Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over pronation: what runners?

• 05-05-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I had gait analysis done twice in two different reputable stores. First time Mizuno wave inspire were recommended and second time Mizuno Alchemy.

For a long time now I have been suffering with a tight painful ankle. I've been to a physical therapist on numerous occasions and have had lots of massage and foam rolling done but the pain persists.

I did my first half marathon today in 2:02 so I'm delighted but I'm still fed up of being in constant pain - it does ease out after around 4 miles but never really goes away.

My physio looked at my runners during the week and said they are just not giving me enough support as I over pronate quite badly so I was wondering what you 'over pronaters' out there wear.

Sorry for the essay :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

The Alchemy are a motion control shoe so would give more support than the Inspire.
    Also Mizuno shoes come up a little higher around the ankle than other brands.
    Maybe it's time to try a differn't brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Asics Kayano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

The Alchemy are a motion control shoe so would give more support than the Inspire.
    Also Mizuno shoes come up a little higher around the ankle than other brands.
    Maybe it's time to try a differn't brand?

Would agree with this. Depending on how much you over-pronate by you could try something like the Saucony Guide, Brooks Adrenaline. You get the ankle pain with both Mizuno's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Are you heel striking as you land.? I'm sure as you're running half marathons you're running a while, but it is amazing the number of runners you see out, crashing down onto their heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rocknrollkid

I'd recommed Brooks Ravenna 3 or Saucony Hurriacane 14's - Sorted my over pronating right out!! i'm now transitioning to a neutral shoe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

I'd recommed Brooks Ravenna 3 or Saucony Hurriacane 14's - Sorted my over pronating right out!! i'm now transitioning to a neutral shoe!

Only thing with these is that support differs in both. Ravenna is a guidance shoe while the Hurricane is a much more structured shoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I'm a heavy over pronator, tried many different shoes, but no injurys or pains since using Mizuno Wave Inspire. (I run about 50-60K a week on road)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Moderate overpronator here - pretty happy with the Asics 2000 at the moment. Have worn and liked the Inspire in the past, also wore the Kayano up to 17 but then got a bit of sticker shock with the price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Saucony Progrid Omni for me. Rotating my third and fourth pairs at the moment.

Heard this guy, Chris McDoughall, on the radio last week. He has written a number of books on running, one called "born to run" may be of interest to you, I think they said it was a best seller. Anyhow he has some strong views on modern running shoe, and their effect on peoples running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Slick50 wrote: »
    Heard this guy, Chris McDoughall, on the radio last week. He has written a number of books on running, one called "born to run" may be of interest to you, I think they said it was a best seller. Anyhow he has some strong views on modern running shoe, and their effect on peoples running.

Its a good read but that's about it! There are allot of happy physio's out there since this due to the injurys people have got from trying barefoot/minimalist running.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kayleen

Thanks for all the replies guys. Well I eventually changed to Kayano's (shock horror at price) but they have made no difference, sill in pain.

I ordered a night foot support from Amazon 4 weeks ago and it finally arrived today. My physio reckons it should help.

I am booked into the Santry Sports Clinic on Friday to have an MRI and finally try and get this sorted. I am still running but am still in pain all the time :(

Hope when I come back again I will be pain free:D

viperlogic wrote: »
    Its a good read but that's about it! There are allot of happy physio's out there since this due to the injurys people have got from trying barefoot/minimalist running.
    I'm sure there are, but they were doing a thriving business long before too. I'm not trying to promote his book, or barefoot running, but there is some usefull information in it re: running techniques.
    All of our top runners support the midfoot or ball strike technique, which absorbs a lot of the energy on landing, thereby saving your joints from taking these jolts every step of the way. It also negates pronation as a factor, as you are no longer landing on your heel.
    Like anything new, it should be learnt and developed to suit yourself over time. A lot of experienced runners try these new techniques without allowing time to adjust which can cause it's own problems.
    One tip he gave on the radio was, if you jog on the spot, you cannot (or don't) land on your heel, this is a good indicator of how you should be landing when running. But again it is something that should be learned over time, and adjusted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Slick50 wrote: »
    Like anything new, it should be learnt and developed to suit yourself over time. A lot of experienced runners try these new techniques without allowing time to adjust which can cause it's own problems.

That is the absolutely crucial piece that most people bypass, thereby causing pain/damage/injury.
    Whether you go straight into a flat shoe or progress through different shoes towards a more minimal one, you must take it gradually.
    If going straight to flat shoes, start with a short run (1 mile or less) & slowly build up the mileage over time until your muscles can cope.
    If graduating through different shoes, you can probably keep a similar mileage, but ease into each new pair for a few weeks, alternating between new & old shoes until you feel comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

That is the absolutely crucial piece that most people bypass, thereby causing pain/damage/injury.
    Whether you go straight into a flat shoe or progress through different shoes towards a more minimal one, you must take it gradually.
    If going straight to flat shoes, start with a short run (1 mile or less) & slowly build up the mileage over time until your muscles can cope.
    If graduating through different shoes, you can probably keep a similar mileage, but ease into each new pair for a few weeks, alternating between new & old shoes until you feel comfortable.

This advice above should be bible. Im starting to dabble with transitioning down, I do overpronate but not severely. I started out in standard Brooks adrenaline (14mm drop) and now do the 90% of my miles in DS trainers with no issues (9mm). I have a pair of Saucony Mirage (4mm) that I have gradually put some miles on but I cant get on with them, I get constant hotspots and they just feel wrong for me, very hard for what is billed as a daily trainer. Are there any alternatives out there (4-6mm) that are lighter than the DS trainer that maybe offer a touch of support, I'm in no rush to move down either, its going to be a long process i know.
    Obviously id head to a specalist store to get advice but just looking to familiarise myself with what's out there and what others may have had success in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Are there any alternatives out there (4-6mm) that are lighter than the DS trainer that maybe offer a touch of support, I'm in no rush to move down either, its going to be a long process i know.
    Obviously id head to a specalist store to get advice but just looking to familiarise myself with what's out there and what others may have had success in.

When I started, I moved from an old version of the DS Trainer (think the drop was ~12mm at the time) to the 9mm Inov-8 Road-X 255.
    Progressed through the various Inov-8 shoes to a 3mm shoe for races as far as 10k. Now these shoes have no support, and feel completely different to standard shoes, so they take a bit of getting used to - but I couldn't go back now.
    Not sure what's out there in support & 4-6mm bracket - maybe AKW could be of some help here.

Advertisement