Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retrofitting renewable energy system

• 05-05-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hello

We're in the process of buying a second hand house and are keen to "future proof" it by installing a renewable energy system. The problem is I don't know where to start! I've read a lot on solar panels, geo thermal and photovoltaic but am getting very conflicting information from different sources. Eg quoted payback times from 3 to 20 years.

The house is 3500 sq feet, BER for what it's worth is C1. Built to a high standard in 2006. 2 storey, concrete floors with underfloor hearing on both levels. Hearing is currently by calor gas tank. I don't think there's much scope for upping the insulation. Double glazed windows.

Where would you start? Can you point me towards any definitive sources?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Declan1 wrote: »

The first thing I would do is either

a. have a complete heat loss survey including air tight test done to determine any heat loss issues (note, this is not a ber). It might well be 2006 built but have poor heat retention properties depending on the specification and workmanship. When satisfied that all heat loss issues have been addressed and the energy demand is as low as possible then look at how best to satisfy this demand.

b. do nothing initially until you have lived in the house for a winter and make decisions depending on how the house performs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Declan1 wrote: »
    Hello

We're in the process of buying a second hand house and are keen to "future proof" it by installing a renewable energy system. The problem is I don't know where to start! I've read a lot on solar panels, geo thermal and photovoltaic but am getting very conflicting information from different sources. Eg quoted payback times from 3 to 20 years.

The house is 3500 sq feet, BER for what it's worth is C1. Built to a high standard in 2006. 2 storey, concrete floors with underfloor hearing on both levels. Hearing is currently by calor gas tank. I don't think there's much scope for upping the insulation. Double glazed windows.

Thanks

Get your insulation level up and therefore your heat requirement down then look at geothermal as you already have underfloor installed. A geothermal system straight off the bat could still give you a good return on investment but by reducing the heat requirement you'll need a smaller, cheaper heat pump and the difference in cost could pay for your insulation upgrade.

There is always scope for improving insulation. You'll need about a 15kw unit as it stands, theres normally a good jump in cost between a 12kw and a 15kw unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

I recommend checking if the contract for the Calor LPG tank was passed over to you in the conveyancing of the house, if not I suggest that you ensure that placing orders for LPG does not imply a contract is in place as you may discover that you want the tank removed.

While LPG is a convenient fuel to use and has a high calorific value it is also one of (if not) the most expensive fuels available except when on special offer to sign the contract.

Ensuring you have good quality working heating controls is also another good place to start especially with underfloor heating, it will take a while to get used to so look up the home owners manuals / guides from the name on the thermostats.

Try to avoid using traditional time control with your boiler, in my experience underfloor heating works best, most comfortable / stable heat levels when the call for heat by the room thermostats is answered, unlike a standard radiator underfloor heating does not respond fast to the boost button on the heating controller.

I agree with MicktheMan allow yourself time to make informed decisions based on what you learn about the house and heating system.

It can take a full winter to familiarise yourself with how the system performs and setting the thermostats for each room at a comfort level that suits you, when you have this information along with the cost / amount of fuel required to heat your home as you like it you then have the information needed to make comparisons.

Advertisement