Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees fail close to an oil tank??

• 06-05-2013 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is it possible that trees planted close to an oil tank fail because of fumes from the tank? We planted a tree in close proximity to our oil tank and it just 'died' (other trees planted elsewhere are still perfect) and the leylandiis between our house and our neighbours died exactly where their oil tank is... both tanks are relatively new and neither are leaking - however there is an 'oily' smell in the area?

Any help appreciated because we want to replant new leylandiis etc

Thank you...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Possible cause could be contaminated soil from a previous spill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Possible cause could be contaminated soil from a previous spill?

Possibly - maybe the oil man had a small spill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If none of the above, I would be more inclined to think that the underground pipe taking oil to the burner has a leak, unless the trees just died for normal reasons such as drought, I would doubt that fumes would do it as I have tree in a similar situation.

What were the dying symptoms?
    How far away from this tree is your neighbours tree?
    What kind of tree is it?
    When did you plant it?
    A photo would be helpful.

Perhaps considering somthing other than leylandii would be a progressive move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

I have beech hedging right in front of oil tank . It's doing well. There is also a smell of oil when the breeze comes from the south. The soil must have oil /had oil in it at some stage

Oldtree wrote: »
    If none of the above, I would be more inclined to think that the underground pipe taking oil to the burner has a leak, unless the trees just died for normal reasons such as drought, I would doubt that fumes would do it as I have tree in a similar situation.

What were the dying symptoms?
    How far away from this tree is your neighbours tree?
    What kind of tree is it?
    When did you plant it?
    A photo would be helpful.

Perhaps considering somthing other than leylandii would be a progressive move.

Unfortunately I dont remember the type of tree it was (it was a gift from a neighbour for the birth of my son - he even planted it). It would have been planted in Oct/Nov and it just withered away, went completely dry. Would you believe I dug it out a few weeks ago and dumped it. It was about 40 feet from my neighbours oil tank/trees but only 10 foot from oil tank - Thanks

• Advertisement

Was it evergreen and did you maintain it after planting?

Oldtree wrote: »
    Was it evergreen and did you maintain it after planting?

Hi - No, it wasn't evergreen and the 'maintenance' would have been minimal. That being said, a second tree purchased and planted at the same time is flourishing.

what was the height and with of tree and at what time of year did you plant it and was it bare root? did you use any weed killers near it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

oil from our tank last year was stolen, the left the pipe open and it went all over the garden. Still a strong smell from the area in the garden. ant tips on how to treat the area in the garden that got contaminated?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

oil in the ground

TREES HAVE NO NOSES TO SMELL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

bri007 wrote: »
    oil from our tank last year was stolen, the left the pipe open and it went all over the garden. Still a strong smell from the area in the garden. ant tips on how to treat the area in the garden that got contaminated?

Remove all contaminated soil and replace with new.

Agree strongly with Sonnenblumen, painful i know and i hope the kids arnt playing in it. It is a petrolium product.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/ProductsServices/ChemicalsPoisons/ChemicalRiskAssessment/ChemicalIncidentManagement/DomesticHeatingOil/GeneralInformation/chemheatingoilFAQ/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whadafook

I have the same Problem. After a lot of searching I found a company called Comco www.cen.ie in Drogheda. They have a biodegradable spray they say will clean up an oil spill

Rang them today. He spent 40 mins on the phone explaining what it would do and how to use it. I ordered 2 litres hopefully it will work as they say it should and eliminate odours after a week or so and break down the spill after 3 to 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks, I will check them out :) Hopefully it will sort it out,instead of pulling up the soil and relaying it

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whadafook

Thanks, I will check them out :) Hopefully it will sort it out,instead of pulling up the soil and relaying it

Sorry to tell you but there's still some digging

read the blurb before using, says suitable breating apperatus must be worn. can't find on how long area must be kept clear of people and pets, who dont have suitable breathing apperatus on..

http://www.cen.ie/contents/en-us/02%20msds%20S-200_EN%20051407.pdf

Advertisement