Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

neilc wrote: »
    So, so tempted, Boston was always my goal and have -4.5 mins but got London GFA so sticking with that.
    Now just have to shake off whatever the f is wrong with me* and get fit for London instead.

* overtraining I think!

Do both!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do both!!!

:) if only!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Got my confirmation email today, so now its time to start thinking about the sub 3 :D
    Main concern is the start, haven't ran it in years, anyone who may have done it recently have any input to how the wave starts work, is it easy enough to get going or will the first couple of miles be at 8-9mins pace :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Got my confirmation email today, so now its time to start thinking about the sub 3 :D
    Main concern is the start, haven't ran it in years, anyone who may have done it recently have any input to how the wave starts work, is it easy enough to get going or will the first couple of miles be at 8-9mins pace :eek:

There's 3 waves and each wave has c. 10 corrals. You get your wave/corral assigned based on your qualifying time - you can update this if you run quicker in the meantime.

I got Wave 1 Corral 6 with a 3:06 qualifier last year. I will probably be a couple of corrals further up with a 3:00 qualifier this time. I think Wave 2 started with c. 3:25 qualifiers.

It was a bit congested in the 1st 2 or 3 miles but most were moving at a reasonable clip - I was about 30 secs off sub 3 pace after 2 miles but was bang on at the 5k mark so you shouldn't be held up unreasonably.

Cresting Heartbreak Hill I would have loved those 30 secs back though cause at that point I was 30 secs behind sub 3 target!

There's 3 waves and each wave has c. 10 corrals. You get your wave/corral assigned based on your qualifying time - you can update this if you run quicker in the meantime.

I got Wave 1 Corral 6 with a 3:06 qualifier last year. I will probably be a couple of corrals further up with a 3:00 qualifier this time. I think Wave 2 started with c. 3:25 qualifiers.

It was a bit congested in the 1st 2 or 3 miles but most were moving at a reasonable clip - I was about 30 secs off sub 3 pace after 2 miles but was bang on at the 5k mark so you shouldn't be held up unreasonably.

Cresting Heartbreak Hill I would have loved those 30 secs back though cause at that point I was 30 secs behind sub 3 target!

I better start doing my MP runs at 6:40 pace then ;), thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Speedy44 wrote: »

Hey Speedy,
    I did it last year and was injured going into it so had no aspirations of sub 3, I was way back in wave 3 corral 7 (charity waiver)...about 25,000 deep...so my first 3 miles were real slow but still managed about 7:40 pace for the 3...glad of it though as i got going then and clipped away passing thousands on the way to Boylston St.....problem was then at Mile 14 i met the tail end of wave 2....had to weave through them for a mile or so and then at mile 24 i met the stragglers from wave 1....got through them then to sail home in 3:08:07...easiest marathon i ever did...the first half is the handiest half you will ever do but the hills of Newton await in the second....I am awaiting confirmation of my entry, but as i only have -1:53 to play with, i would imagine i am threading a fine line...depending on who you talk to !
    Fingers and everything else crossed.

Sosa wrote: »
    Hey Speedy,
    I did it last year and was injured going into it so had no aspirations of sub 3, I was way back in wave 3 corral 7 (charity waiver)...about 25,000 deep...so my first 3 miles were real slow but still managed about 7:40 pace for the 3...glad of it though as i got going then and clipped away passing thousands on the way to Boylston St.....problem was then at Mile 14 i met the tail end of wave 2....had to weave through them for a mile or so and then at mile 24 i met the stragglers from wave 1....got through them then to sail home in 3:08:07...easiest marathon i ever did...the first half is the handiest half you will ever do but the hills of Newton await in the second....I am awaiting confirmation of my entry, but as i only have -1:53 to play with, i would imagine i am threading a fine line...depending on who you talk to !
    Fingers and everything else crossed.

Hey Sosa,
    Cheers for the info buddy, I would imagine you'll be in as well, and this time be ready for the sub 3, although you have done it before haven't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

The waiting is nearly over.......from the BAA website
    Notification will be sent to all runners who submitted an application on Wednesday, September 25, 2013, indicating acceptance or non-acceptance.

slowsteady wrote: »
    The waiting is nearly over.......from the BAA website

Jeez I still haven't heard anything and I submitted my application 10 days ago :rolleyes:
    I guess in my case I am in pending verification though....

In short anyone who ran 1:38 or more faster than your BQ time are in...congrats to all who got in and for those who missed out, i feel your pain...i really didnt think i would squeeze in but i did...w/15s to spare
    Round 2...ding ding ! YES

Notification to applicants begins Wednesday, September 25
    BOSTON – The Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.) today continued its notification to applicants of their acceptance into the 2014 Boston Marathon®. In preparation for the 2014 Boston Marathon, the B.A.A. implemented the same registration process for Qualified Runners as it used in the 2012 and 2013 Marathons, allowing the fastest qualifiers to register first. The 118th Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 21, 2014 and will mark the 29th consecutive year that the event will have John Hancock Financial Services as its principal sponsor.
    Registration for runners who met the B.A.A.’s Qualifying Standards for the 2014 Boston Marathon began on Monday, September 9 at 10:00 a.m. ET using a “rolling admission” schedule and continued through Saturday, September 14 at 10:00 p.m. ET. Registration re-opened on Monday, September 16 at 10:00 a.m. and application submissions were received through Friday, September 20 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
    • 25,654 applications were received during the two weeks of registration (September 9, 2013 through September 20, 2013).
    • 22,679 applicants have been accepted or are in the process of being accepted, pending verification of their qualifying performance (17,229 from Week One; 5,450 from Week Two).
    • Details of the B.A.A.’s two-week registration process for Qualifiers can be found on the following web page:
      http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/athlete-registration/registration-information.aspx
    • 2,976 applicants were unable to be accepted due to the large number of eligible qualifiers who submitted an application for entry combined with field size limitations.
    • During Week One, when the fastest of all Qualifiers submitted their application for entry:
      4,484 Qualifiers accepted met their qualifying time by 20 minutes, 00 seconds or faster;
      6,866 Qualifiers accepted met their qualifying time by 10 minutes, 00 seconds or faster;
      5,879 Qualifiers accepted met their qualifying time by 05 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
    • From Week Two, 5,450 Qualifiers were accepted. These were Qualifiers who were one minute, 38 seconds or faster than the Qualifying time for their age group and gender.
    • An additional 5,625 runners who were 2013 Boston Marathon starters who reached the half marathon checkpoint or later but did not have the opportunity to cross the finish line on Boylston Street on April 15 were invited to participate in the 2014 race, some of whom were qualified. Of those runners, 4,615 registered for 2014, 1,649 of whom were Qualifiers.
    • In addition, 402 Qualifiers who have an active streak of ten or more consecutive Boston Marathon completions also entered during a pre-registration period in August and have been accepted.
    Those who submitted a verified qualifying performance that was one minute, 38 seconds (1:38) or more under the qualifying standard for their age and gender have been accepted into the race. Qualifying performances for the 2014 Boston Marathon must have been run between September 22, 2012 and September 20, 2013. Notices via email to those accepted will be issued by the B.A.A. beginning today.
    The names of those runners who have been accepted will be posted on the “Entrants” page of the B.A.A.’s web site: http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/entrants.aspx
    Some of those entrants who ultimately will be accepted will not be notified of their acceptance or have their name appear because validation of qualifying performances is ongoing. The amount of time to verify the performance of qualifiers can vary from race to race.
    2014 Boston Marathon: Men’s Qualifying Standards and Accepted Times

AGE GROUPSTANDARD ELIGIBLE TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION QUALIFICATION TIMES ACCEPTED FASTER THAN AND INCLUDING 18-34 3hrs 05min 00sec 3hrs 03min 22sec 35-39 3hrs 10min 00sec 3hrs 08min 22sec 40-44 3hrs 15min 00sec 3hrs 13min 22sec 45-49 3hrs 25min 00sec 3hrs 23min 22sec 50-54 3hrs 30min 00sec 3hrs 28min 22sec 55-59 3hrs 40min 00sec 3hrs 38min 22sec 60-64 3hrs 55min 00sec 3hrs 53min 22sec 65-69 4hrs 10min 00sec 4hrs 08min 22sec 70-74 4hrs 25min 00sec 4hrs 23min 22sec 75-79 4hrs 40min 00sec 4hrs 38min 22sec 80 and over 4hrs 55min 00sec 4hrs 53min 22sec 2014 Boston Marathon: Women’s Qualifying Standards and Accepted Times

AGE GROUPSTANDARD ELIGIBLE TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION QUALIFICATION TIMES ACCEPTED FASTER THAN AND INCLUDING 18-34 3hrs 35min 00sec 3hrs 33min 22sec 35-39 3hrs 40min 00sec 3hrs 38min 22sec 40-44 3hrs 45min 00sec 3hrs 43min 22sec 45-49 3hrs 55min 00sec 3hrs 53min 22sec 50-54 4hrs 00min 00sec 3hrs 58min 22sec 55-59 4hrs 10min 00sec 4hrs 08min 22sec 60-64 4hrs 25min 00sec 4hrs 23min 22sec 65-69 4hrs 40min 00sec 4hrs 38min 22sec 70-74 4hrs 55min 00sec 4hrs 53min 22sec 75-79 5hrs 10min 00sec 5hrs 08min 22sec 80 and over 5hrs 25min 00sec 5hrs 23min 22sec “While 2013 has been challenging, we appreciate and acknowledge the outpouring of support which we have received and to which we have been witness,” said Tom Grilk, B.A.A. Executive Director. “For 2014 and with a larger field size, we wanted to achieve the correct balance among the field of participants by accepting as many qualifiers as possible, accommodating those who were prevented from crossing the finish line in 2013, and recognizing some who were directly involved in 2013. While we would like to accept all qualified runners, field size limits are in place to ensure the best possible experience for all runners in the field. We will next address the allocation of remaining slots in as fair a fashion as we can across people and groups who are or represent those most affected by the events of April 15.”
    Notices to those who submitted an application for entry but who were not accepted were also issued today.
    In cooperation with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the eight cities and towns along the Boston Marathon route, the B.A.A. has set the field size for the 2014 Boston Marathon at 36,000 official entrants. At least seventy percent of the field will be comprised of athletes who have met the qualifying standards. The balance will consist of invitational entrants,many of whom run for local charitable organizations. Since 1989, between the B.A.A.’s Official Charity Program and principal sponsor John Hancock Financial’s Non-Profit Bib Program for the Boston Marathon, more than $170 million has been raised for charity.
    Qualifying performances achieved on or after Saturday, September 14, 2013 will be valid for 2015 Boston Marathon registration. The registration dates for that year’s race have not yet been established.
    MEDIA, for further information, please contact:
    Jack Fleming, B.A.A. Director of Marketing & Communications
    (office: 617-778-1627; fleming@baa.org)
    Marc Davis, B.A.A. Communications Manager
    (office: 617-778-1633; mobile: 703-439-0751; mdavis@baa.org)

• Advertisement

Jeez I still haven't heard anything and I submitted my application 10 days ago :rolleyes:
    I guess in my case I am in pending verification though....

Finally confirmed on the start list after a 4 week wait.
    It's gonna be a London-Boston double for me this spring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Congrats! I'm in too, a long wait indeed. Can't wait to do Boston again

I've actually been looking out for your name. That's great.
    You used Portumna as your qualifier? That's an AIMS race?
    I'm surprised it took them so long.

I've actually been looking out for your name. That's great.
    You used Portumna as your qualifier? That's an AIMS race?
    I'm surprised it took them so long.

Nah, I got Brianderunner to legally change his name by deed poll to my name to allow me to run. Must have took a while for the paperwork to be verified ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Greedy. I don't know what to do with my 3:04 from Berlin as both of these are full :(

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Congrats....finally.

But now you have a problem, which is the A race?

slowsteady wrote: »
    Congrats....finally.

But now you have a problem, which is the A race?

London for time and Boston for fun.

London for time and Boston for fun.

I did boston last year for fun and it was that in spades, i was not fit enough to tackle a time,had missed 6 weeks with the dreaded PF...but took in the sights along the way...still coasted home in 3:08 which surprised me a bit...your in for some treat...ill be there myself again,can't wait !

I highly recommend the 'boston for fun' strategy. Its a great spot to spend a weekend and have a beer or two,take in the baseball at fenway, and not fuss too much over achieving a goal time. Looking forward to next year already, more than 6 months to go though!

Booked the flights for Boston yesterday, 21 weeks left, time to get serious wink.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I'm in. I've been holding off "going public" due to my string of marathon DNSs... but with only 21 weeks to go I have to commit. So (finally) I will run this damn race ! Not sure how the dodgy ligament will handle the hills - but hey what the worst than can happen .. right ?

15 weeks from today...2 runs in the last 3 weeks is not the best start to a marathon plan but slow steady for a couple of weeks and then ramp up...can't wait for Easter Monday !
    How's everyones training going?

15 weeks from today...2 runs in the last 3 weeks is not the best start to a marathon plan but slow steady for a couple of weeks and then ramp up...can't wait for Easter Monday !

Looking forward to it already Sosa :D
    Training going ok, following Danials 24wk program, 6 week base didn't go as well as I would have hoped, but then again I suppose I had a decent enough base going into it. Started doing some tempo's and intervals now, so far so good.

Now that we're in 2014 it certainly feels that bit closer. Can't wait, just booked tickets for the baseball the day before, a nice build up to the main event. Training (focused on Donadea at present) is going well, but its unlikely I'll try pb at Boston anyhow.

Started the club 16 week plan last week so week 1 done. Normally I'd just do a 12 week plan but I'm also in for Donadea 50k so need a bit in the bank for that.

Please God we all stay healthy through the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

I'm ramping up at the moment ~35 miles per week with the long run out to 15 miles or so.

Will start the program proper in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Killerz wrote: »
    Now that we're in 2014 it certainly feels that bit closer. Can't wait, just booked tickets for the baseball the day before, a nice build up to the main event. Training (focused on Donadea at present) is going well, but its unlikely I'll try pb at Boston anyhow.

Baseball...hmm sounds like a plan. Plenty of pretzels available to look after the Carb loading as well.

im gonna throw it out there as well lads re. accomodation.

I have booked a double/twin room in downtown. Wife not travelling so if anyone doesnt have accomodation booked I would be delighted to share and split the costs. I have the room booked for Sat/Sun/Monday nights.
    Character references from some nice folks on these forums available if required!!!! :)

PM me if you want info.

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    im gonna throw it out there as well lads re. accomodation.

I have booked a double/twin room in downtown. Wife not travelling so if anyone doesnt have accomodation booked I would be delighted to share and split the costs. I have the room booked for Sat/Sun/Monday nights.
    Character references from some nice folks on these forums available if required!!!! :)

PM me if you want info.

I booked my accomodation and flights through Sportstravel; we are staying at The Wyndham (beacon Hill). Otherwise I would have taken you up on that.
    Training going grand. 2 x 20 milers in the bag already and a nice block of 60, 65, 72 mpw in the last 3 weeks.
    I am training for London though (like Killerz doing Donadea 50k in feb too) so Boston will just be a fun social Marathon. Looking forward to the beers afterwards (is it too early to start organising pubs yet :P). I'll likely be up for beers the nights before the marathon too ;)

• Advertisement

Boston will just be a fun social Marathon. Looking forward to the beers afterwards (is it too early to start organising pubs yet :P). I'll likely be up for beers the nights before the marathon too ;)

Good man yourself. Im not planning on racing this either, just want to enjoy this one. I am declaring myself available for pints!:)

Advertisement