Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SS Wire for genesis users

Options
  • 06-05-2013 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Stainless steel cable

After hearing about this a while back, it seems like it's finally going mainstream.

I'll be picking some up from ebay and trying it out myself. Looks unreal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

if you having wicking problems I feel bad for you son, cause I got, SS Cable Ribbon wire and wickin aint one.
    May have to try that Mr JC West.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Can't view the videos on my phone. Think it's something to do with the boards app.

What's the benefit of this ss wire? Is kanthal got some con to it I'm not aware of that needs fixing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

You'd still use kanthal for the coil. It uses SS rope as the wick and a strip of mesh wrapped in kanthal as normal then.

You'd still use kanthal for the coil. It uses SS rope as the wick and a strip of mesh wrapped in kanthal as normal then.

Wow okay. So would be great for lack of flavour creep etc. Sounds promising. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

looks too good to be true... must buy some immediately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I can't view those videos in work, does this solve or at least help the shorting/hotspotting problems with SS mesh?

Steven he says it eliminates so much of oxidising your whole wick, just torch the piss out of the cable, just a little bitty peice of mesh to run around the top of it. It's true capilary action, it just pulls the juice right up."

So to me it seems like the main benefit is wicking problems are gone.

Also it seems like you still need to wrap a little bit of mesh around the top of the ss cable.

He also says there "you can not run it dry, there's not dry hits, there's no hot spots"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I see TBS now has the stainless steel wire in stock... Must experiment!
    Anyone know the diff between the 7x7 and 7x19 options on the site?
    Presume its the thickness of the braid? But it seems like a big diff! x19 for VG and x7 for PG?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

quintron wrote: »
    I see TBS now has the stainless steel wire in stock... Must experiment!
    Anyone know the diff between the 7x7 and 7x19 options on the site?
    Presume its the thickness of the braid? But it seems like a big diff! x19 for VG and x7 for PG?

As far as I am aware the difference is in the number of strands...7x7 has 7 bunches of 7 strands, the 7x19 has 7 bunches of 19 strands.

I have been using the 7x7 with excellent results.

(Lots of info here - http://www.steelwirerope.com/Downloads/AsahiProductGuide.pdf )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Cheers Ionised. Are you using mesh over the braided wire on the wrap end, and are you using ribbon kanthal?
    I finally got around to using some of your ribbon kanthal last night and it was a mixed bag for me.
    Hot spot coming off the positive post that I couldn't work out despite valiant efforts with a toothpick.
    Maybe gennys just ain't my thing.
    Goning to rebuild again tonight, if I have time.
    I don't think the 2nd and 3rd wraps up from the negative post are tight enough; there is a tiny bit of play there..

quintron wrote: »
    Cheers Ionised. Are you using mesh over the braided wire on the wrap end, and are you using ribbon kanthal?

Yes and sometimes. Mostly using the ribbon although right now I'm experimenting with 0.15 wire doubled up and twisted.

I have few hotshot problems but I do make sure the mesh is well oxidised and that they wick is close to the centre post.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

What size ribbon wire should I use if I was to try this folks? Just ordered some wire rope there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

What resistance are you looking for?

I don't know tbh. I currently have 3/4 wrap around a ss mesh wick if that's any help?

Well, if you're going LR I'd get the 0.5x0.1mm.

Thanks. I'll report back when everything arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

What diameter should you use for an AGA T2 does anyone know? Thinking of having another crack at it. If this doesn't work within an hour expect to see it in the for sale section very soon.

rickyjb wrote: »
    What diameter should you use for an AGA T2 does anyone know? Thinking of having another crack at it. If this doesn't work within an hour expect to see it in the for sale section very soon.

I have been using 0.4 ribbon, 4 coils to give around 1.3ohms on a ss rope wick with ss mesh wrapped around the top of the rope where the coil is. A well oxidised bit of mesh means few hit spots and an easy enough build.

Have done the same with a purely mesh wick with perfectly good results.

Ionised wrote: »
    I have been using 0.4 ribbon, 4 coils to give around 1.3ohms on a ss rope wick with ss mesh wrapped around the top of the rope where the coil is. A well oxidised bit of mesh means few hit spots and an easy enough build.

Have done the same with a purely mesh wick with perfectly good results.

What I meant was what diameter steel wire should you use to fit the internal diameter of the wick hole on an AGA T2? On the vaperus site there are options for 1.5-3.0mm...

• Advertisement

What I meant was what diameter steel wire should you use to fit the internal diameter of the wick hole on an AGA T2? On the vaperus site there are options for 1.5-3.0mm...

oops... misunderstood. A 2mm wire fits fine with a bit of wiggle room. Think a 3mm might be too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Was just coming on to ask that question, as the bestshop stuff is only 1.5mm. Probably to thin for an aga??

I'd say 1.5mm is too thin. Even 2mm leaves a bit of a gap in the Aga T.

Gryzor wrote: »
    Was just coming on to ask that question, as the bestshop stuff is only 1.5mm. Probably to thin for an aga??

They have 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 mm. I ordered some 2.0 mm last night, hopefully it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

They have 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 mm. I ordered some 2.0 mm last night, hopefully it does the job.

So they do, nice one...

Predictably I'm the only person who SS rope does not wick for. Got a perfectly glowing coil at 1.6ohms but after I filled the tank it produces vapour for a few seconds then glows red. wtf like?!:mad:

I bought this http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/diy/295-stainless-steel-wire-rope-7x7.html (2mm). any suggestions?

With mesh wrapped around the top of it?

grindle wrote: »
    With mesh wrapped around the top of it?

Yes, give me some credit:)

God I hate the AGA...

I tried using less mesh but hasn't really helped. The weird thing is for about 10 secs it seemed to work perfectly then just stopped again, I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

Yes, give me some credit:)

God I hate the AGA...

I tried using less mesh but hasn't really helped. The weird thing is for about 10 secs it seemed to work perfectly then just stopped again, I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

Post a photo of your setup just in case anything obvious can be spotted. I have an Aga with ss rope at 1.4 ohms vaping like a dream.

• Advertisement

Does it glow red if you keep it tilted? Must be a wicking issue if so, which is weird. 1.6ohms shouldn't even nearly dry out the wick in time for it to glow.

Ooh, are you firing it tilted with the wick facing up maybe? That would dry it out.

(Apologies if that's another "GIMMESUMFURKINCREDITGRINDLE!!!" question)

Advertisement