Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

I'm in for Boston also and really looking forward to my second crack at the course.

Most enjoyable marathon I have done so far and wanted to mark marathon no. 10 by going back.
    Trainings been derailed a bit by injury so far but hit the Curragh this morning at 9 to try out a sore knee.

8 miles in horizontal rain, gale force wind, freezing cold, mud, pools of water, slipping all over even in spikes and sheep crap all over the place ................really enjoyed it:).

Knee held up for most part also.

Roll on April 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

3 weeks of P&D plan done. Back up to 50 miles a week. Did the first 20 of this training cycle on Sat. That was an eye opener to where I'm at.

Second Boston. Really want to enjoy it this time. But conflicted about wanting to conquer the course also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Jaysus, alot of you are way ahead of me at the minute...some with 20's in the bag already...nowhere near that...longest run in a month has been 10m and that was over 3 weeks ago...
    I was hoping to break 60 minutes again up in dungarvan in 3 weeks but will do well to break 62 with the shape im in but i am doing ballycotton for the first time this year so will be targetting a good effort up there.
    Really looking forward to it...last year was epic stuff, support was unbelieveable all the way round and this year will be cranked up a few notches i'd say.
    Going to purchase a 12 week Boston custom training plan from mcmillan running...as Boston is an unusual up and down course i am going to give this a go.$99....am i mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Sosa wrote: »
    Going to purchase a 12 week Boston custom training plan from mcmillan running...as Boston is an unusual up and down course i am going to give this a go.$99....am i mad?

Maybe just a little mad ;) its a lot of bobs...
    There are plenty of running nuts on here with Boston experience who would be only too delighted to put a programme together for you! I could name names but maybe let them come forward instead......

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭runsir

In for Boston myself. 3rd marathon and using my 2012 DCM time.
    Into 2nd week of 16 week plan, a nice 12 this morning in the dark at 6am. I've a 9 mile with 4 of it at tempo pace on Thursday and then hope to run the Raheny parkrun in 18ish on Saturday in the middle of a 15.

I heard the 5 loop in the Phoenix park is good for Boston training, running it in reverse every 2nd loop during a 15/20 miler?
    Going to give half marathons in Carlingford on March 1st and Balbriggan on March 17th a go too.

Count me in for pints the Monday night in Boston, going to get smashed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Currently injured for the last month but cross training. Hope to back next week. Not panicking yet. Ran Boston in 2012, great race.

It's been said before re Boston its the downhills that matter and I found these videos helpful. $100 for a training programme is madness to me when there is lots of resources out there for free...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKnPepyV80A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRcPjH4jigg (long but worth listening re sessions recommended to do)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Just to add, the point of downhill reps in training fortnightly. 2nd video lad highlights this and others have in the past here.

The Park loop from Upper Glen rd, Kyber and Miltary rd are more than enough for what's ahead in terms of gradients and use in reps or long runs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

In second week of P&D plan but at very much the lower end of expectations, modest endurance base coming in so will see how we go for the next couple of months.

Question for Sosa, as an experienced Boston hand, how does the ring road section from the Cork Road roundabout down to the Tramore Road compare to the Newton Hills? Any good as a training ground for the up/down nature of that section?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

First long run yesterday, 17mls in 2:01:51.
    Faster than I had planned for an 'easy' run, large group of us out.
    Last 8mls at 6:55 pace, good for the confidence moving forward.

Also first 70mile week under the belt now.

Re the Newton Hills, they are not too bad at all, they are more long drags and not all that steep. The problem of course is when they hit you, at 18mls, and go up & down for almost 4mls.
    So if you have got carried away on the downhill sections (not to mention the screaming girls at Wellsley!) before this, then you may pay the price.

Good going speedy44. You are are a few weeks ahead of schedule of me by looks. of it.

Did 15 in the Phoenix park on Monday along the Irish Runners 5 mile course, did the course, ran it in reverse and then again. Was mindful not to get carried away with the pace and take it handy, came in at 1.53.

Will be doing a brutal 18 miler next Saturday morning down West, already dreading it! haha

• Advertisement

slowsteady wrote: »
    In second week of P&D plan but at very much the lower end of expectations, modest endurance base coming in so will see how we go for the next couple of months.

Question for Sosa, as an experienced Boston hand, how does the ring road section from the Cork Road roundabout down to the Tramore Road compare to the Newton Hills? Any good as a training ground for the up/down nature of that section?

Yeah, those two hills would work well, like what speedy posts below, the hills are not that steep, just long drags and its where they are on the course.
    There are 5 hills from 16m to the top of heartbreak hill at 21m...then its a freefall the next 2m or so and then rolling a bit to the finish.
    I have an excel sheet at home that i got somehwere with info on the hills,where they are,distance,gradient,drop after hill to next hill and how long that distance is...very useful...ill post it up tomorrow.

Have 2 x 12min tempo + 1hr on the cards tomorrow.
    In an effort to get ready for the Newton Hills,specifically running down them and not getting carried away, I am going to do this over some hills locally.

Here is the elevation for the Newton Hills;
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/345677977

Details of newton hills as promised

9 weeks from tomorrow :eek:

Now that we're in single digits, my training is falling apart.
    2 weeks ago had a stomach bug and missed 4 days, took me another 4-5 days before I felt halfway decent again.
    Then was almost floored by a branch off a tree trying to do a session on Wednesday and had to abort. Tried it again on Thursday and slipped going around a bend and may have broken my hand! This led to me missing Friday as a precaution. Did 8mls easy yesterday morning.
    Had planned to race today but instead I am going to do 20mls easy.
    Got 20mls in last week as well, have also done an 18.5mls easy run, 17mls @ 7:05 pace, and 8mls at mp.

I seem to recall Sosa saying that he had less than ideal preparation last year and did ok, so hopefully al is not lost yet :rolleyes:

How's everyone else coming along?

Sosa wrote: »
    Details of newton hills as promised

Do you have your splits from the hills last year Sosa?

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Do you have your splits from the hills last year Sosa?

Nah, they would not be much use to you any way speedy, i didnt race last year after missing a lot of training in the lead up, i ran splits of 1:34 and 1:34 so i was not under pressure going up the hills tbh, they are not that steep, its where they are and the length of them...i think 2 miles of solid climbing in the space of 5m between 16-21 is tough.
    Hows training going? Im going better now, low mileage but a nice bit of quality, ill ramp up gradually and hope that im in sub3 shape by Easter Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

This is a bit old, but contains good info on Boston including a per mile pace factor: http://www.nhbungalow.com/Boston%20Marathon%20Pacing%20%26%20Info.xls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

9 weeks from tomorrow :eek:

Now that we're in single digits, my training is falling apart.
    2 weeks ago had a stomach bug and missed 4 days, took me another 4-5 days before I felt halfway decent again.
    Then was almost floored by a branch off a tree trying to do a session on Wednesday and had to abort. Tried it again on Thursday and slipped going around a bend and may have broken my hand! This led to me missing Friday as a precaution. Did 8mls easy yesterday morning.
    Had planned to race today but instead I am going to do 20mls easy.
    Got 20mls in last week as well, have also done an 18.5mls easy run, 17mls @ 7:05 pace, and 8mls at mp.

I seem to recall Sosa saying that he had less than ideal preparation last year and did ok, so hopefully al is not lost yet :rolleyes:

How's everyone else coming along?

Sorry to hear you're having a few issues, but no doubt it will all come good. Plenty of time to go yet... Get all that bad luck out of the way now!

As for my prep, with Donadea now in the rear view mirror (although my legs won't let me forget in a hurry), I am now starting to look forward to Boston. Plan is to take the next week off completely and then build up slowly again for Boston. Won't be racing it as a goal race, target is tbc, but likely to be 3:15-3:30, but I have no issues if I don't make that bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    This is a bit old, but contains good info on Boston including a per mile pace factor: http://www.nhbungalow.com/Boston%20Marathon%20Pacing%20%26%20Info.xls

That's some amount of analysis there but it's lacking an input for weather conditions :pac:

What surprised me about the course last year was the rolling nature - I kind of expected downhill other than the Newton Hills but there's plenty of ups and downs other than that. Even when you crest Heartbreak Hill you go down for a couple of hundred metres before having to climb again for a couple of hundred metres - that broke my heart!

First proper week of training rounded off with a 21 miler yesterday - time to start being less cautious with the niggles I think otherwise I'll have no training done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

What surprised me about the course last year was the rolling nature - I kind of expected downhill other than the Newton Hills but there's plenty of ups and downs other than that. !

Would agree with that, had a roller coaster feel to the first 10 miles as far as I recall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That's some amount of analysis there but it's lacking an input for weather conditions :pac:

Q. Is Krusty going?
    A. No

Weather be grand!

I have no concrete figures but for me last year felt i was either going up or down...not a whole lot of flat in there, at a guess i would say 20% at most.
    @speedy....just get yourself to the start line...the crowd and support is unreal, best by far i have experienced...they will get you home once you dont charge out of the blocks.
    I had a shocking training block and still managed 3:08 easily...even spilts of 1:34...best thing happened to me was i was in wave 3 corral 6 or 7...basically 25k deep...i was forced into three really slow first miles...all around 7:40...got going then when i got through the crowd, thankfully i was not racing so i didnt get bothered by it...what a day out though...cant wait for 9 weeks...7 weeks training left though when you take out the 2 week taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

RAL3 wrote: »
    I'm in for Boston also and really looking forward to my second crack at the course.

Most enjoyable marathon I have done so far and wanted to mark marathon no. 10 by going back.
    Trainings been derailed a bit by injury so far but hit the Curragh this morning at 9 to try out a sore knee.

8 miles in horizontal rain, gale force wind, freezing cold, mud, pools of water, slipping all over even in spikes and sheep crap all over the place ................really enjoyed it:).

Knee held up for most part also.

Roll on April 21st

Weeks flying by alright - I have had a fairly solid if unspectacular January, and February going ok so far also. Got 3rd 20 miler in last night and my mileage has been around the 50 - 60 mark since mid January.

Some good tips here as regards the race and heres my 5 cents worth;

Your marathon time is guaranteed to be helped by avoiding getting arrested by the local constabulary when having a pre race wee in the Hopkinton green areas........

Anyone else travelling with sports travel international tour on the Friday??

I booked tickets for the Red Sox on the Saturday in Fenway. Game starts at 1 and it's pretty close to where you collect your number so will get the number before I reckon.

Tipping along very nicely. Feel I'm in better shape now with 9 weeks to go than when I ran Dublin in 2.56 in 2012.

Some pretty nasty sessions done so far....managed a 21 on Saturday with 13 to 18 mile at 6.30 pace, was working but definitely not eye balls out.

Carlingford 1/2 on Saturday week, if get close to the 1.20, hope to give the 2.50 a shot in Boston.....weather allowing obviously! ha

runsir wrote: »

I booked tickets for the Red Sox on the Saturday in Fenway. Game starts at 1 and it's pretty close to where you collect your number so will get the number before I reckon.

Tipping along very nicely. Feel I'm in better shape now with 9 weeks to go than when I ran Dublin in 2.56 in 2012.

Some pretty nasty sessions done so far....managed a 21 on Saturday with 13 to 18 mile at 6.30 pace, was working but definitely not eye balls out.

Carlingford 1/2 on Saturday week, if get close to the 1.20, hope to give the 2.50 a shot in Boston.....weather allowing obviously! ha

Ill be going to the baseball Saturday also. I was to go last year on the Friday evening but it was lashing and they dont play baseball in the rain apparently ! Im also doing the 5k on the Saturday morning...anyone else?
    the expo is in the john hynes convention centre, half mile from fenway and less than that from the finish line...The prudential centre is right by the finish also...Boylston and Newbury streets are real nice places to stroll around.
    I've a head cold at the moment and 6*1k to do at 6pm tonight...so that should be interesting.

Heading over on the Wednesday before the race for a week. Wish now that I had taken a few extra days after the race instead.
    Training not going exactly as planned, but not too bad either. 1 x 20 in the bag, 2 x 18 & 1 x 17. Would like to have more tempo's behind me, but still time. Have done an 8ml MP run, will do 12 this Friday.

Kinvara 1/2 Marathon on March 1st and Nat. 10k on April 6th are the 2 races that I will be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

runsir wrote: »

I am yeah.
    Would love to grab a Baseball ticket too!!, How do i go about it?
    Haven't thought about Boston much with London coming up, but given that I am treating Boston as a 'celebration run' baseball and a few beers sounds like just the ticket for a Saturday afternoon!!

Heading over on the Wednesday before the race for a week. Wish now that I had taken a few extra days after the race instead.
    Training not going exactly as planned, but not too bad either. 1 x 20 in the bag, 2 x 18 & 1 x 17. Would like to have more tempo's behind me, but still time. Have done an 8ml MP run, will do 12 this Friday.

Kinvara 1/2 Marathon on March 1st and Nat. 10k on April 6th are the 2 races that I will be doing.

Similar enough long ones done too..18 x1, 20x2, 21x1......
    Planning another 22 this Saturday and another 18 on Sat 8th and 15th March. That'll be 7 long ones hopefully.
    Hope to do Balbriggan 10km on Paddys Day, Should be interesting after the 18 on the Saturday!

A lot of long runs done here. i have only 1*18 done last week, ill do another 2 of those and then 3*20's and then a 22 about 2 1/2 weeks out.
    I plan to race Ballycotton and Mallow on March 9th and 23rd, should break 60 minutes at mallow, ballycotton might come too early.
    I will also be racing a 6k munster novice road race and a local 5k 10 days out.
    The last 2 are short races so after my long runs are done they will keep me sharp ( hopefully ) and not take too much out of me and i should recover quickly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am yeah.
    Would love to grab a Baseball ticket too!!, How do i go about it?
    Haven't thought about Boston much with London coming up, but given that I am treating Boston as a 'celebration run' baseball and a few beers sounds like just the ticket for a Saturday afternoon!!

5 of us heading along for the game at Fenway on Sunday.
    I used ACE Ticket for tickets, StubHub also an option.

Advertisement