in the state sector, you need to have one, and gain QTS.

Surprised that a teaching agency would not require a candidate to have a relevant degree.

While teaching sailing is not the same as teaching physics I think that some of the basics of teaching are still there, imparting knowledge, class control, performance monitoring. I also did a year of subbing teaching physics as a module while in college.

I mean I have met some people who are great teachers with no qualifications and met some people who are terrible teachers but with qualifications. While a cert is needed, teaching is as much an ability as having a framed document on your wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Dave0301

While teaching sailing is not the same as teaching physics I think that some of the basics of teaching are still there, imparting knowledge, class control, performance monitoring. I also did a year of subbing teaching physics as a module while in college.

I mean I have met some people who are great teachers with no qualifications and met some people who are terrible teachers but with qualifications. While a cert is needed, teaching is as much an ability as having a framed document on your wall.

There is also the entire side of educational academia and pedagogical approach that you have not studied in depth.

I didn't intend to be dismissive of your ability to teach, and would agree with the part in bold. I am just surprised that a teaching qualification wasn't needed, but if you are not in the state maintained sector, it won't matter.

Ability is related to background knowledge. Background knowledge is related to studying the area.

As you are starting I think I will recommend a book which I found to be an excellent starting point. It is called "Why students don't like school" by Daniel T Willingham. It gives excellent practical advice and is grounded in cognitive science.

• Advertisement

Thank you for all the advice and help. I understand it will be a big step for me if I decide to take it. Employment opportunities at the moment are not great for me so will hopefully get the chance to go down the education route if the interview goes well. I am a bit tired of receiving the "thank you for your cv but we are unable to offer you a job at the moment" emails.

Advertisement