Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin IFSC/City Centre Area

Options
  • 05-05-2013 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

Just looking for some advise. I have lived on college campus for the past 4 years and now I'm moving out and renting for the first time. I want to move somewhere in the city center.
    I keep hearing mixed reports about the IFSC area? I was looking into an apartment around the Castleforbes Rd... does anyone have any info on what kind of area this is?
    Please excuse my ignorance as I don't know the city too well!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

There are very few amenities in the area, and it's close to a few pretty rough parts of town. I've friends who've been mugged and assaulted living in the IFSC; it's not a particularly nice place to live, especially taking prices into account. Where will you be working?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 megabenny

I keep hearing so many different things from people!
    I will be working in Temple St so I thought the location would be good as I wanted to be close to town. But I'd rather live out of town and in a safe area rather than watching my back the whole time. I have always had 24 hour security here on DCU campus so I have never had to worry about anything...so this is all very new!!
    Any other suggestions of somewhere close to town or in town perhaps?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

This area is fine , very close to the city centre and well served by the Luas.

The relocation of the central bank to the north wall will be a major boost to the area and will bring additional shops ,restaurants and general business activity..

NAMA have declared that they intend to invest circa 2 billion in commercial property in the north docklands area and the point village is in the process of being sold to american investors.

Property prices in the area are on the rise as are rents. There will be no additional apartments built in the area for a number of years so all in all now is a very good time to move into the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

castleforbes area is pretty quiet (accept when something is on in the O2) but not in a good way, place is very deserted at night, very handy for city centre though

if you are working in temple street why night go drumcondra/phibsboro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

subpar wrote: »
    This area is fine , very close to the city centre and well served by the Luas.

The relocation of the central bank to the north wall will be a major boost to the area and will bring additional shops ,restaurants and general business activity..

NAMA have declared that they intend to invest circa 2 billion in commercial property in the north docklands area and the point village is in the process of being sold to american investors.

Property prices in the area are on the rise as are rents. There will be no additional apartments built in the area for a number of years so all in all now is a very good time to move into the area.

It's close to the city centre, and it is well served by the Luas, but it's simply not a nice place to live at the moment. It's desolate at night (utterly), it's close to some very rough parts of town, and it's really expensive for some reason (seriously, a one-bed is clocking in at around a thousand a month). If you work in the IFSC there's an argument to be made, but if you're working in Temple Bar then you'd be paying a premium to live in a rough area with very few amenities and virtually no social scene. This is the joint-cheapest place in the IFSC on Daft at the moment: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1334276. That's a one-bed apartment and it's coming in at 950 a month. For comparison, in Smithfield you could get this for the same: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1332037. There are places all over the city at prices well below the IFSC;

• Advertisement
Advertisement