Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water feature pump

• 06-05-2013 8:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Interested in a water feature, but don't paticulary want to run the pump permanently

Is there a pump that works off solar

or

Can I switch a mains pump on as needed, or will I end up with stagnant water, I know there are additives one can add to water to prevent stagnation

Thanks

The water feature will be no more than 60cm high, and would like to the water to come out maybe 1 or two cm, ie a bit more than a trickle
    but not a jet of water

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

k123456 wrote: »
    Interested in a water feature, but don't paticulary want to run the pump permanently

Is there a pump that works off solar

or

Can I switch it on as needed, or will I end up with stagnant water, I know there are additives one can add to water to prevent stagnation

Thanks

The water feature will be no more than 60cm high, and would like to the water to come out maybe 1 or two cm, ie a bit more than a trickle
    but not a jet of water
    Will it be open water or will water disappear under stones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Water under stones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi Water under stones

just switch on when needed, but try to run it a few times a week to prevent it getting smelly. I wouldnt bother with the solar route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

Get time plug in woodies, have it on the hours your gonna be there and get a filter with a uv bulb, and a bottle of pond clear sorted for about €150 for cheaper brand 250-300 for Oase brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a very similar set up and i just switch it on as necessary. It doesn't seem to matter what condition the water is in, I had it emptied out last summer and it wasn't too bad in terms of how clean it was - it is in a dark container covered by stones so it doesn't tend to grow slime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Thanks Folks, much appreciated

"and get a filter with a uv bulb, "

What does the UV bulb do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks Folks, much appreciated

"and get a filter with a uv bulb, "

What does the UV bulb do

Sterilizes the water and kills bacteria in it.

Top be honest you aint gonna need that if you only want a small water feature of about 60cm high...as per opening post.

UV kits are only usually for propper ponds or for water sterilization for human bathing/consumption or for fish tanks.You are more or less throwing your money away if you go anf buy a UV kit just for a small little water feature.

but not a jet of water

Like another member said,just switch it on and off when you need it on and then off each day

Simples.:)

P.S-Pic attached of my own UV kit...this is for a large fish tank.You do not need this sort of thing for a small water feature.

Advertisement