Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Overclock

Options
  • 05-05-2013 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

Having fairly successfully overclocked my GPU I said I'd try my hand at the CPU.

Spec:
    Case: Corsair Carbide 500R
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 3.4GHz
    Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro
    GPU: XFX HD7950 3GB
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ares
    MOBO: ASRock Extreme 4 Z77
    PSU: OCZ 700W Extreme

I'm not looking to push it to the absolute edge. I want something safe and stable.

What software do I need, if any?

Is a stable overclock likely to significantly lower the lifespan or reliability of any of my components?

If I'm overclocking GPU and CPU at the same time would there be any issue with the heat from one increasing the temperature of the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

For software get hwmonitor, cpu-z, prime95 and IntelBurnTest.

Follow this guide. You should be able to get around 4.4 - 4.5ghz safely.

Higher temps usually result in a shorter lifespan. However it's not going to make it's lifespan shorter than the processor being made redundant by much higher speed processors anyway. I've ran overclocked processors for 5-6 years with 0 issues.

If your case airflow is decent hot air should not be getting recycled anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Like bloodbath said cpu-z prime95 and intelburntest are a must for cpu overclocking

Are you using the stock intel cpu fan or did you buy a third party one

Any aftermarket fan would do a better job than the intel one, at least it was like that when I bought my i5 a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

nuxxx wrote: »
    Like bloodbath said cpu-z prime95 and intelburntest are a must for cpu overclocking

Are you using the stock intel cpu fan or did you buy a third party one

Any aftermarket fan would do a better job than the intel one, at least it was like that when I bought my i5 a few years ago

I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro on the CPU.

It's huge.:eek: Could barely fit it in my old case.

Advertisement