Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail being tampered with

Options
  • 05-05-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a suggestion here. I live in a 12 flat apartment building. Recently, couple of tenants including myself have noticed their mail has been tampered with/opened .The mail is dropped through the front door for all tenants. I dont want to accuse anyone, but i suspect who it might be (current tenant).

Anyone has any tips/suggestions how i might resolve this. I know in US it is a federal crime if you tamper with someone mail. Perhaps someone can point me to a statue/code in the State law i would think there is one? Perhaps posting a notice in the building advising of consequences might discourage the person to think twice about doing it again

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

lukep13 wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a suggestion here. I live in a 12 flat apartment building. Recently, couple of tenants including myself have noticed their mail has been tampered with/opened .The mail is dropped through the front door for all tenants. I dont want to accuse anyone, but i suspect who it might be (current tenant).

Anyone has any tips/suggestions how i might resolve this. I know in US it is a federal crime if you tamper with someone mail. Perhaps someone can point me to a statue/code in the State law i would think there is one? Perhaps posting a notice in the building advising of consequences might discourage the person to think twice about doing it again

Thx

its strange one alright; put up a print out on the wall. Garda have been notified and will take finger prints off mail opened if it continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I know good way to if a self seal envelope has been opened. Open it in complete darkness watching the glue as do.

As it is opened the glue will give off a blue light/glow. If it has already been opened you will see nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

For what its worth, here's the relevant legislation: Postal and Telecommunications Services Act, 1983, Section 84

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lukep13

Thank you all. I will post the notice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Option B would be separate locked mailboxes outside the front door like many apartments also have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

1983 Act has been repealed. Its the Communications Regulation (Postal Services) Act 20 of 2011.

Advertisement