Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an agent

Options
  • 05-05-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I'm a student who is finishing college in a few weeks and I want to pursue a career as a screenwriter. I've read a load of books on the subject and I'm working on a few of my own screenplays as well as a TV drama pilot that I've finished writing. I've been told and I've read that if you want to be a top screenwriter, you need an agent.

So, I have a few questions on the subject, hopefully you guys can help me out. I think it's better to get some advice from real people rather than googling it and going to random, websites with contradictory answers and no credibility. Do any of you who know the industry agree that an agent is needed? How do I go about getting one? Is it worth trying to get American or British agents straight away, or will I have to get an Irish one for the time being until I get some scripts sold and make a name?

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's very tough to get noticed if you haven't had any of your work produced yet.

Having said that if you've got the goods then there's no reason an agent shouldn't pick you up, it's just it's easier to get their attention with some produced work under your belt.

I wouldn't even attempt to get an American agent yet. London is where you should set your sights. People like Gerard Barrett (writer/director of Pilgrim Hill) had an agent in London before making their first feature. Since then he's picked up representation in the US. He's with Troika in the UK I believe.

Getting in touch with a young writer who you admire for advice might be a good idea. There's Irish writers like Kevin Lehane and Barrett who might (if you're nice to them) give you some advice on how they approached getting an agent.

I suppose the best thing is to write the best scripts you can and don't get too downhearted if you get turned down - because everyone gets rejection letters, it's part of the process.

It might also be taking a look at http://script.ie/ for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cayke

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Right now I'm fairly focused on entering screenwriting competitions. I know it's hardly the most foolproof method of getting my name out there, but if I get lucky and win something, it's worth putting on the C.V.

My problem is, for all the theory I've studied, I'm not entirely sure how to start getting work from screenwriting when I've never had a script produced, y'know? I'm hoping within the next few months to get a quality camera and perhaps make a short or two, but as for getting my scripts out there and sold, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Although, I almost immediately followed through on your advice about contacting some Irish screenwriters to get tips and pick their brains a bit. Hopefully I can get some useful info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Yes you need an agent, and a good agent will take time to read your work and decided if they want to rep you. There is no quick and easy way into the industry, it happens very occasionally and usually there's a lot of guff around it when it does. UK is the best place to start as there are very few literary agents in Ireland that are any good. You will need to send an original piece of work. Not some first draft either, you only get one chance to make a first impression so don't blow it. Hone the script, be serious about your work, make sure it is correctly formatted. This is all stuff you should know of course. Aim for smaller agencies rather than larger agencies. A large agency can swallow you whole. Check in the Writer's Handbook for agents and then check websites. Try and get an idea of their client list. Work out if you want to earn money or if you want to be more of an auteur. If TV work is what you want Cecily Ware Literary agency are brilliant. I started with them and really shouldn't have left them, but hey ho. Rod Hall agency is small and handles heavyweights. They take risks and would be a good medium sized agency. But remember it takes time. Deffo try and make some of your work... people will take ten minutes out to look at something with potential than to read something with potential... sad but true. However remember also that a good agent will take time because they will be reading their clients work as a priority.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement