Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some fly help!

Options
  • 05-05-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm going fishing to Lough Acalla (stocked lake) in the west of Ireland And i don't Know what to use i caught all my fish last year on dry flies ! but should i go dry fly fishing the fish are Smart enough!
    thanks
    -Eriesniper

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Where in ballinasloe is this lake? I've tried google maps and it doesn't show up. The Acalla website needs to be updated and doesn't have a map either.

As for the flies, have a look on www.flyfishingireland.net. They have a Lake fly guide for each month. This should help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

nymphing is always very popular in lough acalla, but long lures work well too. green or white baby doll (cats whisker), black and green or black and red montana, and despite it been so early in the season, a yellow bodied daddy long legs fished either wet or dry usually works well.

try fishing a dry on the top dropper and 1 or 2 wets or nymphs down along. (very slow retrieve).

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Where in ballinasloe is this lake? I've tried google maps and it doesn't show up. The Acalla website needs to be updated and doesn't have a map either.

As for the flies, have a look on www.flyfishingireland.net. They have a Lake fly guide for each month. This should help you.

head out from ballinasloe and go to kilconnell. when you get to kilconnell take the first right past giblin's pub. head out past garden center and keep going for about a mile or 2, cross over railway bridge, and its on your left not far past the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

Thanks did u fish There this Year?
    Great Advice
    -Eriesniper

Advertisement