Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Pardew

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

CSF wrote: »
    The season covers the full 38 games of the season. The cumulative points total of the 38 games. Doesn't really matter whether those points are consistently attained in dribs and drabs or attained in bulk during a short spell. If Hughton keeps Norwich up, that is all that really matters.

their current run of form is the worst in the league, they deserve to do down. if they dont get a result against West Brom next weekend, them staying up is purely would be down to the facts that the teams below just being even more shi* which is no claim to fame.

even if they stay up, i think Hughton should and will be sacked.

Sunderlands game tonight and Wigans V Swansea are huge for Norwich, and indeed Newcastle...
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hmmm

you forgot to finish your sentance...do carry on please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

their current run of form is the worst in the league, they deserve to do down. if they dont get a result against West Brom next weekend, them staying up is purely would be down to the facts that the teams below just being even more shi* which is no claim to fame.
    This makes absolutely no sense. They should be relegated because they're not on form? What team finishes 16th or 17th and doesn't stay up because the teams below them are even more ****?

Are we supposed to view teams like Wigan who play **** all season and then throw together a few wins at the end as more admirable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Many don't like him because of his off the field activities which are easily found with a Google search. Add that to his classless actions in the dugout and his constant excuses before and after games and that's why there's so much hatred for him. Even the Newcastle fans have started to turn on him now as they're sick and tired of his excuses.

Are we supposed to view teams like Wigan who play **** all season and then throw together a few wins at the end as more admirable?

yep, when push comes to shove, these guys are able to grind out results when it matters most. form dictates alot...right now, Norwich (and indeed Newcastle being fair) do not deserve their PL status. the thing is, only 3 teams go down and 2 already decided.

i think however, the fa cup final and 4 games in 14 days, could see Wigan fall short but as i said, if Norwich dont get something against West brom, they will be lucky to stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

i think it's do with the rumours of his alleged extra circular activities with players wifes?

yep, when push comes to shove, these guys are able to grind out results when it matters most. form dictates alot...right now, Norwich (and indeed Newcastle being fair) do not deserve their PL status. the thing is, only 3 teams go down and 2 already decided.

i think however, the fa cup final and 4 games in 14 days, could see Wigan fall short but as i said, if Norwich dont get something against West brom, they will be lucky to stay up.
    This is such a crock of ****. It matters most for Wigan because they've performed at a **** level all season whereas Norwich are yet to slip into a win or bust situation because they've been steady all season and accumulated enough points to keep themselves out of the relegation zone, beating Man United and Arsenal along the way and getting 2 draws against Tottenham. If Norwich stay up, it'll be because they accumulated 40 points, or whatever the requirement is this season.

Norwich are yet to slip into a win or bust situation because they've been steady all season and accumulated enough points to keep themselves out of the relegation zone,

steady all season and out of relegation zone? take a look at their results of late lad and their position and then come back to me. they ARE in the relegation zone and have been anything but steady.

a Sunderald draw tonight puts them ahead of Norwich, a wigan win tomorrow night, also puts them ahead of Norwich and Norwich have to go to City on the final day, which is the hardest game of all the bottom teams.

as i said, finishing 17th or what ever, is no claim to fame for Hughton and i have no idea why you are defending him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Dempsey wrote: »
    They were just promoted back into the EPL on the back of Hughton's success as a manager :rolleyes:

What's your point exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What's your point exactly?

Top half finish expected of a newly promoted club?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Dempsey wrote: »
    Top half finish expected of a newly promoted club?

Nope. I meant from this season onward they'd be expecting a top half finish considering their playing squad and the finances pumped in after Pardew was appointed.

Obviously the decision to sack Hughton was crazy if you're replacing him with someone like Pardew. If there was a clear upgrade available it would be somewhat understandable. I'm not sure either are good enough to deliver consistent top 6 finishes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I hate the way he screams and gloats in opposing manager's faces when Newcastle score. He hasn't got an ounce of class.
    and when he loses he storms off without shaking the opposing managers hand, he is a spoofer like Hodgson, and another of the FA's favourite managers, says it all really

steady all season and out of relegation zone? take a look at their results of late lad and their position and then come back to me. they ARE in the relegation zone and have been anything but steady.

a Sunderald draw tonight puts them ahead of Norwich, a wigan win tomorrow night, also puts them ahead of Norwich and Norwich have to go to City on the final day, which is the hardest game of all the bottom teams.

as i said, finishing 17th or what ever, is no claim to fame for Hughton and i have no idea why you are defending him.
    I hate to break it to you, but you're talking ****e. Norwich are not in the relegation zone no matter how many capital letters you put in saying they are. They're 15th in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I hate to break it to you, but you're talking ****e. Norwich are not in the relegation zone no matter how many capital letters you put in saying they are. They're 15th in the league.

Might not be in the relegation places, but the rest of his post is correct.
    Sunderland draw puts them ahead of Norwich, and a wigan win does the same.

They are in serious bother. I'd go so far as to say they need to beat WBA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    His record is starting to speak for itself. While he has a few good seasons to his name, ever since he left Reading there is a consistent pattern of initial bounce followed by a big slide in form and performances.

Think he was in charge of Enron before reading

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Think he was in charge of Enron before reading

:D

• Advertisement

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Might not be in the relegation places, but the rest of his post is correct.
    Sunderland draw puts them ahead of Norwich, and a wigan win does the same.

They are in serious bother. I'd go so far as to say they need to beat WBA.
    Lots of ifs and not even mentioning the fact that they're also ahead of Newcastle. Norwich are by no means out of the woods but you'd defo take their position over Wigan whose manager receives regular acclaim for achieving pretty much the same as Norwich.

what exact point are you trying to make, as youve lost me..have no idea where you are going.

we can settle this with one simple question, you think hughton is doing a good job?

i dont. am baffled how you think im talking s*it by saying norwich are in the relegation zone, its not an opinion that they are, its a fact. they are IMO, favorites to go down as it stands as they have failed to win 17 of their last 19 games.

a loss/draw against WBA and they are gone. but as i keep saying to you and your seem to keep ingoring it, finishing 16th or 17th is not a great endorsement for Hughton and i think they are best served to get rid of him, as Newcastle were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I have no idea how he got us 5th last season and has us teetering on the brink of relegation.

His tactics this year have been deplorable.

When St James' Park sells out nearly every home game and he comes out with lines like, "please continue to back the team" is a huge slap in the face for those supporters who know nothing but supporting the team through thick and in this case, very thin.

We've arguably had the best crop of players at our disposal in about 10 years and to be on the brink of Championship football is absurd.

8 year contract after one good season.... Ridiculous.

Even if we stay up, I think he needs to go. Alienating Anita and continuing to play Jonas even though he's utter shíte is inexcusable.

We've not had the best of luck with injuries but I don't want to use that as an excuse. We're here because of Pardew's tactics. There's a serious rot that is far too late to be addressed. Playing long balls all the time to nobody is infuriating. Haven't scored once from a corner this season. Players wanting to get rid of the ball as soon as they get it. Nobody bar Ben Arfa seems to have the confidence to take on players.

I'm resigned to us going down to be honest. If we stay up it'll only be because teams around us fúck up.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I have no idea how he got us 5th last season and has us teetering on the brink of relegation.

His tactics this year have been deplorable.

When St James' Park sells out nearly every home game and he comes out with lines like, "please continue to back the team" is a huge slap in the face for those supporters who know nothing but supporting the team through thick and in this case, very thin.

We've arguably had the best crop of players at our disposal in about 10 years and to be on the brink of Championship football is absurd.

8 year contract after one good season.... Ridiculous.

Even if we stay up, I think he needs to go. Alienating Anita and continuing to play Jonas even though he's utter shíte is inexcusable.

We've not had the best of luck with injuries but I don't want to use that as an excuse. We're here because of Pardew's tactics. There's a serious rot that is far too late to be addressed. Playing long balls all the time to nobody is infuriating. Haven't scored once from a corner this season. Players wanting to get rid of the ball as soon as they get it. Nobody bar Ben Arfa seems to have the confidence to take on players.

I'm resigned to us going down to be honest. If we stay up it'll only be because teams around us fúck up.

is this 8 year contract not a huge myth? is it not a one year rolling extention, that can be reviewed after 8 years so in essence, can still be sacked?

also think that you have been decimated with injuries and have had some key decisions against you that have really effected the teams progress and confidence.

right now, ye need one hell of a performance against QPR to stay up...at the very least, you need to match Norwichs result next week and then just hope that on the last day, you lose by less goals than they do against City...

is this 8 year contract not a huge myth? is it not a one year rolling extention, that can be reviewed after 8 years so in essence, can still be sacked?

I've no idea about the ins and outs of it really. I haven't heard anything different about what kind of contract it is.
    also think that you have been decimated with injuries and have had some key decisions against you that have really effected the teams progress and confidence.

Injuries haven't helped and I blame the owner for not willingly purchasing adequate back up in key positions. When you're relying on Dan Gosling and Obertan, you know you're fúcked.

Should've had a goal against West Ham on Saturday that didn't stand but there's been or two times when we've been very very fortunate with offside goals that went in our favour etc. Probably evens itself out I guess. Can't deny that it's frustrating but some fans are quick to forget about very fortuitous goals in our favour.
    right now, ye need one hell of a performance against QPR to stay up...at the very least, you need to match Norwichs result next week and then just hope that on the last day, you lose by less goals than they do against City...

Have to go out and go all guns blazing for it. A huge game. QPR are down but it's their final home game of the season. They'll want to show something.

Think you're right about us and Norwich. West Brom for them this weekend so will be keeping an eye on that result very carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pardew can be summed with this wonderful quote from towards the end of last season.

arrogant and deluded.
    "Forget about Everton & Villa, we operate in a different league to them, we have put ourselves in a similar position to Arsenal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

i dont. am baffled how you think im talking s*it by saying norwich are in the relegation zone, its not an opinion that they are, its a fact. they are IMO, favorites to go down as it stands as they have failed to win 17 of their last 19 games.

What's your definition of the word fact? :confused:

That_Guy wrote: »

Have to go out and go all guns blazing for it. A huge game. QPR are down but it's their final home game of the season. They'll want to show something.

I dont think it matters a f**k to a lot of players at QPR.

what exact point are you trying to make, as youve lost me..have no idea where you are going.

we can settle this with one simple question, you think hughton is doing a good job?

a loss/draw against WBA and they are gone. but as i keep saying to you and your seem to keep ingoring it, finishing 16th or 17th is not a great endorsement for Hughton and i think they are best served to get rid of him, as Newcastle were.

Do you know what the relegation zone is???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

homerjay gone mad :D Bank Holidays don't suit some, and should come with a health warning!

In fairness lads, if you replace Homers "in the relegation zone" with "in danger of relegation" his post makes perfect sense.

A different interpretation in Springfield, perhaps? :)

SlickRic wrote: »
    Pardew can be summed with this wonderful quote from towards the end of last season.

arrogant and deluded.

We could very well be in a different league to them.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Most of all the people I know with any interest in football dislike him too. Can't say I am a fan myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

yes, you clearly dont. Norwich, Newcaslte, Sunderland, Wigan, Villa are all in the relegation zone.

dont know why your being so f*cking childish and pedantic about this. you not got anything better to be doing?

and answer the question i asked you please.

Wow, so you're still sticking by it so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

yes, you clearly dont. Norwich, Newcaslte, Sunderland, Wigan, Villa are all in the relegation zone.

No they aren't. Wigan, Reading and QPR are. Look up the table ffs. Last time I checked half the league doesn't get relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I'd imagine the Toon Army will be in the bottom 3 aka the relegation spots tonight, as I fancy Wigan to turnover Swansea in a 3-2 thriller!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd fancy Wigan too but not because of them its more that Swansea really don't have anything to play for. They have a cup win, are in Europe next season and the injury to Michu will only add to the mindset that there is more to be lost than gained by bursting a gut at this stage I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Is the Wigan/Swansea game on the box tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Is the Wigan/Swansea game on the box tonight?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Dear Laudrup.

Please attack Wigan from the start and score many goals to win game.

Yours Sincerely,
    North East Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Al Capwned wrote: »
    In fairness lads, if you replace Homers "in the relegation zone" with "in danger of relegation" his post makes perfect sense.

A different interpretation in Springfield, perhaps? :)

Yea, by simply moving a clubs league position up or down a few places, you can suit any argument. Great job by rafa getting Chelsea to 1st in the table

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I'd imagine the Toon Army will be in the bottom 3 aka the relegation spots tonight, as I fancy Wigan to turnover Swansea in a 3-2 thriller!

right score, wrong way around at present.

Hoping for a Wigan equaliser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

3 month sideline ban for a similar incident in Germany a few years ago, and he was sacked by his club as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norbert_Meier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Lars1916 wrote: »
    3 month sideline ban for a similar incident in Germany a few years ago, and he was sacked by his club as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norbert_Meier

Was that the incident where he dived to the ground after giving the headbutt?

Edit; I see it was that one, that was crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Only seen it there now, jaysus he doesn't do himself any favors does he. Pure madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

gwu.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

As idiotic as it is, can you seriously call that a headbutt? That said, what the hell was he doing getting involved like that. Utter stupidity, and he'll deservedly get a long ban I reckon.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26402044

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

As idiotic as it is, can you seriously call that a headbutt? That said, what the hell was he doing getting involved like that. Utter stupidity, and he'll deservedly get a long ban I reckon.

It doesn't matter, the intent is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Apparently the highlights on MOTD tonight are clearer. Gifs, by their nature, can be a bit jerky in nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

blueser wrote: »
    Apparently the highlights on MOTD tonight are clearer. Gifs, by their nature, can be a bit jerky in nature.

I've seen it numerous times on US TV, he moved his head towards Meyler, but its handbags really. Someone described on twitter as it being like what a cat does when they want you to stroke its neck, which is a good description

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Moneymaker wrote: »
    It doesn't matter, the intent is there.

Its not really though...Intent is when someone actively throws a punch, or launches the head, and the other person manages to avoid - in this case, he clearly isn't actually trying to slam his head into the guy.

He should still get in serious trouble for it regardless, but we shouldn't treat this as someone who actively set out to hurt someone else, cause it just isn't this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Pardew looks foolish of course but I think Meyler is getting away lightly with this. No need for him to shove him the way he did.

MotD now saying NUFC fining him 100k.

Savage saying he should resign. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

A split second of madness cost him 100,000.
    How bananas is that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement