Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garden advisor (looking for one)

• 05-05-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm looking for someone to help us with our garden, we have a nice one as it is, plenty of beds, with shrubs and flowers, a small veggie patch, bit of rockery, deck etc etc basically it's not a green field. Typical suburban Dublin size (65ft so not a complete postage stamp)

We've probably taken it as far as we can and I suppose we're looking for someone to give us a boost, past what mums and friends can help with.

It would be great to get some one round and have them advise or give recommendations on everything, from what to plant where and when, to layout and function.

This is not about getting someone in with a mini digger, it is like I say about moving from good beginner to intermediate stage garden.

Clearly if a budding horticulturist wants to offer their time for free that would be ideal.. But if it was a paid for service that would be fine too (within reason)

Anybody know of anything like this? I don't want to just pick up the phonebook and I'd be wary of people who have just started calling themselves gardeners just cause the weather has started to turn fine.

Appreciate any advice that folks can offer
    Hick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

maybe putting a notice up in a college faculty might help? Or contact a lecturer or prof in the area and ask for a recommended final year student?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

hick wrote: »
    Hi folks

I'm looking for someone to help us with our garden, we have a nice one as it is, plenty of beds, with shrubs and flowers, a small veggie patch, bit of rockery, deck etc etc basically it's not a green field. Typical suburban Dublin size (65ft so not a complete postage stamp)

We've probably taken it as far as we can and I suppose we're looking for someone to give us a boost, past what mums and friends can help with.

It would be great to get some one round and have them advise or give recommendations on everything, from what to plant where and when, to layout and function.

This is not about getting someone in with a mini digger, it is like I say about moving from good beginner to intermediate stage garden.

Clearly if a budding horticulturist wants to offer their time for free that would be ideal.. But if it was a paid for service that would be fine too (within reason)

Anybody know of anything like this? I don't want to just pick up the phonebook and I'd be wary of people who have just started calling themselves gardeners just cause the weather has started to turn fine.

Appreciate any advice that folks can offer
    Hick

If you are looking for a horticulturalist,then ask them for qualifications and proof of being a professional horticulturalist or current student horticulturalist.

Ask them where they studied or are currently studying horticulture,and what their exact qualifications/levels are and ask for references/proof to back it all up

This way you will have peace of mind,and know that the right person is doing you and your garden some good.

A visit to The National Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin could be worth your while.
    Go and ask at reception to speak to one of the horticultural lecturers and some of the 4th or 5th year allmost qualified horticulturalists up there.

http://www.botanicgardens.ie/home.htm

Best Regards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bulldozer1

hi,

I have a horticulture qualification (level 6) and am doing a garden design course at present so looking to get any learning oportunities. I will probably be in dublin in a couple of weeks helping someone else so if your interested send me a pm.
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Hi folks thanks for the posts I'm only see these now, @ james & paddy, good advice will give that a shot and see what happens

@bulldozer1 drop me a pm if you like and we could organise a chat

anybody else any other thoughts much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

I'll PM you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

paddy147 wrote: »
    If you are looking for a horticulturalist,then ask them for qualifications and proof of being a professional horticulturalist or current student horticulturalist.

Ask them where they studied or are currently studying horticulture,and what their exact qualifications/levels are and ask for references/proof to back it all up

This way you will have peace of mind,and know that the right person is doing you and your garden some good.

A visit to The National Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin could be worth your while.
    Go and ask at reception to speak to one of the horticultural lecturers and some of the 4th or 5th year allmost qualified horticulturalists up there.

http://www.botanicgardens.ie/home.htm

Best Regards.:)

and most importantly do ask them some questions about gardening and any specific experience which might be useful or relevant to your requirements!

Many BOT graduates find it very difficult to find employment in the industry, and many often end up disillusioned and doing other jobs, so you'll have no trouble finding one!

IMO , a good alternative would be to try contacting your local gardening club and speaking with a few very experienced and very capable gardening enthusiasts.

Advertisement