Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Pardew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Nobody actually downplaying it though, we're all saying he should be punished. Whereas others seem to think he should be sacked. Suarez wasn't sacked ;)

just a couple of the comments on the last page. while im sure many comments like this are tongue in cheek. there is this defense of pardew attitude out there right now claiming he didnt make contact etc

im not saying he should be sacked. your picking at what you want because quiet frankly your comments to me are making no sense

you mistook what i said because you half read what i said. make of that what you will but my comment saying that if it was suarez makes perfect sense. you certainly wouldnt get the following comments about suarez, even in jest
    Cienciano wrote: »
    I just saw the incident. Can we stop calling it a "headbutt"? It was pretty much nothing.
    jonny24ie wrote: »
    It was more of an eskimo kiss than a headbutt in all fairness.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol, cool

Football fans are banned from encroaching onto the playing area; ****ing objects onto the playing area; ****ing objects at other parts of the stadium; attacking fans in or around the stadium; inciting racial hatred or political extremism from the stands.

What has any of that got to do with Pardew and Meyler's handbags? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Paulegend wrote: »
    just a couple of the comments on the last page. while im sure many comments like this are tongue in cheek. there is this defense of pardew attitude out there right now claiming he didnt make contact etc

im not saying he should be sacked. your picking at what you want because quiet frankly your comments to me are making no sense

you mistook what i said because you half read what i said. make of that what you will but my comment saying that if it was suarez makes perfect sense. you certainly wouldnt get the following comments about suarez, even in jest

I think you're grasping, why wouldn't you get those comments about Suarez? Remember that Pardew isn't exactly a good guy either, he has previous.

I think you're grasping, why wouldn't you get those comments about Suarez? Remember that Pardew isn't exactly a good guy either, he has previous.

well because suarez was the anticrist according to the media. surely you dont think that its all tin foil hats when someone says that the media where just waiting for a big suarez story. hell id be surprised if they where not still waiting for him to do something.

the red tops had a 4 day spread about "the bite" 4 fooking days. cmon

if he was one of the others i do think he would get a harder time about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't get how people can say that it wasn't a headbutt. It was a pretty **** headbutt but I don't think one would get any more lenient a sentence for throwing a **** punch, this should be no different.

Pardew's behaviour has been despicable for some time now. This needs to be taken into account and the chap needs to have the book thrown at him. 10 game ban minimum and a hefty fine to go with it (Newcastle's internal disciplinary proceedings should have no bearing on the FA ones.

Alternatively we could make him walk the plank and televise it....

CSF wrote: »
    I don't get how people can say that it wasn't a headbutt. It was a pretty **** headbutt but I don't think one would get any more lenient a sentence for throwing a **** punch, this should be no difference.

Pardew's behaviour has been despicable for some time now. This needs to be taken into account and the chap needs to have the book thrown at him. 10 game ban minimum and a hefty fine to go with it (Newcastle's internal disciplinary proceedings should have no bearing on the FA ones.

or put him into celebrity big brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Love that Meyler is getting credit for not flopping on the ground. Aye, because you're going to be believably injured after Alan Pardew barely headbutts ya.

Come on you have to admit if that happened to a heck of a lot of the professionals in the PL, they would be rolling around like they were shot.
    DeanAustin wrote: »
    It was a silly thing to do but he hardly assaulted him. It was a push of the head. People's reactions, particularly Robbie Savage's, are completely over the top.

Managers have done this sort of thing forever. Fergie kicked a boot at Beckham, Souness got in a bust up at Newcastle, Mancini did likewise at City. It's not right but it's not a hanging offence.

People should stop taking themselves so seriously.

Didn't most of those happen behind closed doors, not in front of millions of TV viewers and thousands of spectators ?
    Hell the manager could wa** off in the dressing room in front of the team, but I don't think it would be quiet as acceptable to do it on the sideline during a match.
    Brian Clough slapped a fan on camera.

Wash your mouth out for comparing Cloughie to pardew. :eek:

I can think of a couple of karls that might volunteer to poke him with the sword ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

Paulegend wrote: »
    well because suarez was the anticrist according to the media. surely you dont think that its all tin foil hats when someone says that the media where just waiting for a big suarez story. hell id be surprised if they where not still waiting for him to do something.

Well you say that Suarez is seen as a "bad guy" in the media, and you'd be right. However, so is Pardew. Look at his previous. So your "if this was Suarez" statement doesn't hold up.

This could not have less to do with Suarez. Are we seriously going to throw the 'if this was Suarez' argument into every disciplinary case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The intent of that "head-butt" seemed more about gaining psychological superiority over Hull's hard-man in a responsive flash-point fashion, than about trying to inflict physical harm on him.
    Not trying to defend Pardew but the media adore this type of thing, SSN love a baddie and do-gooders across the land take delight in conjuring up punishments and dragging up past misdemeanours. Touch line ban, apology, donation to charity and an anger management course, done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A 100k fine and formal warning is severe punishment. Surely that is more than enough when allied to inevitable lengthy touch line ban and FA fine on top?

Does anyone at the minute actually believe that he will have to pay the £100,000 that Newcastle have fined him? I don't. Most likely it's just lip service from the club in the hope that the FA will go a bit easier on him.

These fines usually go to charity, it wouldn't do any harm to see the cheque being handed over and could give him and Newcastle some positive PR from this too. That is if he has even had to pay the fine at all.

I agree with you on the punishment by the way. He has an extremely long rap sheet at this stage but so do many players and they don't get anything extra added on for violent conduct just because of it (which is what a headbutt is defined as). The inevitable 3-5 game ban, maybe even more if the FA try to make an example, plus the FA fine is appropriate. It won't be long before he does something else mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Do ye think Pardew's behavior could have anything to do with the talks that Vince McMahon could be buying the club?

Might see him try a chokeslam next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Pardew has a lot of previous incidents,seems to have a very short fuse,what kind of example was it to children attending that game or seeing it on MOTD!!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pardew has a lot of previous incidents,seems to have a very short fuse,what kind of example was it to children attending that game or seeing it on MOTD!!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Children should not look to professional football for role models. Always a ridiculous argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Children should not look to professional football for role models. Always a ridiculous argument.

What else do young lads running around kicking a ball think about for role models

• Advertisement

Its not even about role models. There is a tonne of other things that go on that you wouldn't want your kids to see that aren't by people you expect your kids to hold as a role model.

I get that a football pitch is different to other workplaces but in this instance the mechanics are somewhat the same. If I loafed someone in front of a group of kids at work, the consequences would be severe. I'm not someone that many children would hold as a role model..............yet.

This sort of thing does happen with players too, and it is equally wrong, but managers, by the very nature of their duties need to be held to a higher code of behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

professional football is pretty tame today, compared to say competive rugby ; footballers prefer to throw pizza now than punches , cause if they do, the BBC moral brigade will arrive , calling for lifetime bans etc etc - When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

thebaz wrote: »
    professional football is pretty tame today, compared to say competive rugby ; footballers prefer to throw pizza now than punches , cause if they do, the BBC moral brigade will arrive , calling for lifetime bans etc etc - When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is

Thats a bad thing? That they throw pizza instead of punches? It would be a sad day when throwing punches was 'all part of the game'.

nuxxx wrote: »
    What else do young lads running around kicking a ball think about for role models

Their Dad. Their Mam. Their family members. Their teachers. Their own sports coaches.

Lots of far more fundamental places than the overpaid, socially disconnected and inarticulate typical modern football manager / player.

Corholio wrote: »
    Thats a bad thing? That they throw pizza instead of punches? It would be a sad day when throwing punches was 'all part of the game'.

you actually see more head-butts today than fists , which is sad ; its all cynical sly cowardly dangerous acts , rather than the odd brawl, from a different era

• Advertisement

Jesus some people have a serious masculinity complex.

must be the smell of war in the air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

you actually see more head-butts today than fists , which is sad ; its all cynical sly cowardly dangerous acts , rather than the odd brawl, from a different era

Because punches to the face isnt dangerous?, a punch is far more dangerous than a brush of someones head against yours, there's not that many actual headbutts. Thankfully a different era if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

nuxxx wrote: »

Stephen Hawkins.

Jesus some people have a serious masculinity complex.

Surely you would prefer a landscape where 'violent conduct' was one player giving another a straight smack and that being the end of it? The perpetrator getting a lengthy ban and the victim getting back to his feet as soon as he's genuinely able. No?

Is there not some part of you that winces when you see a player dramatically fall to the floor after he gets softly touched by an opposing player (maybe not even on the face)? The fact that so much is being made of this incident is embarrassing really. It was nothing that doesn't happen a million times on a Saturday night: two idiots square up and are quickly broken up. The bigger idiot realises his error and apologises soon after. And some people want criminal charges and lifetime bans?

I just like people (not just men) to act honestly and to be straight. Blowing this incident out of proportion like many are currently doing is a symptom of honesty long being removed from the game.

Surely you would prefer a landscape where 'violent conduct' was one player giving another a straight smack and that being the end of it? The perpetrator getting a lengthy ban and the victim getting back to his feet as soon as he's genuinely able. No?

Is there not some part of you that winces when you see a player dramatically fall to the floor after he gets softly touched by an opposing player (maybe not even on the face)? The fact that so much is being made of this incident is embarrassing really. It was nothing that doesn't happen a million times on a Saturday night: two idiots square up and are quickly broken up. The bigger idiot realises his error and apologises soon after. And some people want criminal charges and lifetime bans?

I just like people (not just men) to act honestly and to be straight. Blowing this incident out of proportion like many are currently doing is a symptom of honesty long being removed from the game.
    I don't like cheating, obviously. But not out of some macho code the way some people go on, as if people's cheating has some bearing on their masculinity, or more bizarrely their sexuality. I equally dislike people behaving like Neanderthals running around throwing digs.

My issue is with the twisted logic that there's some sort of higher moral code that applies to guys that throw an 'honest dig' than the 'sissyboys who go down at the brush of a feather'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

He lost his cool, it's understandable. He has been fined and the FA will swoop in with further punishment. That's it. Robbie Savage has some cheek saying he should resign, a total idiot and pure and utter hypocrite.

The question is will he be able to keep the dressing room after this. If so, he should keep his job because he's doing pretty ok. Some of the OTT reactions here are ludicrous. Yes he's a dick, but a lifetime ban from football for a nudge with his head? Get real. This is top level football, an extremely high stress sport where things get heated. Meyler is not totally blameless either, he has absolutely no right to touch Pardew let alone push him away. Could you imagine the uproar if someone had done that to SAF in their attempt to get the ball and he had acted accordingly? The player would be labelled a degenerate scumbag for touching him and SAF would be given a slap on the wrist at most.

Pardew made a big mistake but his reputation precedes him and that's why the reaction is so over the top. He'll get punished more than adequately by the FA, and his managerial credibility will suffer until he retires. Surely that's enough of a punishment considering he lost control for a few seconds at most?

He lost his cool, it's understandable. He has been fined and the FA will swoop in with further punishment. That's it. Robbie Savage has some cheek saying he should resign, a total idiot and pure and utter hypocrite.

The question is will he be able to keep the dressing room after this. If so, he should keep his job because he's doing pretty ok. Some of the OTT reactions here are ludicrous. Yes he's a dick, but a lifetime ban from football for a nudge with his head? Get real. This is top level football, an extremely high stress sport where things get heated. Meyler is not totally blameless either, he has absolutely no right to touch Pardew let alone push him away. Could you imagine the uproar if someone had done that to SAF in their attempt to get the ball and he had acted accordingly? The player would be labelled a degenerate scumbag for touching him and SAF would be given a slap on the wrist at most.

Pardew made a big mistake but his reputation precedes him and that's why the reaction is so over the top. He'll get punished more than adequately by the FA, and his managerial credibility will suffer until he retires. Surely that's enough of a punishment considering he lost control for a few seconds at most?
    That Fergie comparison is absolute horse****. Meyler did pretty much nothing. He was literally just getting past him. No intent to push, provoke or harm Pardew. Was just getting the ball and definitely didn't use excessive force in doing so.

Pardew is entitled to slow things down by not moving but needs to appreciate that the chap is going to try get by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I have to disagree on you with regards to Meyler doing nothing. You can't do that to the manager of the opposing team full stop. If managers are supposed to be held to a higher moral standard than players because they aren't "part of the action" then I expect players to adhere to this as well and leave them out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Fergie got huge bans for speaking about refs and they took into account past behaviour. It is nonsense to suggest that people would be up in arms at Meyler alone if Fergie was involved.

Pardew has a pretty shocking record on the touchlines. A decent ban will be handed out. The end.

• Advertisement

I don't like cheating, obviously. But not out of some macho code the way some people go on, as if people's cheating has some bearing on their masculinity, or more bizarrely their sexuality.

your'e the one going on about masculinity and complexes - personally, I hate the Holier than though stance adopted by the BBC and the crew on ther over analysis of any small misdemeanour ; football always has been a competive physical game - some people prefer the sanitised way it is today , some prefer it to a different era - and everyone is entitled to ther opion

your'e the one going on about masculinity and complexes - personally, I hate the Holier than though stance adopted by the BBC and the crew on ther over analysis of any small misdemeanour ; football always has been a competive physical game - some people prefer the sanitised way it is today , some prefer it to a different era - and everyone is entitled to ther opion

What are you even talking about???

I have to disagree on you with regards to Meyler doing nothing. You can't do that to the manager of the opposing team full stop. If managers are supposed to be held to a higher moral standard than players because they aren't "part of the action" then I expect players to adhere to this as well and leave them out of it.
    Genuinely don't think he did anything. Was kind of like the equivalent of what you'd do if you need to get by somebody in a nightclub but can't get their attention. There was no real force in it, just trying to get by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Alan Pardew is a mong child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Was I the only one delighted that Pardew threw the head in? I know Meyler from around Cork and he's not the nicest guy around.

Either way this is blown massively out of proportion, Pardew acts the maggot a bit but what's wrong with a bit of character and passion on the sideline?

Football can be so boring sometimes, we hate to admit it but we like having people like Pardew, Mourinho, Barton and Suarez.

rob316 wrote: »
    Was I the only one delighted that Pardew threw the head in? I know Meyler from around Cork and he's not the nicest guy around.

Either way this is blown massively out of proportion, Pardew acts the maggot a bit but what's wrong with a bit of character and passion on the sideline?

Football can be so boring sometimes, we hate to admit it but we like having people like Pardew, Mourinho, Barton and Suarez.
    Suarez, yes. Mourinho, yes. Not because of the controversy but because they bring a lot to the sport.
    Pardew, no. Barton, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Suarez, yes. Mourinho, yes. Not because of the controversy but because they bring a lot to the sport.
    Pardew, no. Barton, no.

So if you are good at what you do, being a scumbag is excusable?? Ridiculous argument.

So if you are good at what you do, being a scumbag is excusable?? Ridiculous argument.

That's now what I said though, but yes, ridiculous argument.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

7 game ban dished out.

3 from the stadium - 4 from the touchline
    Alan Pardew :
    "I will accept the punishment handed down by the FA ... I deeply regret the incident."

nothing more to see here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Agueroooo wrote: »
    7 game ban dished out.

3 from the stadium - 4 from the touchline

nothing more to see here.

No fine?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

YayaBanana wrote: »
    No fine?

dont think so. no mention

smart move by Newcastle to heavily fine him from the start.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    No fine?

£60,000.

Harsh punishment, but that's the nature of it. That should close the incident imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Seems about right. Hopefully thats the last of it as he is a serious embarrassment to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Harsh punishment, but that's the nature of it. That should close the incident imo.

Harsh? Really? Its about as light as it could have been.

• Advertisement

Few games too short for me. I can't stand the man though so I am also insanely biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Few games too short for me. I can't stand the man though so I am also insanely biased.

Longest ban since a manager hit a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Will this upset the season? It will be hard to win at the weekend now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Neeson wrote: »
    Will this upset the season? It will be hard to win at the weekend now.

Not much to play for, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What a wonderful manager.

• Advertisement
Advertisement