Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Meno and Dory Dory are still running
    Don't think they're having the best of days...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

TRR wrote: »
    savage stuff by Meb. Nearly 39, runs rubbish in NYC. Boston wouldn't give him a contract to run a few years ago. Around the same time Nike drop him. Then today he runs a PB, first time under 2.09 to win. First US winner in over 30 years. Fairytale stuff. At 40K I had dead and buried. Thought he would be third.

was just thinking the same. Inspiring stuff for auld fellahs like me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Emer911 wrote: »
    Meno and Dory Dory are still running
    Don't think they're having the best of days...

Looks like Dory's injury didn't play ball. She s not giving up (as much as I am willing her look after the body first and foremost, too tough for her own good sometimes :D)

Meno looks like not over the affects of last week (and a transcontinental trip probably doesn't help that)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

ecoli wrote: »
    Definitely the top US marathoner of the last 10 years anyway. There is loads of hype around the likes of Ritz and Hall but Meb has two top 4 Olympic marathons and first US Boston winner in 30 years.

Definitely a guy who needs to get more recognition (Sketchers all the way :D)

Also has a previous NYC victory in the bag too. No argument really is there?

Meno through 40K in 3:39. The last 5k pace was 12:23/mi. :eek:
    I think maybe that bug from London is still there. Hope he's okay and can still finish! Only 2k left buddy!

Dory Dory is through 35k in 3:19. Her last 5k was at 10:53/mi.
    Looks like the injury/niggle has scuppered her plans. She was going okay up to 15k and has slowed way down since, though she seems to be maintaining the pace at this point.

• Advertisement

Meno finished - 3:55 and change. I'll bet he's glad that's over!

Dory Dory still has a few km's left to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

purceninho: 3:20 - Tough day at the office, must have picked up an injury or heat perhaps.

Killerz: 3:16 - A celebratory marathon for J to digest that appetizer from last night! ;)

Be interesting to hear the thoughts from them later.

Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

wideball home in 2:59:28. Looks to have struggled a bit in the second half, but that's what Boston is all about! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Appetizer: tough going

Main course: 26.2, enjoyed it a lot, maybe a little easier than getting thru the appetizer!

Dessert: bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Killerz wrote: »
    Appetizer: tough going

Main course: 26.2, enjoyed it a lot, maybe a little easier than getting thru the appetizer!

Dessert: bring it on!

Good running. Job done now go and enjoy your well deserved dessert!

• Advertisement

And Dory Dory finished in 4:08

Hope she's okay and hasn't done any serious damage!

Well done to everyone out there today.
    The womens race was savage - a seriously talented group of runners there - and Meb did really well holding out to storm home in the end. Great entertainment and all very emotional.
    Well done Boston!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

And RAL3 in 3.52.

Cracking stuff by them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Firstly I would like to state that I think qualifying times are a major reason why this marathon is so great.

Given that there is such a high standard created by these restrictions you would questions how many finishers are outside the given qualification times for their gender/age groups?
    Are there stats for this available ? Percentage of finishers inside the qualification times broken down by age/gender?

Well done to Meb, won two major marathons on home soil and hopefully now he is given the credit as he has backed up his NY win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Firstly I would like to state that I think qualifying times are a major reason why this marathon is so great.

Given that there is such a high standard created by these restrictions you would questions how many finishers are outside the given qualification times for their gender/age groups?
    Are there stats for this available ? Percentage of finishers inside the qualification times broken down by age/gender?

Well done to Meb, won two major marathons on home soil and hopefully now he is given the credit as he has backed up his NY win.

Charity places that are only open to US charities. Many don't run close to their PB in Boston as its a hard race to run with the downhills. Also there is many courses that are Boston qualifiers that are not flat but net downhill. Maybe 10k of the places are qualifiers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just catching up on the thread!! Some craic!! I couldn't have gone through half way any easier was really holding back, then around 15 the energy just left my body, my only thought was finishing!! Just tried to keep compus mentus and get to the finish, ended up walking more of the last 10 miles than running. Still really enjoyed the event and don't actually think I could have run a second faster. Combination of heat and battered quads I think, those downhills are unforgiving.
    Similar story for everyone I have met so far though I take the record with a 35 minute positive split!! Purecino was gunning for sub 2:50 and came in over 3:20. Anyway off to the pub now to drown out sorrows!!!

By the way the tour group are all heading to the kinsale pub up by city hall

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

As far as I remember approx. 40 to 50% of finishers at Boston re-qualify. In a normal field size year that 10 to 12 thousand. The course is tough and unique - in my reckoning maybe 2 mins for a 3hr marathon.

Well done everybody today - the 2nd half in Boston can chew you up but today it seems to have bitten quite a few - including those that conquered it last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

With forecast temperatures was never aiming for a time. Went out with my name on my shirt - Sean in Boston - spent most of the race like the Queen, waving left and right, had a ball. Running well to 19 miles when heat finally caught up with me, 5 minutes in medical tent and off again. Calves and quads made sure the rest of the race was a procession - a royal one waving left and right - unreal, it was like you were a rock star. Brilliant brilliant day, 3:52, could have been much worse but on the day it really didn't matter a ****. Beers......

menoscemo wrote: »
    Similar story for everyone I have met so far though I take the record with a 35 minute positive split!!

Edit!! One of the lads just came in with a 44 minute +ve split!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

Had a great day :) I suffered a lot in the second half - the heat nearly killed me after training through the winter up north and all the downhills turned my legs to burning jelly. I came in at 3:27 on the nose, which is a pb of 43 seconds, but beat my bib by the best part of seven thousand (I'm shamefully pleased about that). I have attractive sunburns on one side of my body only :pac:

But anyway, after all that work, I think it's time to re-toxify my liver :P

Congratulations to everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

Tough day at the office indeed. Cooked at 7 miles, splitsjust got slower and slower. Was it heat, lack of fight from me, combination of both - don't know. Selfishly reassuring that most I spoke to had similar tales of woe.

Still what an amazing day on the streets of Boston. An epic occasion. An honour and privilege to be part of. A city and people reclaiming its streets and marathon. Special.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Peckham wrote: »
    wideball home in 2:59:28. Looks to have struggled a bit in the second half, but that's what Boston is all about! :rolleyes:
    Tough day but v happy with a watch time of 2:59:28. Very warm in the end. Legs weren't the best all day but very happy with a disciplined run to get the sub 3. Missed months of running training so sub 3 was the plan. Was relatively comfortable for it until the 3km which a bit of death march, shed a load of time but happy out. Great support and cant recommend this race enough though i.ve scratched my itcth. Well done too all. My head is going to hurt more than legs tomorrow whicj is saying something..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Itziger wrote: »
    Kentucky Pete held on for 2.59.14. What a guy!

Any chance "Kentucky Pete" is Martin? As a guy, called Martin, I used to work with many years ago ran a 2.59.14 yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

viperlogic wrote: »
    Any chance "Kentucky Pete" is Martin? As a guy, called Martin, I used to work with many years ago ran a 2.59.14 yesterday
    Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

2:56:26 for me yesterday. Was very warm out there, shoulders roasted and throwing water on calves and head at nearly every stop from 9 miles. 15 second pb for me So well happy.great day and top class race but by god it's not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Was hoping to finish around 3 2x but ended up with3 52 with a 30 min positive split.

Fantastic atmosphere and support but heat killed me. Starting in wave 3 didn't help with an 11am start at which point it was already quite warm.
    At mile 10 it was obvious it was going to be tough to keep the pace below 8 min miles and I finally had to stop for walking breaks from 15 onwards.
    Very tough last few miles, threw up at 23 and only managed to be able to hold down some fluids 3 hrs after finish.

But what a day, supporters, volunteers at start and finish we're fantastic.
    After I finished and was feeling & looking the worse for wear, a lady on the other side of the barrier called me over and gave me a hug!! Fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    By the way the tour group are all heading to the kinsale pub up by city hall

Who carried you home this time? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Who carried you home this time? ;)

Something like this I'd imagine...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

rom wrote: »

Yup. Saw this as well. Class tactics from the boys (not a huge Ryan Hall fan btw) alls fair - the East Africans have been bossing the big marathons for years.

Advertisement