Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Pardew

• 06-05-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭

Genuine question here - almost everyone I mention the relegation battle to say they'd love to see Newcastle go down because of that [ insert desired expletive ] Pardew.

I don't get it myself, always thought he was frank and honest and certainly no more unlikeable than other managers. In fact he's proved to be a decent enough manager with attractive football sides.

Is this a widely held view or am I just surrounded by anti Geordie mates?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He comes across as more arrogant and self righteous in interviews than frank and honest, can't stand him tbh looks like a school teacher who you hated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I don't like the fact he makes excuses everytime they loose, and the way he pushed that ref a while back

The contract he was given was ridiculous, 8 years or something mad like that

I think he'd do alright for a club chasing promotion in the championship like hes done before, but over a long period trying to sustain a club like Newcastle and keeping the fans happy I have serious doubts

To go from the position they were in last season to the brink of relegation this year must tell you something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think he lacks any sort of intelligence, criticizing arsenal for having no English players mostly French all those years ago, now look at his Newcastle team. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

I've never had time for him, especially after he replaced Chris Houghton at Newcastle; they were doing great before that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    I've never had time for him, especially after he replaced Chris Houghton at Newcastle; they were doing great before that happened.

And did much better after it :confused:

I wasn't aware there was such a dislike of AP tbh.
    All managers talk bollox and shift blame in post match interviews, he's no different in that regard.
    He does have a grating voice/accent...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I hate him too. Waving his little notebook around the place and making excuses. Him and Neanderthal Pulis are the 2 most dislikable managers in the premiership I think. Even Big Sam doesn't annoy me so much these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I also don't really understand the hatred for Pardew. It's not as if the rest of the Premier League is awash with managers who nobly take defeat on the chin, never pick out refs for criticism and develop a squad of home-grown lads who'd never be into divin' and that lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I just think he's a pretty terrible manager. No real views on him as a person.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    I just think he's a pretty terrible manager. No real views on him as a person.

Opr

Who did he have keeping Mascherano out of the West Ham team?
    Hayden Mullins I think... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

cambo2008 wrote: »
    And did much better after it :confused:
    Would Hughton have Newcastle in such relegation trouble now? I doubt it.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Would Hughton have Newcastle in such relegation trouble now? I doubt it.

I don't know but everyone was of the impression it was a crazy decision at the time but worked out well for them for the season.

I don't think Hughton has done very much to be regarded as any better than Pardew in fairness.

I don't know but everyone was of the impression it was a crazy decision at the time but worked out well for them for the season.

I don't think Hughton has done very much to be regarded as any better than Pardew in fairness.
    It was a crazy decision because there was no need for it.

It was a crazy decision because there was no need for it.

You say that but...

4 points off 4th place and Champions League qualification had Chelsea not won it.
    A lot of ifs and buts there but they are fine margins.

Wonder will he get the sack with that lucrative 8 year deal if they go down

Don't rate him too highly as manager tbh.

Newcastle's recent transfer policy hasn't helped him.

nuxxx wrote: »

Isn't it a rolling yearly contract or something? Afaik, the 8 year thing was window dressing.

You say that but...

4 points off 4th place and Champions League qualification had Chelsea not won it.
    A lot of ifs and buts there but they are fine margins.

And right now they are even closer than that to relegation. I'd take 2 safe midtable finishes personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Isn't it a rolling yearly contract or something? Afaik, the 8 year thing was window dressing.

A lot of truth in that - as someone who regularly watches Sky's Sunday Supplement I think the contract does allow for a sacking that will not mean anything like the remainder of the eight years being paid out.

As for Pardew himself, again from the Sunday Supplement, there are regular references to his incredible self belief, which, given the sniggers and wry smiles that accompany it, to me translates as arrogant so and so.

As for Newcastle, I hope they stay up - as a long suffering follower of Leeds, I always have a soft spot for big clubs that hit hard times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I hate the way he screams and gloats in opposing manager's faces when Newcastle score. He hasn't got an ounce of class.

And right now they are even closer than that to relegation. I'd take 2 safe midtable finishes personally.

Obviously but Hughton doesn't guarantee mid table safety.
    Just to be clear, I don't rate Pardew but Hughton has shown nothing to be rated any higher than him.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise he was on a type of rolling deal, think he`ll be sacked regardless then this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

There is a clause that he only entitled to a years pay if terminated. Ashley is not a complete twat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Cant stand him but hes good entertainment at a harmless club, if he was manager of a big 3 club I would hate him with a passion.

Obviously but Hughton doesn't guarantee mid table safety.
    Just to be clear, I don't rate Pardew but Hughton has shown nothing to be rated any higher than him.

The point is, you don't sack someone who isn't doing poorly, to appoint someone of similar standard. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

In fact he's proved to be a decent enough manager with attractive football sides.

Is this a widely held view or am I just surrounded by anti Geordie mates?
    Attractive football? Are you serious? Newcastle are playing hoofball with French internationals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The point is, you don't sack someone who isn't doing poorly, to appoint someone of similar standard. Mad stuff.

Hiring Padrew didn't make sacking Houghton a bad decision though. Houghton should have been sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

His record is starting to speak for itself. While he has a few good seasons to his name, ever since he left Reading there is a consistent pattern of initial bounce followed by a big slide in form and performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hiring Padrew didn't make sacking Houghton a bad decision though. Houghton should have been sacked.
    Didn't realise Ray Houghton was a manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

as someone who regularly watches Sky's Sunday Supplement

OT, but that's not something to brag about.

Newcastle have a really good team. There's a few players there who'd get into any team in the leage.
    I could understand if they'd dropped off the pace a bit - normal regression to the mean was to be expected - but they've just been appalling.

The 0-6 loss to Liverpool had to have been one of the worst home performances by any team in premier league history.

Pardew's probably a fairly ok manager. Not someone you'd want at a club challenging for European places on a regular basis but a decent mid-table manager.
    There's probably a number of factors at play - the number of new players, some of whom are probably either mercenaries or view Newcastle as a stepping stone, not enough players who're either homegrown or have been at the club long enough and, of course, the fact that the French are cheese-eating surrender monkeys.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Pardew wont last there whether they stay up or not. I don't like Newcastle as a club generally. To me they epitomise the worst excesses of waste that you find in the EPL. There has been a lot of money sloshing around in that league particularly over the last couple of decades, so there's been plenty of money thrown around by almost every club. However Newcastle are one of the worst culprits. They have made huge financial mistakes wasting money over the years and for zero return in terms of trophies and winning things.

The 8 year contract for Pardew, what was that about? The huge salary for Michael Owen when he came back from Real Madrid with his tail between his legs. When Keegan was in charge initially, they came close to making a breakthrough with an exciting team. Since then they have consistently failed to deliver, they never win anything but have spent a fortune over the years. I hope they go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Gbear wrote: »
    OT, but that's not something to brag about.

I wasn't bragging.

I wouldn't mind betting that I watch a hell of a lot more of the Sunday Supplement than you do by the way!!

Now that's bragging (albeit, sad). ;)

Eh why should he have been sacked? And the replacement does of course play a large role in the quality of the decision. If Everton sacked David Moyes tomorrow and managed to bring in Jose Mourinho or Pep Guardiola, it would be a good decision, in spite of how well Moyes has done there.

He'll be paid out for four and a half years it would seem. Surely if Newcastle go from battling for a CL spot to battling relegation in a year despite having spent so much money that it would render his position untenable?

Ashley, who claims to be such a big fan, is more into cronyism it would seem then doing whats best for NUFC. Pardew had previously failed at Charlton, West Ham (cup final aside) and Southampton. He got the job due to his connections with Ashley and not because of his actual skills but its common in football these times that the best at Networking and hob-nobbing are the ones getting management jobs and better managers are dislodged to accommodate them in alot of cases

Eh why should he have been sacked? And the replacement does of course play a large role in the quality of the decision. If Everton sacked David Moyes tomorrow and managed to bring in Jose Mourinho or Pep Guardiola, it would be a good decision, in spite of how well Moyes has done there.

Because he's not a very good manager? He ceiling is pretty low, he's not a guy who'll finish top 4 or even push high up the table. Sacking a manager and replacing him with are two separate decisions. The sacking of a manager should be judged based only on how good that manager is, what is potential is etc and not who his replacement is.

• Advertisement

Because he's not a very good manager? He ceiling is pretty low, he's not a guy who'll finish top 4 or even push high up the table. Sacking a manager and replacing him with are two separate decisions. The sacking of a manager should be judged based only on how good that manager is, what is potential is etc and not who his replacement is.
    It is impossible to say what Hughton's ceiling as a manager is yet. He has done a decent job with both Newcastle, Birmingham and Norwich so far in his short managerial career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I don't like the fact he makes excuses everytime they loose, and the way he pushed that ref a while back

The contract he was given was ridiculous, 8 years or something mad like that

I think he'd do alright for a club chasing promotion in the championship like hes done before, but over a long period trying to sustain a club like Newcastle and keeping the fans happy I have serious doubts

To go from the position they were in last season to the brink of relegation this year must tell you something

This is coming from a United fan if I remember correctly?!
    Pardew is no worse than Ferguson or others with referees.

However, he's an absolute disgrace goading manager when in the rare case Newcastle score a goal. I hate it.

He'll probably be gone in the summer if we stay up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It is impossible to say what Hughton's ceiling as a manager is yet. He has done a decent job with both Newcastle, Birmingham and Norwich so far in his short managerial career.
    Totally agree with this. Hughton had them 11th at the time of his dismissal, they finished 12th that season in the end. The summer after his sacking they brought in Ba and Cabaye who both had a huge impact on the team as well as others like Santon and Marveaux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What should he have done? Refused paid employment in protest until the reinstated hughton ?

Decent job with Norwich? He's on course to have them performing far below what they achieved last year and relegation is a real possibility. He did well with Newcastle and birmingham but was above and beyond what they were capable of.

• Advertisement

Decent job with Norwich? He's on course to have them performing far below what they achieved last year and relegation is a real possibility. He did well with Newcastle and birmingham but was above and beyond what they were capable of.
    Keeping Norwich up with their resources is an achievement, as it was an achievement for Lambert last year, as it will be for him next year assuming they stay up this year and he is still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Fans starting to get on Houghton's back a bit during the Villa match. Not sure if this is a widespread feeling of discontent, but it's a worrying sign nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

were they??? were sliding down the table, Pardew came in, stabilised the team and they got 5th last season, he got manager of the year.

they have had horrific luck this year, some really poort decisions against them, along with huge injuries.

Hughton is a very very limited, championship manager...his team are only hanging onto prem status due to a good 2 month period in october and november. their form before and after this, is absolutely horrific.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

were they??? were sliding down the table, Pardew came in, stabilised the team and they got 5th last season, he got manager of the year.

they have had horrific luck this year, some really poort decisions against them, along with huge injuries.

Hughton is a very very limited, championship manager...his team are only hanging onto prem status due to a good 2 month period in october and november. their form before and after this, is absolutely horrific.

I think both Hughton and Pardew are fairly limited managers. I obviously can't speak for their man management and motivational abilities, but tactically, neither is great.

Hughton gets away with it at Norwich, and they're a good fit for a manager like him. Newcastle though, who expect to be challenging in the top half, need someone stronger in that regard. Neither Pardew or Hughton is good enough and swapping between them was a sideways move from Ashley.

Hmmm

The season covers the full 38 games of the season. The cumulative points total of the 38 games. Doesn't really matter whether those points are consistently attained in dribs and drabs or attained in bulk during a short spell. If Hughton keeps Norwich up, that is all that really matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Sacking a manager and replacing him with are two separate decisions. The sacking of a manager should be judged based only on how good that manager is, what is potential is etc and not who his replacement is.
    Have to disagree with that. There are very, very few occasions in which you should sack a manager without having a better manager lined up to replace him. The availability and calibre of the 'upgrade' has an obvious impact on the decision to pull the trigger on the current manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think both Hughton and Pardew are fairly limited managers. I obviously can't speak for their man management and motivational abilities, but tactically, neither is great.

Hughton gets away with it at Norwich, and they're a good fit for a manager like him. Newcastle though, who expect to be challenging in the top half, need someone stronger in that regard. Neither Pardew or Hughton is good enough and swapping between them was a sideways move from Ashley.

They were just promoted back into the EPL on the back of Hughton's success as a manager :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Thinly veiled "Are Newc...... " :pac:

Dont get the dislike for Pardew because he took over from Chris Hughton tbh. It's not as if he actually had anything to do with Newcastle's decision to sack Hughton.

Someone mentioned above that he seems classless the way he celebrates in front of other managers etc. I'd have to agree - it smacks of a serious lack of respect.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "Are Newc...... " :pac:

Dont get the dislike for Pardew because he took over from Chris Hughton tbh. It's not as if he actually had anything to do with Newcastle's decision to sack Hughton.

Someone mentioned above that he seems classless the way he celebrates in front of other managers etc. I'd have to agree - it smacks of a serious lack of respect.
    Basically, when you already dislike someone it becomes alot easier to find new reasons to dislike them. Pardew has being giving people reasons since Day 1. Note how Pocchetino hasn't gotten half the abuse that Pardew does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement