Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

Entered also with BQ -13. Said last April I'd return.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

hoping to get in tomorrow. Missed on on -10 by 20 secs.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Looks like the qualifying slots are half full (or empty ;) ) http://www.runnersworld.com/races/boston-marathon-field-almost-half-full

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Is it 10am EST that registration opens, can't seem to register at the moment?
    I am BQ-8 but it says its not valid so wondering if it just means its not open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Is it 10am EST that registration opens, can't seem to register at the moment?
    I am BQ-8 but it says its not valid so wondering if it just means its not open yet?

Should be open 3.00pm Irish time :) Best of luck, I'm sure you'll get through no problem!

I'm not holding out much hope for a place on Monday myself. I've 0 seconds to spare.

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Should be open def3.00pm Irish time :) Best of luck, I'm sure you'll get through no problem!

I'm not holding out much hope for a place on Monday myself. I've 0 seconds to spare.

ouch :eek:
    you never know though, I'll keep the fingers crossed for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Speedy44 wrote: »
    ouch :eek:
    you never know though, I'll keep the fingers crossed for you ;)

Thanks Speedy, I need all the positive vibes I can get :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

RubyK wrote: »
    Should be open 3.00pm Irish time :) Best of luck, I'm sure you'll get through no problem!

Thinking of throwing my hat in here as well, I have applied for London but I'd say there is no chance. I only have 3 min to spare but the mens is usually more heavily subscribed I think so I don't reckon it will be enough - still, we all live in hope:p.

slowsteady wrote: »
    Thinking of throwing my hat in here as well, I have applied for London but I'd say there is no chance. I only have 3 min to spare but the mens is usually more heavily subscribed I think so I don't reckon it will be enough - still, we all live in hope:p.

You never know, a couple of years ago I got in by 4 seconds after all the averaging was done and all BQ times less 1:14 got in... although I'm guessing it's be greater than 1:14 this time..

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

Just put my name into the hat for Boston as I have a 2:59:51 marathon. Has anyone had their entry confirmed yet or will that take a few days?

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

rom wrote: »
    Under your own name ?

yep; just applied now in my own name. Fingers crossed, I reckon it will be 50-50

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I'd say you're fine Meno.
    If they open on Monday you can be sure you're in as they'll only open if space remains.

Waiting time to confirmation depends on the race. A mate who applied at the same time as me on Wed had almost instant approval as he was using his Boston time from this year. I didn't apply with my Boston time but used my Cork time and I'm still waiting on official approval.

I'd say once you've used a marathon that appeared in the drop-down list you'll have no hassle and can assume you're in.

I'd say once you've used a marathon that appeared in the drop-down list you'll have no hassle and can assume you're in.

Nope, not on dropdown list.

Anyway not too worried if I miss it this year as I will be racing London the week before but it would be a nice bonus to tick the Boston Box. If i get in I would intend just jogging around and enjoying myself.
    The dates really suit me as with work etc as I am off that week anyway, i was thinking I might make a holiday of it.

Application received, so as long as they except Limerick as an approved marathon, I'm in :D
    Already getting excited.

Registration is opening again on Monday so everybody who applied so far should be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

Woohoo. I'm in. Boston has been the dream for years. Really looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

would love to do an overseas marathon, unfortunetly don't have the time criteria yet. no chance without a good time.
    best of luck to all,

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

First time for me next year,got my confirmation email last night,had applied last Wednesday.looking at flights now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

You're all in for some experience. This event is epic (and that's coming from someone who ran a personal worst there!), and next year will be even more special.

The school bus ride to Hopkinton, waiting at the high school for the start, people BBQing and boozing in their front yards at 9am, the crowds on Heartbreak Hill, the crowds coming out of the baseball at Fenway Park, the crowds everywhere else, the left hand turn onto Boylston Street, the jacket….the Wellesley girls….. ;)

Wish I still had a BQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Peckham wrote: »
    ......Wish I still had a BQ!

I'm sure it won't be long in reappearing on your CV! ;)

Totally agree re: the whole Boston experience - Fenway; the buses; into Cheers bar downtown the day after - every punter also wearing the boston jacket.... Magic.

• Advertisement

Killerz wrote: »
    I'm sure it won't be long in reappearing on your CV! ;)

Totally agree re: the whole Boston experience - Fenway; the buses; into Cheers bar downtown the day after - every punter also wearing the boston jacket.... Magic.

Yeah just my official email. Boston baby. . Great race add others have said already. Next yr promises to be great. . Weather permitting ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭runsir

I'm in...happy days!! Going to give 2.50 a lash, winter training though..ouch! Not going to book flights just yet, AerLingus usually have a sale on in January.

Looking forward to going back.

The set up, the atmosphere, the course, the Wellesley girls, the Bikers, the noise, the smell of beer and BBQs, the people, being treated like a rock star - epic as Peckham says - Boston is magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

If you see a pending transaction from them are you in?
    €168 has been withdrawn from my ac...only reg this morning...or are they confirming cards are valid and refunding until they verify times...mine was from Boston last year...so no bother for them there

Last chance for entries.

Those with Boston Qualifying times, entries close at 10pm our time this evening. 5,000 places were unfilled on Monday last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Last chance for entries.

Those with Boston Qualifying times, entries close at 10pm our time this evening. 5,000 places were unfilled on Monday last.

Will be tough getting a spot;

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/7500-more-submit-boston-marathon-entries

ecoli wrote: »
    http://www.runnersworld.com/races/baa-urges-boston-marathon-entrants-to-register-this-week
    7,500 on Monday but only 400 on Tuesday so if that continued to the end of the week it would be sub-10,000 for 5,000 places, 2 to 1 odds, better than London:).

Only an hour to go;).

In my case BQ-3min - here's hoping

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/baa-urges-boston-marathon-entrants-to-register-this-week
    7,500 on Monday but only 400 on Tuesday so if that continued to the end of the week it would be sub-10,000 for 5,000 places, 2 to 1 odds, better than London:).

Only an hour to go;).

In my case BQ-3min - here's hoping

Pretty sure they rank them in terms of how far under BQ once they have all entries in. If they only get 10k entries for 5k places you should be good with BQ-3min...

I put my entry in last Friday for BQ - 5+minutes and still awaiting confirmation email.....

menoscemo wrote: »
    Pretty sure they rank them in terms of how far under BQ once they have all entries in. If they only get 10k entries for 5k places you should be good with BQ-3min...

I put my entry in last Friday for BQ - 5+minutes and still awaiting confirmation email.....
    Do you not have a friend......a la London....for this?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

menoscemo wrote: »

So, so tempted, Boston was always my goal and have -4.5 mins but got London GFA so sticking with that.
    Now just have to shake off whatever the f is wrong with me* and get fit for London instead.

* overtraining I think!

Advertisement