Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skinners dog food on amazon

• 06-05-2013 8:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that the 15kg bag seems smaller than a burns 15kg bag? I have been switching between burns and skinners for ages now and the skinners bag is definitely smaller! 1. It fits in my dog food storage in with a fair amount of space left over (with burns the lid won't close till after the first feed) and 2. It lasts me over a week less and I am feeding the same amount of cups! Has anyone ever weighed a full bag? This has me baffled! I have no ran out of food and it has lasted me 13 days!! With burns I get 21 days. The kibble size is the pretty much the same on both. Unless skinners is heavier and I have been overfeeding? I tried to order skinners last night from amazon and they are now charging full price for an extra delivery (even though I subscribe and save!).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I would weigh a cup of each. Skinners must very heavier. Have you noticed the dogs putting on weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Perhaps the skinners kibble is more dense and contains less air, if you know what I mean? I have fed burns in the past and it is quite a lightweight kibble. They wouldn't be allowed market it as 15kg if it isn't actually 15kg.

For comparison purposes (not nutritional value) - Burns = corn flakes but weight wise skinners = all bran:P. Both breakfast cereals but compare the same weight boxes and the all bran is a much smaller box. It always bugs me in the supermarket, I feel conned paying nearly a fiver for what looks like a tiny box compared to the corn flakes:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Millem wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that the 15kg bag seems smaller than a burns 15kg bag? I have been switching between burns and skinners for ages now and the skinners bag is definitely smaller! 1. It fits in my dog food storage in with a fair amount of space left over (with burns the lid won't close till after the first feed) and 2. It lasts me over a week less and I am feeding the same amount of cups! Has anyone ever weighed a full bag? This has me baffled! I have no ran out of food and it has lasted me 13 days!! With burns I get 21 days. The kibble size is the pretty much the same on both. Unless skinners is heavier and I have been overfeeding? I tried to order skinners last night from amazon and they are now charging full price for an extra delivery (even though I subscribe and save!).

I have noticed that too.

Years ago, on Red Mills Leader, I got a free 15kg food bin. RMs fitted into the container but Burns wouldn't - even though both were 15kg.

I have also noticed when measuring out the Burns kibble that there is more kibble in the bowl. I think it is because Burns contains over 60% rice which makes it lighter. Maybe this is why a Burns bag lasts longer?

I was looking into Skinners again last week (just can't make my mind up!). I rang Skinners and they suggest 100g/8kg. One of my dogs is 12kg so that would mean 150g - Burns would be 120g. Though they did suggest as my dog is older to reduce it down to 10g/kg (same as Burns).

I had the same problem with Amazon. They have changed Save & Subscribe. I had put in an order for a bag of Skinners and it toke me ages to figure out why I couldn't get the first bag with the 10% discount. (I wonder are they trying to make it more difficult for people who say get the discount but then cancel the S&S straight away?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I would weigh a cup of each. Skinners must very heavier. Have you noticed the dogs putting on weight?

No dogs are always the weight all around the 30ish kg with one being 26ish kg. Only put on weight if i give them tinned oily fish or treats. When I lift a 15kg bag of skinners it seems lighter. Maybe it is all in my head! One of my dogs has atopic dermatitis and is started to get an ear infection from 2 weeks on skinners I am convinced it is that beet pulp so she will stay on burns.

paultf wrote: »
    I have noticed that too.

Years ago, on Red Mills Leader, I got a free 15kg food bin. RMs fitted into the container but Burns wouldn't - even though both were 15kg.

I have also noticed when measuring out the Burns kibble that there is more kibble in the bowl. I think it is because Burns contains over 60% rice which makes it lighter. Maybe this is why a Burns bag lasts longer?

I was looking into Skinners again last week (just can't make my mind up!). I rang Skinners and they suggest 100g/8kg. One of my dogs is 12kg so that would mean 150g - Burns would be 120g. Though they did suggest as my dog is older to reduce it down to 10g/kg (same as Burns).

I had the same problem with Amazon. They have changed Save & Subscribe. I had put in an order for a bag of Skinners and it toke me ages to figure out why I couldn't get the first bag with the 10% discount. (I wonder are they trying to make it more difficult for people who say get the discount but then cancel the S&S straight away?)

Burns is 65% rice, skinners is 40%. Amazon are really annoying because even if you sign up to subscribe today for another dog food the earliest delivery was going to be 7th June! Which was too late for me! Do you give your dogs the same amount in cups as burns?

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    Burns is 65% rice, skinners is 40%. Amazon are really annoying because even if you sign up to subscribe today for another dog food the earliest delivery was going to be 7th June! Which was too late for me! Do you give your dogs the same amount in cups as burns?

I tried a bag of Skinners with one of my dogs last year when she started to show a lack of interest in Burns. She liked Skinners duck & rice.

At the time I am almost sure with Skinners (both on the bag and on the website) the guideline was 10g/kg - which would be the same as Burns.

They seemed to have changed that to 100g/8kg (on the website anyways).

I found out what the problem was with Kelly so I have all my dogs on Burns now. Though I have started to look at Skinners again as my eldest dog has lost some weight and I think it might be to do with the low protein in Burns.

But I can't make my mind up! I am wary that the transition might not work. Skinners told me to give the eldest guy 10g/kg if I was afraid he was going to put on weight.

(With Amazon, I had the order setup in Subscribe & Save until I found out they changed the system so like you I would have had to wait a while. I got fed up with them and cancelled.)

EDIT: would 1 cup of Skinners have more protein/fats/oils than 1 cup of Burns?

paultf wrote: »
    I tried a bag of Skinners with one of my dogs last year when she started to show a lack of interest in Burns. She liked Skinners duck & rice.

At the time I am almost sure with Skinners (both on the bag and on the website) the guideline was 10g/kg - which would be the same as Burns.

They seemed to have changed that to 100g/8kg (on the website anyways).

I found out what the problem was with Kelly so I have all my dogs on Burns now. Though I have started to look at Skinners again as my eldest dog has lost some weight and I think it might be to do with the low protein in Burns.

But I can't make my mind up! I am wary that the transition might not work. Skinners told me to give the eldest guy 10g/kg if I was afraid he was going to put on weight.

(With Amazon, I had the order setup in Subscribe & Save until I found out they changed the system so like you I would have had to wait a while. I got fed up with them and cancelled.)

EDIT: would 1 cup of Skinners have more protein/fats/oils than 1 cup of Burns?

I plan on keeping my eldest dog (she is around 11/12) on skinners she was very slim on burns which I thought was down to her past but after three months on skinners she filled out and is flying around! Her weight on the scales never changes unless she goes down to my parents she put on 5kg in one weekend!! First one is before and second is after 3months on skinners. The youngest has to stay on burns because of her ears. And the middle one can have either she is the only 100% healthy one not to mention the boldest!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gavo782002

Is skinners dog food a quality food for your dog? I have been told by my vet to feed my dog Burns or Royle Canin but these foods are really expensive,
    i just looking for a cost effect quality food? :confused:

Skinners would be a good alternative to Burns - similar ingredients to Burns but works out more cost effective as they are working dog brands so no VAT.

On Amazon Skinners duck & rice is around €25.

On Zooplus a similar bag of Burns would cost €40 but you would have to buy 2 at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yep, I would say Skinners Field & Trial is equivalent to Burns, James Wellbeloved or Arden Grange in quality.

My vet sells a 15kg bag of Burns for €68. I get a 15kg bag Skinners F&T (Duck and rice variety) for half that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gavo782002

Thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I am thinking of trying Skinners duck and rice on our guy. He has colitis (food allergies) and from the research I have been doing this seems to be a good food to try. We currently make his food (mixture of raw and fresh) but we are going on honeymoon late in 2013 for 3 weeks and he will be staying with my parents and ideally I wouldnt like to be asking them to look after his raw / fresh diet!

I know we would have to switch him over gradually so that is why I want to start now and if it doesnt work then we are looking at tinned I/D food which is extremely pricey at 2.80 a can (x 2 per day).

I just want to know has anyone had any experience of feeding a dog with allergies, Skinners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kaza2710 wrote: »
    I am thinking of trying Skinners duck and rice on our guy. He has colitis (food allergies) and from the research I have been doing this seems to be a good food to try. We currently make his food (mixture of raw and fresh) but we are going on honeymoon late in 2013 for 3 weeks and he will be staying with my parents and ideally I wouldnt like to be asking them to look after his raw / fresh diet!

I know we would have to switch him over gradually so that is why I want to start now and if it doesnt work then we are looking at tinned I/D food which is extremely pricey at 2.80 a can (x 2 per day).

I just want to know has anyone had any experience of feeding a dog with allergies, Skinners?

How about Nature Diet - it's probably better quality that either of them (skinners or hills), about €1 a pack and is hypoallergenic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I tried it and it didn't work out for my two unfortunately, but I think mine have issues with rice so that could be the problem. If you get in touch with the company through their website they'll send you out some samples to try:

http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/

The only foods that really worked for my two (before I switched to raw) were Taste of The Wild and Barking Heads Salmon & Potato. They're both more expensive than Skinners though.

Do your parents have much freezer space? You could make up individual breakfast and dinner portions, so all they'd have to do is defrost and serve.

tk123 wrote: »
    How about Nature Diet - it's probably better quality that either of them (skinners or hills), about €1 a pack and is hypoallergenic?

The feed recommendation seems a bit high though does it not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Hi guys and girls :) Might be a little off topic here but I'm hoping ye can help me out. I've been feeding Skinners dog food to my Golden Lab for two months now. However, I've noticed that his 'poo' has become almost flakey. I suppose the closest thing I could compare it to is 'Special K' cereal. I don't mind of course but it's just a nightmare to clean up compare to his what were once his usual 'clean logs'. Anyone else experiencing anything of a similar nature? Thanks and I'd appreciate any input :)

I tried it and it didn't work out for my two unfortunately, but I think mine have issues with rice so that could be the problem. If you get in touch with the company through their website they'll send you out some samples to try:

http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/

The only foods that really worked for my two (before I switched to raw) were Taste of The Wild and Barking Heads Salmon & Potato. They're both more expensive than Skinners though.

Do your parents have much freezer space? You could make up individual breakfast and dinner portions, so all they'd have to do is defrost and serve.

That was our plan to make up food but space is a bit of an issue - it would be 42 bags of food at least - not counting the bags I would have to have done up for the week of the wedding as I will be staying with them and the dog :rolleyes:

He defo doesnt have an issue with rice as we use rice with liver / beef / chicken etc at the minute and it gets wolfed down.

We tried taste of the wild before after our vet suggested it but the dog seemed to have very smelly breath and was itching a lot so we ruled out that food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kaza2710 wrote: »
    The feed recommendation seems a bit high though does it not?

Yeah I thought so too - I gave half the amount because I need to keep my boy skinny!

EDITed to say if you're near a petmania they sell individual packs so you could get a couple to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

What about the graw chubs? If space is an issue you could get an order delivered halfway through the stay? No mixing or prep, easy peasy. I use them for when I'm on holidays, they are more expensive but I don't pay for kennels so in the grand scheme of things it works out cheaper.

Advertisement