Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I went to the baseball on the Sunday last year - got tickets straight off redsox.com

Make sure to bring id if you want a beer because even if you look really old "it's Fenway Park policy sir". My mate was forced off the beer for a couple of hours at the game as a result - think it was the only time on Sunday he wasn't drinking!

First proper week of training rounded off with a 21 miler yesterday - time to start being less cautious with the niggles I think otherwise I'll have no training done!

So much for that :rolleyes:
    Running on a niggle last week meant I couldn't walk come Friday so it's tools down again for this week :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    5 of us heading along for the game at Fenway on Sunday.
    I used ACE Ticket for tickets, StubHub also an option.

Heading to the game with Mrs Killerz on Sunday too. First pitch is 5 past 7 I think, will keep the mind off the main event the next day I suppose.

Anyone know if theyre doing the pasta party thing the day before and the after party on the Monday night? They were both incl with the entry back in 2011, but I suspect there may be some differences this year due to number of entrants.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Stopping by from the tri forum to say I'll be at Boston as well. Did this last year, and I imagine this year will be pretty special. I'll be keeping tabs here for the post-race celebratory pints location!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭runsir

Lads...looking for a bit of advice here as to how to approach Boston. 7 weeks to go so still plenty of things can change but this is where I'm at...

Managed a half marathon there at the weekend in 1.16.24. Felt grand coming in like I had a loads in the tank. I've done 2 marathons before, 2011 dublin in 3.23 and 2012 dublin in 2.56. I had hoped to give sub 2.50 a shot in Boston. Is this target at bit soft now though?

I've only about 2 more long ones to go( 6 done), a 20 this Sat and maybe another 17-18 then. Going to race a 10KM on paddys day too...

I don't know to try and pace for a 2.45 or stick to original plan of 2.50....don't what to blow up because I hear 15-21 in Boston can destroy you in not pacing correctly.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

runsir wrote: »
    Lads...looking for a bit of advice here as to how to approach Boston. 7 weeks to go so still plenty of things can change but this is where I'm at...

Managed a half marathon there at the weekend in 1.16.24. Felt grand coming in like I had a loads in the tank. I've done 2 marathons before, 2011 dublin in 3.23 and 2012 dublin in 2.56. I had hoped to give sub 2.50 a shot in Boston. Is this target at bit soft now though?

I've only about 2 more long ones to go( 6 done), a 20 this Sat and maybe another 17-18 then. Going to race a 10KM on paddys day too...

I don't know to try and pace for a 2.45 or stick to original plan of 2.50....don't what to blow up because I hear 15-21 in Boston can destroy you in not pacing correctly.

Thanks

running a 76 min half with loads in the tank is a nice way to be, thats 5:50p and a sub 2:45 would be 6:17p...looks to me that sub 2:50 would be an easy target for you to achieve.
    Why not throw some miles in at 6:15 pace at the tail end of your last few long runs to get a feel for it, 7 weeks to go anyway so a decision is not required for a good while yet.

Sosa wrote: »
    running a 76 min half with loads in the tank is a nice way to be, thats 5:50p and a sub 2:45 would be 6:17p...looks to me that sub 2:50 would be an easy target for you to achieve.
    Why not throw some miles in at 6:15 pace at the tail end of your last few long runs to get a feel for it, 7 weeks to go anyway so a decision is not required for a good while yet.

Sound Sosa, I was thinking about doing the last 5 of the 20 at the weekend at race pace so I'll aim for 6.15 pace.
    I did miles 18-21 of a 22 miler 2 weeks ago at 6.12 pace and felt ok, working but not eyeballs out at the same time. The previous 18 miles were 7.30 average!
    Plenty of time as you said to get a feel it as you said!

Thanks again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The wave/corral and bib number info is out. You can check your starting pen here

According to FB, wave 1 is off at 10am, wave 2 at 10:25 and wave 3 @ 11am.

Wave 1 Corral 7 for me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    The wave/corral and bib number info is out. You can check your starting pen here

According to FB, wave 1 is off at 10am, wave 2 at 10:25 and wave 3 @ 11am.

Wave 1 Corral 7 for me.....

Are you going to make it around... ;)

Well I've been assigned 1/5 but I'm not gonna make it :(
    Been out for the last 3 weeks and even assuming I get back running next week it's gonna come too soon. I'd be a lot more gutted had I not already run Boston and I already have a qualifier for next year.

Gonna change family flights and cancel hotel this weekend so the temptation to ramp up the mileage too fast is reduced.

Enjoy it everybody!

• Advertisement

Fierce unlucky Paulie. Commiserations.

I'm in Wave 1/Corral 4......anyone know how roughly how many are in each corral?

I'm in Wave 1/Corral 4......anyone know how roughly how many are in each corral?

To answer my own question after I did a bit of research...1000 per corral....

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Wave 1/3 here. Looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Wave 1/3 here. Looking forward to it now

See you there :cool:

Now just to stick in a couple of long runs to get me around. Looks like i will be setting of early this Sunday morning on my lonesome ......poor me...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Wave 1 Corral 2 for me. Starting to look forward to it now after many weeks injured still hopeful of a good run but going to enjoy it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

can't seem to get my info yet for some reason :confused::eek:
    I have been getting all the emails though so I know I'm in .............

Speedy44 wrote: »
    can't seem to get my info yet for some reason :confused::eek:
    I have been getting all the emails though so I know I'm in .............

maybe they have a spelling mistake? You can check by country of residence and see all the Irish runner if that helps?

Edit, are your initials PF?? If so I think I found you there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

menoscemo wrote: »
    maybe they have a spelling mistake? You can check by country of residence and see all the Irish runner if that helps?

Edit, are your initials PF?? If so I think I found you there....

yes indeed they are ...............

Speedy44 wrote: »
    yes indeed they are ...............

Number 10606 wave 2 corral 2 I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    See you there :cool:

Now just to stick in a couple of long runs to get me around. Looks like i will be setting of early this Sunday morning on my lonesome ......poor me...

Yea sorry about that - we'll try set the next one for Sunday in 2 weeks time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

Wave 1 corral 3 also.

Getting near now. 21 miles with 16 at mp on Sun and Mallow race next week will tell me how I'm fixed.

great going Pat, I have been struck down with flu last 2 weeks, bad dose, no runing at all, did 5m yesterday and felt ok, did 15 this morning and nearly collpased ( slightly exaggerated ) , i have had better long runs.
    I hope to get 3-3.5 good weeks from monday and see what happens.
    Any aspirations of a time out the window now realistically, but you never know, if i feel strong the next 3 weeks anything could happen.
    I had to skip ballycotton and will be skipping mallow also as i couldnt manage 1*6:00m right now, never mind 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

Sosa wrote: »
    great going Pat, I have been struck down with flu last 2 weeks, bad dose, no runing at all, did 5m yesterday and felt ok, did 15 this morning and nearly collpased ( slightly exaggerated ) , i have had better long runs.
    I hope to get 3-3.5 good weeks from monday and see what happens.
    Any aspirations of a time out the window now realistically, but you never know, if i feel strong the next 3 weeks anything could happen.
    I had to skip ballycotton and will be skipping mallow also as i couldnt manage 1*6:00m right now, never mind 10.

That's unfortunate but a couple of weeks training will have you strong. But Boston will still be great even if not in top shape.

On the corrals I thought it interesting that with a qualifying time 3 mins quicker than last year my number is nearly the same. By my reckoning there are nearly 2000 registered with times under 2:50. A whole lot of speed!

purceninho wrote: »
    That's unfortunate but a couple of weeks training will have you strong. But Boston will still be great even if not in top shape.

On the corrals I thought it interesting that with a qualifying time 3 mins quicker than last year my number is nearly the same. By my reckoning there are nearly 2000 registered with times under 2:50. A whole lot of speed!

I am not worried about it, i was never going over there to run my best anyway after a poor winters training so i will see how i am and decide the week before i go, would like to break 3:05 if i can, that will get me into london next year but if i dont get that i may do Barcelona instead.
    On the corrals, there was huge interest this year, i only got in by 15s!

Same corral as me, though i may drop back a few as I've no intention of running that pace!

Killerz wrote: »
    Same corral as me, though i may drop back a few as I've no intention of running that pace!
    Don't.... I need a bus buddy for the way out...I heard those yellow school buses can be a tough place for a new kid like myself!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

wave 1 coral 4 for me too,looking forward to getting there now.Mallow 10 next week and ucc 10k the week after and I'll see what the goal will be then.

Don't.... I need a bus buddy for the way out...I heard those yellow school buses can be a tough place for a new kid like myself!:D

It's not the yellow school buses that are tough, it's the long lines for the loos after you get off the yellow school buses that are!! And the use of the wooded areas is frowned upon and are policed quite closely by local law enforcement.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    It's not the yellow school buses that are tough, it's the long lines for the loos after you get off the yellow school buses that are!! And the use of the wooded areas is frowned upon and are policed quite closely by local law enforcement.

Empty wide mouth Gatorade bottle, black bin liner ;) .... For dudes anyhow. That of course depends on whether we are allowed bring bottles with us....

• Advertisement

Killerz wrote: »
    Empty wide mouth Gatorade bottle, black bin liner ;) .... For dudes anyhow. That of course depends on whether we are allowed bring bottles with us....

Per the email BAA sent out, bottles must be one liter or smaller. What size is your bladder?? ;)

Advertisement