Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭runsir

3 weeks lads and lassies....:)

Everyone get the race pack last week?

The only thing I'm a bit hesitant about is the grub situation.

Aer Lingus plane food on the way over on the Friday isn't a great start and not sure of decent places to eat on the Saturday/Sunday....the burger and fries wouldn't be the best option prior to a marathon I reckon.

Anyone with experience of Boston food wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

runsir wrote: »

Aer Lingus plane food on the way over on the Friday isn't a great start and not sure of decent places to eat on the Saturday/Sunday....the burger and fries wouldn't be the best option prior to a marathon I reckon.

If flying with Aer Lingus I'd recommend pre-booking your meal in advance - much nicer grub than the standard fare.

FWIW I ate here the night before the race and they knocked up a pasta of my choice: http://www.marliave.com/home/
    but there is a gazillion places to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

No shortage of great places to eat in Boston, the north end is the Italian area of the city, can't go far wrong there.
    http://www.northendboston.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Got my pack there yesterday. Does anyone not want their pre race meal ticket? I'll buy an extra one if I need to, but if someone isn't using it.... I'm time stamped for 4:30 meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Killerz wrote: »
    Got my pack there yesterday. Does anyone not want their pre race meal ticket? I'll buy an extra one if I need to, but if someone isn't using it.... I'm time stamped for 4:30 meal.

I'm not using mine but its for 7pm though.. I remember seeing long queues to get into the place before and with extra security (bag checks, etc) this year..

• Advertisement

wideball wrote: »
    I'm not using mine but its for 7pm though.. I remember seeing long queues to get into the place before and with extra security (bag checks, etc) this year..

May well take u up on that ticket if I cant find another 430 one if that was ok, and try and change it at the expo.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

Hello all! Longtime lurker on this forum and Boards in general. Off to Boston this year too, although it looks like I'm the slowcoach of the gang - I'm back in 2/7, way behind all you speedy folk :)

Killerz, I have a 4:30 ticket and I'm pretty definitely not going to the pre race meal. I live in Finland though, so I guess you could pm me or something if you want me to mail it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Aarnikotka wrote: »
    , although it looks like I'm the slowcoach of the gang - I'm back in 2/7, way behind all you speedy folk :)
    Don't worry about that, try being in 3/2 like me, they will be up with the Wellesley girls before I get across the start line:P

slowsteady wrote: »
    Don't worry about that, try being in 3/2 like me, they will be up with the Wellesley girls before I get across the start line:P

Good impetus to run faster: think of all the fast people already enjoying their post-race showers and beers while you're still running :)
    Not that I've ever even tasted Samuel Adams lager...

May well take u up on that ticket if I cant find another 430 one if that was ok, and try and change it at the expo.

Send me a PM if you want it. I work in Dublin city centre if suits.

• Advertisement

They know how to set the scene well!

http://vimeo.com/90571041

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Gotta love them Yanks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Gotta love them Yanks ;)

But that would include Dr Quirky...??!
    ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Can't believe I'm having to skip this year :mad:
    All that USA USA stuff used to annoy me but after last year I became a USA USA evangelist meself.

You guys are in for a treat!

Bah! I'm not remotely given to such sentiment.

*Stifles sob. Blows nose*

I know its a bit early, but couldn't resist taking a peek. Have to say I'd be very happy if this holds true, sunny, 12c with a tailwind :D

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/boston-ma/02108/daily-weather-forecast/348735?day=18

Speedy44 wrote: »
    I know its a bit early, but couldn't resist taking a peek. Have to say I'd be very happy if this holds true, sunny, 12c with a tailwind :D

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/boston-ma/02108/daily-weather-forecast/348735?day=18

That is a great forecast alright, although as you say it is a bit early.

That tailwind was so good in 2011, all I had to do was sit back and let the wind do the rest! I needn't have bothered training! :P

Time to start thinking about the wardrobe - I wonder will I go for this outfit again:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/219863/156585.JPG

Hows the tapering going folks ?
    I managed to pick up some kind of a cold virus but I think I have shaken it off. Didn't miss too much, had planned a 10ml MP run last Sunday that I had to cut to 3mls, took 2 days off this week, but did 6mls today and some strides and felt pretty good.
    Good as in the cold was gone, not so good was the enormous blister starting to appear on the ball of my left foot :eek:
    Headed out and got a new pair of runners straight away, hopefully that and the new socks will do the trick.

10 day countdown is on ......................... :D

Bummer about your cold and blister Speedy, I'm sure it's just your body playing tricks on you during taper time; I've felt shin splints and all sorts of strange aches that were nonexistent before two weeks ago! Taper is going ok, since at least there's no snow/ice here anymore :)

And thanks for the 10 day countdown reminder. This is only my second marathon - jeez, I don't think I was nervous enough! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Spotted these jackets in an Adidas store today. Possibly this years jacket colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

blockic wrote: »
    Spotted these jackets in an Adidas store today. Possibly this years jacket colour

It is...full range here: http://www.adidas.com/us/boston-marathon/_/N-1z13ulu?cm_mmc=AdiSocialMedia_BAAorg-_-US_running-_-bannerunit-_-130217_baa&cm_mmca1=US

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

Taper going ok, tough few sessions last week but some extra sleep and foam rolling has me feeling strong again.

7 day countdown ....... :eek:

Travelling Friday with Aer Lingus so only four more sleeps till the journey begins.

For those still looking for inspiration (not sure I've linked this correctly)

I managed to pick up some kind of a cold virus but I think I have shaken it off. Didn't miss too much, had planned a 10ml MP run last Sunday that I had to cut to 3mls, took 2 days off this week, but did 6mls today and some strides and felt pretty good.
    Good as in the cold was gone, not so good was the enormous blister starting to appear on the ball of my left foot :eek:
    Headed out and got a new pair of runners straight away, hopefully that and the new socks will do the trick.

Atrocious....

Ran and 8KM race last Sunday week as last tune up race. Came home in 27.40, calf tightened up the last KM so eased off a little. Felt fine after.
    Took monday off and then went for a run and had to abandon after 4 miles.
    Calf v sore. Tore a nice few fibres along the inside( i'm a physiotherapist).
    Rested until Sunday and did every form of treatment under the Sun. Tried it again and could feel it so walked home after 3 miles.

Feeling better today and getting treatment later. Thinking about a jog Thursday morning to assess the situation.

Still going to run/hobble/walk if it blows on Monday but i think my 2.45 target is out the window! Disappointing but life will go on and I'll come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Atrocious....

Ran and 8KM race last Sunday week as last tune up race. Came home in 27.40, calf tightened up the last KM so eased off a little. Felt fine after.
    Took monday off and then went for a run and had to abandon after 4 miles.
    Calf v sore. Tore a nice few fibres along the inside( i'm a physiotherapist).
    Rested until Sunday and did every form of treatment under the Sun. Tried it again and could feel it so walked home after 3 miles.

Feeling better today and getting treatment later. Thinking about a jog Thursday morning to assess the situation.

Still going to run/hobble/walk if it blows on Monday but i think my 2.45 target is out the window! Disappointing but life will go on and I'll come back.

Was that the Belcarra run? I think I might have your name now so!
    I have had an atrocious week myself since that with tight hammies leading to sore knee. Hoping easy running will heal everything before Dusseldorf in two weeks...

belcarra wrote: »
    Was that the Belcarra run? I think I might have your name now so!
    I have had an atrocious week myself since that with tight hammies leading to sore knee. Hoping easy running will heal everything before Dusseldorf in two weeks...
    Yep, that's me!

Just a thought, but anyone interested in meeting up in Athletes Village? I'm planning on getting a bus out

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/~/media/Images/BAA/Races/Maps/Boston%20Marathon/start_area_2014.jpg

Dunno how to organise the logistics, but maybe grab a spot somewhere near one of the first aid areas and put down a marker of some sort? Maybe a batman mask :P

I'm in Wave 1, anyone else interested in meeting at corner of Boylston and Tremont to get a bus out there, let me know. Hoping to get the bus around 6:30, but happy to go earlier if that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Any plans out there for a location to sink a few pints later on? As a Wave 3 starter the rest of you should be well settled in by the time I get my carcass to the finish:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Good luck to all boardsies doing Boston, safe flights all and have a great time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck to all running this.
    Definitely on my bucket list.

Advertisement