Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2014

Options
  • 06-05-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

After watching the events in Boston unfold a few weeks ago, I decided to change my mind on not running another marathon for a few years and to go about getting qualified for Boston 2014. Lived there for 16yrs, kids were born there, and ran it 3 times previously, so I felt I had to go back.

Now the problem was when to run the qualifying marathon? My focus this year is on the 1500m, so the only long runs I had done was a few 15 milers.

After running 14mls easy 2 weeks ago at 7:05 pace, I decided to try to get it out of the way in Limerick rather than wait for Cork.

Mission accomplished, 3:17:35, over 7mins under the 3:25 for my catogory :)
    Very happy to have got the qualifying time, I'll be ready for a sub 3 in Boston next year :D
    I know they'll be a huge demand for entries this year so hopefully that'll be enough to get me in.

Splits were:
    7:10, 7:29, 7:23, 7:23, 7:23,
    7:23, 7:20, 7:21, 7:22, 7:21
    7:24, 7:26, 7:24, 7:26, 7:26
    7:22, 7:22, 7:15, 7:15, 7:21
    7:03, 7:20, 7:56, 9:41, 7:39
    8:08, 2:20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Speedy44 wrote: »
    After watching the events in Boston unfold a few weeks ago, I decided to change my mind on not running another marathon for a few years and to go about getting qualified for Boston 2014. Lived there for 16yrs, kids were born there, and ran it 3 times previously, so I felt I had to go back.

Now the problem was when to run the qualifying marathon? My focus this year is on the 1500m, so the only long runs I had done was a few 15 milers.

After running 14mls easy 2 weeks ago at 7:05 pace, I decided to try to get it out of the way in Limerick rather than wait for Cork.

Mission accomplished, 3:17:35, over 7mins under the 3:25 for my catogory :)
    Very happy to have got the qualifying time, I'll be ready for a sub 3 in Boston next year :D
    I know they'll be a huge demand for entries this year so hopefully that'll be enough to get me in.

Splits were:
    7:10, 7:29, 7:23, 7:23, 7:23,
    7:23, 7:20, 7:21, 7:22, 7:21
    7:24, 7:26, 7:24, 7:26, 7:26
    7:22, 7:22, 7:15, 7:15, 7:21
    7:03, 7:20, 7:56, 9:41, 7:39
    8:08, 2:20

well done speedy, hope to there myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Sosa wrote: »
    well done speedy, hope to there myself

cheers Sosa, finding out though that I may have to do it all over again as Limerick is not an AIMS certified course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

cheers Sosa, finding out though that I may have to do it all over again as Limerick is not an AIMS certified course :(

registration opens in september...what are your options?
    maybe waterford, but i do not know if it is aims....dont think it is
    Cork surely is, but its a bit close after limerick
    I ran a very comfortable 3:08 which has me under 3:10 for my age but with the food of applicants they are going to get for next year...who knows...i ran with a charity waiver this year and was 25k deep out of 28k ...lots of fun getting through the crowds!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Waterford isn't part of AIMS either. Cork is, but a bit close to Limerick, like you said.

Longford might be the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I ran a very comfortable 3:08 which has me under 3:10 for my age but with the food of applicants they are going to get for next year...who knows...i ran with a charity waiver this year and was 25k deep out of 28k ...lots of fun getting through the crowds!

Portumna is AIMS and coming 2 weeks after Cork, is probably the best bet? Failry flat too.
    Are you all sure they won't accept a non-aims race? I know that several people have gotten into London and New York of non Aims races (not even AAI races actually).

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info guys. Will check it out and if Limerick doesn't work I may just do Portumna as its close by. This could of course totally screw up my track season, which is why I did Limerick in the first place :mad:

Hi Sosa,

Just got word back from AAI;
    I can confirm that the Limerick Marathon was measured by an Athletics Ireland certified course measurer affiliated to IAAF/AIMS and will suffice.

Hopefully this means that I should be ok :)

Hi Sosa,

Just got word back from AAI;
    I can confirm that the Limerick Marathon was measured by an Athletics Ireland certified course measurer affiliated to IAAF/AIMS and will suffice.

Hopefully this means that I should be ok :)

Tha't what I would have thought.
    I looked at the Aims website and a lot of obvious races weren't even mentioned there. Only 4 marathons in the UK are on that List and that doesn't include London :eek:

menoscemo wrote: »
    Tha't what I would have thought.
    I looked at the Aims website and a lot of obvious races weren't even mentioned there. Only 4 marathons in the UK are on that List and that doesn't include London :eek:

London resigned from AIMS when they formed the Marathon Majors series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Still holding out some hope of getting in next year. Some positive vibes coming from the people of Hopkinton regarding an expanded race next year!!
    http://m.runnersworld.com/races/hopkinton-residents-favor-expanded-2014-boston?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-HopkintonResidents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

neilc wrote: »
    Still holding out some hope of getting in next year. Some positive vibes coming from the people of Hopkinton regarding an expanded race next year!!
    http://m.runnersworld.com/races/hopkinton-residents-favor-expanded-2014-boston?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-HopkintonResidents

The expanded race next year will be to cater for those who didn't make the finish line this year. They will get first dibs next year. There might actually be less places available to the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

The expanded race next year will be to cater for those who didn't make the finish line this year. They will get first dibs next year. There might actually be less places available to the qualifiers.

Yeah, that did cross my mind alright.
    Another thing to consider though is that the spring marathon season is pretty much over and the autumn marathons are after the cut off for next year so unless people are already qualified there's not that much time to prepare and qualify. Summer marathon conditions won't help either. Hey, I know I'm clutching at straws here but still hoping rather than hopeful that minus 4:32 will do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

neilc wrote: »
    Yeah, that did cross my mind alright.
    Another thing to consider though is that the spring marathon season is pretty much over and the autumn marathons are after the cut off for next year so unless people are already qualified there's not that much time to prepare and qualify. Summer marathon conditions won't help either. Hey, I know I'm clutching at straws here but still hoping rather than hopeful that minus 4:32 will do it :)

Neil - I'd be very surprised if you don't get in even with added interest for next year. Remember this year had the new stricter times and it didn't fill up when entries first opened.

If you're really worried aim for this now: http://www.lochnessmarathon.com/
    Downhill fast marathon I believe and just in time for Boston entry. TFB ran it about 100 years ago I believe.

If you're really worried aim for this now: http://www.lochnessmarathon.com/
    Downhill fast marathon I believe and just in time for Boston entry. TFB ran it about 100 years ago I believe.

:rolleyes: Was that dig really necessary? Now I'm feeling even older than I already am! :o

I ran it in 2007. The first 8 miles are downhill, the rest is reasonably flat except for one big hill between miles 16 and 18. It was very well organised, the scenery is marvellous and I loved it so I would definitely recommend it, not entirely sure that it's the fastest marathon around though (not that it is particularly hard by any means).

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Hi,

Accomodation
    Looking to organise some accomodation for Boston - I know 8 months to go but with prices the way they are, I think the sooner the better.

I need to sell this to the wife having done my research. I want to run Boston, shes a non marathon runner who wants tile the kitchen and bathroom!

Any of the city centre hotels will gladly take €1300 off me for 4 nights. I cant see myself paying that.
    From experience can anyone suggest a more reasonably priced hotel a little further out that is well served by the subway?

All info appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

I used airbnb.com to get an apartment. Got a large 2 bed apt about 20 minutes outside Boston for a week. Cost about the same as a hotel for a few nights, plus saved a bit by cooking in the apartment. More comfortable too. Highly recommended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dundrummer

Update on expanded field for next year from the BAA

"We're actively working with the State and the communities along the course to establish the field size for next year, as well as other aspects of our planning. Registration will open after the field size announcement is made.

We are hopeful that we'll be able to expand beyond the 27,000 runner limit of previous years for what will be a special event in 2014, but we have not committed to a certain number as of today."

The Boston Athletic Association today announced that registration for the 2014 Boston Marathon will open on September 9, 2013, and that the field size will expand to 36,000 registrants for next year only

http://www.baa.org/news-and-press/news-listing/2013/august/boston-marathon-registration-dates-and-field-size.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Boston Athletic Association today announced that registration for the 2014 Boston Marathon will open on September 9, 2013, and that the field size will expand to 36,000 registrants for next year only

http://www.baa.org/news-and-press/news-listing/2013/august/boston-marathon-registration-dates-and-field-size.aspx
    What do people reckon the effect will be on the qualifying time? Will the extra spaces mean 3.12ish times will get in or will the "special event" status mean more demand so qualification will still be around the 3.05 mark?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What do people reckon the effect will be on the qualifying time? Will the extra spaces mean 3.12ish times will get in or will the "special event" status mean more demand so qualification will still be around the 3.05 mark?

The qualifying times are not changing. Last year everybody that met the standard got in. If you don't meet the standard you don't get in irrespective of places. Given the likely extra demand they've increased the number of places to try and accommodate as many as possible. The fact remains that if you are a male under 35 on race day to even enter you need to have run 3:05 or faster - the more of a buffer you have the earlier you can enter so the more likely you will be accepted. During the entry process the slots are filled in order of those who have beaten their BQ time by the most.

Did you read the link above? It says:

Registration will occur on a “rolling admission” schedule, beginning with the fastest qualifiers. On Monday, September 9, eligible runners who have met the qualifying standard for their age and gender by 20 minutes or more may register. On Wednesday, September 11 at 10:00 a.m. ET, if space remains, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more. If space remains, registration will open on Friday, September 13 at 10:00 a.m. ET for those who have met their qualifying standard by five minutes or more. Registration will close on Saturday, September 14 at 10:00 p.m. ET.
    If space remains after the first week of registration (Monday, September 9 through Saturday, September 14), then registration will re-open for all qualifiers from Monday, September 16 at 10:00 a.m. ET through Friday, September 20 at 5:00 p.m. ET. If space remains after this initial period, then on Monday, September 23 registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards. Registration will remain open until the maximum field size is reached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Shedite27 wrote: »

I wish:rolleyes:. There is only 9000 extra places of which already 4,500 of last year non finishers have been taken. I think 4500 extra spots will not meet the demand for next years race and will be very surprised if registration does in fact reopen on Monday 23rd

Last year 53% of places filled after the BQ minus 5 minutes round. They are expecting double the applications this year so there's not going to be many places left after week 1 of the applications.

I have a BQ minus 15 :) so my biggest problem will be convincing Mrs. Yifter to let me go again.

Last year 53% of places filled after the BQ minus 5 minutes round. They are expecting double the applications this year so there's not going to be many places left after week 1 of the applications.

I have a BQ minus 15 :) so my biggest problem will be convincing Mrs. Yifter to let me go again.

I've only got BQ minus 7, so I'll be crossing everything :rolleyes:

I've only got BQ minus 7, so I'll be crossing everything :rolleyes:

You'll be fine - current prediction is BQ minus 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Registration will occur on a “rolling admission” schedule, beginning with the fastest qualifiers. On Monday, September 9, eligible runners who have met the qualifying standard for their age and gender by 20 minutes or more may register. On Wednesday, September 11 at 10:00 a.m. ET, if space remains, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more. If space remains, registration will open on Friday, September 13 at 10:00 a.m. ET for those who have met their qualifying standard by five minutes or more. Registration will close on Saturday, September 14 at 10:00 p.m. ET.
    If space remains after the first week of registration (Monday, September 9 through Saturday, September 14), then registration will re-open for all qualifiers from Monday, September 16 at 10:00 a.m. ET through Friday, September 20 at 5:00 p.m. ET. If space remains after this initial period, then on Monday, September 23 registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards. Registration will remain open until the maximum field size is reached.

Hayzeus christus. talk about creating work for themselves!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Anybody enter? I entered as BQ -12 today. Will be my 2nd trip to Boston marathon. Great race.

wideball wrote: »
    Anybody enter? I entered as BQ -12 today. Will be my 2nd trip to Boston marathon. Great race.

I entered today too as BQ - 15. Will be 2nd in a row please God.

Hoping to Enter on Friday as BQ-5. Really hoping there is still space left...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice one!! Here's hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Under your own name ?

Advertisement