Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

too late to plant climber?

• 05-05-2013 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Have a 2metre high *4 metre long north west facing wall and thinking of growing a clematis Armandii or Montana or Virginia creeper. Is it too late to plant a climber now as they were generally on sale a month ago. Was going to buy from Johnstowns.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Not too late at all but be sure to keep it well watered - even if we get a dampish summer - and protected from snails and slugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just on this, I bought two clematis from Aldi and they seemed to die off after I planted them but they've suddenly burst into life but at the top of what looks like dead/straw stems. Is this normal? Should I replant from the new growth? They aren't growing nearly as fast as I was told/hoped they would but I have been watering them daily and feeding them well once a week.
    Thanks for the slug tip also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 jason2010

david75 wrote: »
    Just on this, I bought two clematis from Aldi and they seemed to die off after I planted them but they've suddenly burst into life but at the top of what looks like dead/straw stems. Is this normal? Should I replant from the new growth? They aren't growing nearly as fast as I was told/hoped they would but I have been watering them daily and feeding them well once a week.
    Thanks for the slug tip also

This is normal. Clematis will sprout new growth from last years wood which looks dead but is not. Don't replant them. Another tip, cover the base of the plant with bark mulch as clematis don't like sun hitting the base of the plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

No need to replant them but when planting in the first place clematis is one of the few plants that should be planted a few cm deeper. They are prone to a disease called "clematis wilt" and if planted a bit deeper they will usually recover.
    If you have them planted in full sun do as Jason2010 says and cover the base of the plants -- I use old paving slab parts - anything that would give shade from the sun and keep the roots cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Done and done. Thanks a million. They're really coming on in comparison to what they were bit I can see there'll be no flowering rim next year. Had hoped they'd fly up this arch I made from woven branches. Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Would also like to hijack this folks. I'm planting a clem in a large planter but would like to get advice on what type of soil to use to make up the contents of the planter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Would also like to hijack this folks. I'm planting a clem in a large planter but would like to get advice on what type of soil to use to make up the contents of the planter

Make sure the planter has a few holes in the base of it for drainage purposes.A 15mm or a 20mm steel bit and screwgun will do the job perfectly

Put in shallow layer of 15-20m gravel/pea shingle in the base of the planter (for drainage).

You could then mix in some multi purpose compost and manure and add in a bit of slow release plant food too,when you plant the clematis into the planter.

Advertisement