Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg - Anyone recommend some resources or help a complete novice?

• 06-05-2013 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Let me start by saying I’m a complete gardening novice but I would like to grow a small amount of veg (for fun / for the kids).

We have very wet, stony, ‘limey’ soil and have recommended to build some raised beds (railway sleepers?) and get in some top soil. I’m thinking cabbage, peas, spring onions etc. I love to cook so would use herbs etc a lot. I would also love to grow some peppers, courgettes, lettuce, cucumber etc – do I need some form of glasshouse? Lidl or Aldi had a free standing plastic one recently – any good?

Space isn’t an issue but I don’t want to spend a fortune.

Am I too late to plant anything / where do I start?

Any help or guidance (except don’t do it, you idiot :-) is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CiaraS27

You're probably well on your way by now, but check out http://www.giyinternational.org/ for good tips and friendly people to give you advice. There may also be a giy group near you that you could join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

If you're starting out, I'd recommended giving the ground you have a shot first.
    Have a raised bed as well if you fancy it, maybe compare results. The latter can be relatively expensive.

Try growing what you actually eat, rather than what's been recommended.

Those Lidaldi greenhouses are ok so long as you don't have a windy site.

You're not too late to start. There's been a late spring this year so you can easlily add three or four weeks to planting times.

Don't spend too much time online. For most seeds/plants the best advice is on the packet/label.

This site is very good:
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/

As is this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grow-Your-Own-Vegetables-Larkcom/dp/071121963X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367916079&sr=1-1&keywords=grow+your+own+vegetables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

CiaraS27 wrote: »
    You're probably well on your way by now, but check out http://www.giyinternational.org/ for good tips and friendly people to give you advice. There may also be a giy group near you that you could join.

Thank you - I actually havent started at all so I appreciate this.

If you're starting out, I'd recommended giving the ground you have a shot first.
    Have a raised bed as well if you fancy it, maybe compare results. The latter can be relatively expensive.

Try growing what you actually eat, rather than what's been recommended.

Those Lidaldi greenhouses are ok so long as you don't have a windy site.

You're not too late to start. There's been a late spring this year so you can easlily add three or four weeks to planting times.

Don't spend too much time online. For most seeds/plants the best advice is on the packet/label.

This site is very good:
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/

As is this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grow-Your-Own-Vegetables-Larkcom/dp/071121963X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367916079&sr=1-1&keywords=grow+your+own+vegetables

Thank you - my site is quite windy but I was hoping to pin it to the side of my garage somehow, its a very sunny spot for most of the day.

I will give it a shot - cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Hi
    Easy stuff to get the kids started are lettuce, tomatos and peas.
    tescos and homebase do these cheap kits to get you started
    from €1.59
    You start them on a window sill for example
    Homebase also do a cheap raised bed for kids from about €12 euro
    You can also buy kids packets of seeds.
    Also look for the posts on here for the free seed growing project for kids.

Things like lettuce dont grow deep so you wont need a very deep raised bed plus you can grow a them and a lot of things in pots

Cabbages are easy but they are harder to look after as they attract a lot of pests like cabbage flies

oh and carrots are dead easy but you will need fairly deep soil unless you get the little short ones

A lot of garden centres also do free "how to" courses plus check out the botanical gardens, national garden exhibition centre

Bloom will be here june bank holiday - good day out for you and the kids, free stuff like seeds and demos etc

Oh and raspberry canes will grow just about anywhere

the kids will love the garden, good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

oakshade wrote: »
    Hi all,

Let me start by saying I’m a complete gardening novice but I would like to grow a small amount of veg (for fun / for the kids).

We have very wet, stony, ‘limey’ soil and have recommended to build some raised beds (railway sleepers?) and get in some top soil. I’m thinking cabbage, peas, spring onions etc. I love to cook so would use herbs etc a lot. I would also love to grow some peppers, courgettes, lettuce, cucumber etc – do I need some form of glasshouse? Lidl or Aldi had a free standing plastic one recently – any good?

Space isn’t an issue but I don’t want to spend a fortune.

Am I too late to plant anything / where do I start?

Any help or guidance (except don’t do it, you idiot :-) is appreciated.
    Am in Limerick and would offer you any advice and help needed. Pm me if you would like assistance.:p I have been growing veg and gardening for many years and am now semi retired but still love the garden. Sean:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

railway sleepers have chemicals in them

get few books in library

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1161.html

shawnee wrote: »
    Am in Limerick and would offer you any advice and help needed. Pm me if you would like assistance.:p I have been growing veg and gardening for many years and am now semi retired but still love the garden. Sean:p

Thanks a million, really appreciate that. Will def be in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Peas, peas and more peas. Nice and easy to grow, fresh from the pods they can be eaten like snacks and kids from 2 to 52 love them. Beetroot and turnips too, I know, but when eaten young they are completely different from the stuff in the shops.

Take it easy in year 1, get the hang of it and once your confidence is up become more adventurous.

Advertisement