Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Raspberry Pi to LAN HELP!

Options
  • 05-05-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

So I dont have LAN but i want to set one up to connect my laptop to RPi. If anyone has a good tutorial for this, that'd be much appreciated! I've seen some videos of guys running Raspbmc on their Pi s. What I want to know is how do they get ALL those movies and shows on there! I presume its via a LAN? The Pi obviously doesnt have a massive 1TB hard drive or anything.
    Anyone willing to give me a hand to guide me through the process of how to set up a connection between my laptop and the Pi?
    Cheers guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

You could just get an external hard drive, put your movies on that and connect it to the Pi?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

I suppose I could but I'm tryna keep it as low cost as possible :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I presume it's a PC? Depending on if it's XP, Vista, 7 etc. it will be some variant of Network & Connections > New Connection > Connect directly to another computer > select host, and the laptop should assign an IP to the PI.

You need to share whatever folders the media is in, right click > share etc.

However if you're always going to connect your computer directly to the PI to play stuff from it it kind of defeats the purpose of getting a PI, you might as well connect the TV directly to your laptop. Unless you're planning on using the laptop a lot while watching tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Wait, how do you access the Internet? Through a modem/router or dongle?

I've got a modem/router box thing. Ive just kinda realised that if I want to do what I'm on about that the laptop would have to be on at the same time yea? That would defeat the purpose alright surely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYfU7v_FO6U

Thats basically what I want to do, probably with openelec, where is that guy getting all his movies/tv shows and stuff?! Does he have another computer connected somewhere in the background connected to the router aswell? What is zee story?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe a suitable router and a NAS drive would suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Connect PI to your router with a network cable, install raspbmc, install 1channel plugin ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

And Navi-X.

So in that video link i posted above is that guy streaming his stuff straight from 1channel?! I'm so confused...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

In a recent Linux Format article there was an article on doing just this. The key program was something called SqueezePlug

That should solve your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

kerryked wrote: »
    So in that video link i posted above is that guy streaming his stuff straight from 1channel?! I'm so confused...
    Yes, directly from the internet. No confusion.

Bu..bu..but..haha i know I'm being a pain in the arse here, If I install the 1channel plugin on Raspbmc, thats what I'll find?

Bu..bu..but..haha i know I'm being a pain in the arse here, If I install the 1channel plugin on Raspbmc, thats what I'll find?
    I didn't watch that video so don't know, here's what a 1channel & raspbmc setup looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYRgosLIzuo

Yep this is basically what I'm looking to do, I'll probably get another SD card just for openelec OS to use the Pi as a media center. Cheers guys, I guess my original complicated plan of setting up a LAN is scrapped now.
    Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

Yep this is basically what I'm looking to do, I'll probably get another SD card just for openelec OS to use the Pi as a media center.
    You don't need another SD card, have a look at this, you can put multiple distros on the 1 card http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot

This could be very handy..will give it a more in detail look in a bit, cheers

Just a quick update guys

Booted the Pi up for the first time today with Raspbian Wheezy, all went grand, really impressed..

Decided to format SD card and throw on Berryboot, as @whitesands suggested..

Installed Raspbian and OpenElec on Berryboot..

Eventually got the 1channel and ProjectFreeTV plugins running..So impressed with it, can now be used as a Media Centre and as an Educational tool to learn Python..

Absolutely delighted with it so far anyway, cheers to all ye guys for the advice and help..

I've a feeling this MAY keep me away from studying for Summer Test over the next few weeks..oh well!

Advertisement