Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Pardew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Love that Meyler is getting credit for not flopping on the ground. Aye, because you're going to be believably injured after Alan Pardew barely headbutts ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

keith16 wrote: »
    Pardew looks foolish of course but I think Meyler is getting away lightly with this. No need for him to shove him the way he did.

MotD now saying NUFC fining him 100k.

Savage saying he should resign. :rolleyes:

Overreaction there by savage, Pardew is a bit of a twat for what he done but there is no way he should resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Overreaction there by savage, Pardew is a bit of a twat for what he done but there is no way he should resign.

Yep, plus he's apologised and his employers have punished him. I just don't understand how MotD are saying it was unprovoked. Meyler absolutely provoked him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

He's a hothead, we all knew that. No justifying his actions here though. But he shouldnt lose his job over it. I'm a nufc fan, and one of the few who thinks he is doing a decent job with what he has. Looking at the squad, I'd say 7th or 8th is about right. He just needs to control his temper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Steve Bruce has came out saying Pardew should be charged with attempted murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Pardew looks foolish of course but I think Meyler is getting away lightly with this. No need for him to shove him the way he did.

Meyler did very little, probably no need for it but it would be a non-incident if Pardew didn't stick his head in him.

Absolutely no excuses and with his history the FA will throw the book at him, and rightly so.

The fines and bans won't hurt Pardew though, what is 100k? A months pay?

He has just shown his true colours once again, Nobody would miss him if he left the game tomorrow.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Meyler did very little, probably no need for it but it would be a non-incident if Pardew didn't stick his head in him.

Absolutely no excuses and with his history the FA will throw the book at him, and rightly so.

The fines and bans won't hurt Pardew though, what is 100k? A months pay?

He has just shown his true colours once again, Nobody would miss him if he left the game tomorrow.

I'm no fan of Pardew, but what, because he's a manager he's not allowed get involved in the same type of stuff that goes on week in week out? He should just stand there and let himself be shoved around like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I'm no fan of Pardew, but what, because he's a manager he's not allowed get involved in the same type of stuff that goes on week in week out? He should just stand there and let himself be shoved around like that?

Not saying he should just stand there and take it but thats no excuse, there are no excuses. He is the manager and that does make a difference in this case. Its not his first time either, if he hasn't learned by now he never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

He could have moved out of the way, he clearly saw the player coming to get the ball.

Fact they were winning well makes it all the more metal.

Fined 100k and given formal letter by newcastle.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Not saying he should just stand there and take it but thats no excuse, there are no excuses. He is the manager and that does make a difference in this case. Its not his first time either, if he hasn't learned by now he never will.

I do get that, but I don't think the player involved should get away with it either. Imagine if Meyler did that to the 4th offical, or the linesman...there would be uproar.

The same level of respect should be afforded to the manager who was standing in his technical area. Meyler only pushed Pardew because he didn't catch the ball and throw it back to him.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    He could have moved out of the way, he clearly saw the player coming to get the ball.

Don't agree with that. Pardew was perfectly entitled to stand his ground where he was and did what anyone else would have.

Would be a different story if Pardew was outside his technical area and actively blocking Meyler or kicked the ball away, then I'd say Meyler was right to give him a shove.

If Hull find themselves two or three goals down every week and are needing to take quick throw ins, they should get their ballboys to act accordingly.

As I say, I'm no fan of Pardew and MotDs little montage of his past antics show him for the fool he is. But in this instance, I think he is being a little hard done by dint of the fact everyone will have forgotten / overlooked the fact that he was clearly provoked here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You can't head butt people he's toast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Davy Fitz prowling the line like a tourettes sufferer on crack cocaine makes Alan Pardew look like a little puppy.

Don't agree with that. Pardew was perfectly entitled to stand his ground where he was and did what anyone else would have.

Stand his ground? Not sure i see it your way, ball gone out for a throw its behind him (no ballboys ever near technical areas in any ground i have seen). He knows they want t o take it quick and stands in the players way.

Imo hes looking for confrontation. Im shocked Meyler didnt deck him.

Stand his ground? Not sure i see it your way, ball gone out for a throw its behind him (no ballboys ever near technical areas in any ground i have seen). He knows they want t o take it quick and stands in the players way.

Imo hes looking for confrontation. Im shocked Meyler didnt deck him.

Maybe, I'd need to see it again but I don't think Pardew actively got in his way. In other words, the ball went out where Pardew was standing.

Maybe, I'd need to see it again but I don't think Pardew actively got in his way. In other words, the ball went out where Pardew was standing.

yup but he seen Meyler from 15 feet away, suppose its in his nature to be confrontational but 3-1? up and coasting it.

Very stupid on his behalf.

yup but he seen Meyler from 15 feet away, suppose its in his nature to be confrontational but 3-1? up and coasting it.

Very stupid on his behalf.

Ah yeah, definitely. Bottom line, Pardew shouldn't have reacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Have we become that soft and sensitive that what Pardew did provokes hysteria and outrage. It can barely be called a headbutt.

What he did was a bit stupid but it's not a hanging offence. Some people really need to wind their necks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Love that Meyler is getting credit for not flopping on the ground. Aye, because you're going to be believably injured after Alan Pardew barely headbutts ya.

Didier Drogba would still be rolling around on the floor

• Advertisement

Could ahve been worse

https://vine.co/v/MKxQFDUHnl9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Dietsquirt wrote: »

If Pardew headbutted The Drog, Pardew would smash in his own forehead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Have we become that soft and sensitive that what Pardew did provokes hysteria and outrage. It can barely be called a headbutt.

What he did was a bit stupid but it's not a hanging offence. Some people really need to wind their necks in.

How many managers can you remember getting sent off for thrusting his head towards a player? Nothing to do with soft and sensitive, there's a reason it happens extremely rarely, because it's absolutely bat**** crazy for a manager to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Would be a different story if Pardew was outside his technical area and actively blocking Meyler or kicked the ball away, then I'd say Meyler was right to give him a shove.

If Hull find themselves two or three goals down every week and are needing to take quick throw ins, they should get their ballboys to act accordingly.

As I say, I'm no fan of Pardew and MotDs little montage of his past antics show him for the fool he is. But in this instance, I think he is being a little hard done by dint of the fact everyone will have forgotten / overlooked the fact that he was clearly provoked here.

He stepped over the ball instead of stopping it and was therefore in Meyler's way. He was trying to be crafty and waste a bit of time and it's cost him 100K. Delighted for him. Should be sacked as it's far from the first incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

The definition of a headbutt has really changed since the days I was out getting in trouble.
    You would swear the man carried out a premeditated murder attempt.
    Man makes mistake, man gets punished, move on.
    Who is anyone to say that a person should loose their job after an on field altercation in which a person makes a brief mistake, this should define all the years he has worked at his job and everything he has worked for just gets thrown out the window with no regard for his behavior the other 99.99999% of the time.

There's always been a bit of classless about the chap tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Before you know it, they'll be doing drive-by shootings on the to touchline. Madness I tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Corholio wrote: »
    How many managers can you remember getting sent off for thrusting his head towards a player? Nothing to do with soft and sensitive, there's a reason it happens extremely rarely, because it's absolutely bat**** crazy for a manager to do it.

It was a silly thing to do but he hardly assaulted him. It was a push of the head. People's reactions, particularly Robbie Savage's, are completely over the top.

Managers have done this sort of thing forever. Fergie kicked a boot at Beckham, Souness got in a bust up at Newcastle, Mancini did likewise at City. It's not right but it's not a hanging offence.

People should stop taking themselves so seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Great to see a bit of passion in football!

The Fine from Newcastle is strong, maybe a short term ban from the FA, but what some people are saying, he should be sacked and kicked out of football,etc is madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

It was a silly thing to do but he hardly assaulted him. It was a push of the head. People's reactions, particularly Robbie Savage's, are completely over the top.

Managers have done this sort of thing forever. Fergie kicked a boot at Beckham, Souness got in a bust up at Newcastle, Mancini did likewise at City. It's not right but it's not a hanging offence.

I know right, and Robbie Savage of all people to point the finger, he wasn't exactly an angel himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A 100k fine and formal warning is severe punishment. Surely that is more than enough when allied to inevitable lengthy touch line ban and FA fine on top?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Did Dave Meyler suffer any brain damage?

No.

Sky Sports News will probably make a big deal about it all Sunday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A 100k fine and formal warning is severe punishment. Surely that is more than enough when allied to inevitable lengthy touch line ban and FA fine on top?
    Is it enough though? This guy is a manager of a club and for me that means he has to act in a manner befitting that role and in this instance he did not. I see this as a sackable offense.

If a fan done something like this people would be calling for criminal charges and a lifetime ban. The same should apply here imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Brian Clough slapped a fan on camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

mikeym wrote: »

No.

I think it is a big deal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Brian Clough slapped a fan on camera.

If it's the occasion I'm thinking about, it was a pitch invasion by the supporters of Clough's own team [Forest?] and Cloughie gave one of them a clip round the head.

Also known by some footie fans at the time as "the shít hits the fan" incident.

As for the Pardew situation, the guy's a bit of a tool, but then so is Meyler. You don't lay hands on match officials (no matter how mildly). And you don't lay hands upon team managers. Imagine if John Terry had pushed SAF out of the way to get to a ball. There would be people hyperventilating the length and breadth of the country, no matter what SAF's response to it was.

What Pardew did was beyond stupid - physically it was innocuous - and he's a history of this kind of brainfárt, including calling Pelligrini a "fúcking old c**t" in January this year.

Newcastle seem to have got ahead of the story to some extent with the fine and warning. If there's a further fine and a lengthy touchline ban from the FA, Pardew can hardly complain. But it is in me brown a sackable offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Surprised Chelsea fans haven't been on to defend his behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just watching MOTD now. LOL at Steve Bruces comment about how proud he was that Meyler restrained himself from reacting to the headbutt... while we're shown footage of Meyler being held back by various teammates roaring his head off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I hope they ban him from the dressing room too...

Surprised Chelsea fans haven't been on to defend his behaviour.

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Bacchus wrote: »
    Just watching MOTD now. LOL at Steve Bruces comment about how proud he was that Meyler restrained himself from reacting to the headbutt... while we're shown footage of Meyler being held back by various teammates roaring his head off :)

I presume he means the fact that Meyler didn't fall to the ground and make a meal of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    After his 2012 CL run Drogba can do whatever he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Its not exactly Pardew's first incident on the touchline. He is an absolute **** of a man

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Panthro wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

Probably about their beloved leader Mourinho eye gouging Tito Vilanova

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Am I alone in thinking Meyler didn't do much wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

The definition of a headbutt has really changed since the days I was out getting in trouble.
    Really? How would you define a headbutt then? And what was Pardew doing - attempting to calm Meyler via a gentle forehead-to-forehead massage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

CSF wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking Meyler didn't do much wrong?

I don't think Meyles did anything wrong.Pardew could have stopped the ball but just lifted his foot over it .Meyler gave him a nudge/brushed past him and Pardew lost the rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

yabadabado wrote: »
    I don't think Meyles did anything wrong.Pardew could have stopped the ball but just lifted his foot over it .Meyler gave him a nudge/brushed past him and Pardew lost the rag.
    That was my take on it aswell. I wouldn't call it a shove or even intent to shove. Just trying to get past him.

yabadabado wrote: »

Give me a break, Pardew did nothing you wouldn't see week in week out across Europe.

You really think Pardew should have trapped the ball and flicked it up to Meyler?

It was much more than a nudge. It was the shove of a school yard bully upset that he didn't get his ball back.

Probably about their beloved leader Mourinho eye gouging Tito Vilanova

Pardew headbutting a Hull player has sweet dick all to do with Chelsea FC, or with any other club for that matter tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

mikeym wrote: »

No.

To be fair though, it is a sensitive issue ever since RVP was brain damaged after Ashley Williams kicked a ball at his head once.

Advertisement