Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any vets open Bank holiday Mon?

• 06-05-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Guys, my cat just returned, looks like she could have a broken foot, its cut up pretty bad and swollen anyways. Need to get her to a vet today, is there any open?

I am in D12 but anywhere in south Dublin really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I think most vet clinics have an emergency facility - with my local clinic they have an answering machine setup with the phone number of the vet on call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

A lot of them seem to route it through to UCD emergency clinic. Fees are crazy high, ah well, has to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our vet is open - anicare.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Guys, my cat just returned, looks like she could have a broken foot, its cut up pretty bad and swollen anyways. Need to get her to a vet today, is there any open?

I am in D12 but anywhere in south Dublin really.

Could you leave a voicemail on your normal vets answering machine? I have left voicemails on my vet (Terenure vets on Whitehall road) and they always ring me back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

But if the practice is closed today there's no vet there - the message wouldn't be picked up until all the staff are back tomorrow morning.

Best thing to do is get the mobile number off their answering machine message and ring the vet on call. Don't worry, they won't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

boomerang wrote: »
    But if the practice is closed today there's no vet there - the message wouldn't be picked up until all the staff are back tomorrow morning.

Best thing to do is get the mobile number off their answering machine message and ring the vet on call. Don't worry, they won't mind.

My vet lives on the premises and told me to leave a message instead of going to Ucd as he has to check on the animals who need to stay in. He is amazing and has left emergency prescriptions (propalin) on his porch for we when I ran out and Ucd didn't carry it and told me to put a nappy on my dog!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Ah okay, most vets wouldn't live on the premises, though. This weekend in our practice there is no one there (no inpatients) and the vet on call is only reachable by the mobile number left on the answering machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

boomerang wrote: »
    if the practice is closed today there's no vet there - the message wouldn't be picked up until all the staff are back tomorrow morning.

Isn't there a facility where you can pick up messages remotely? Most VM systems do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Well we, like many others I assume, cant afford the UCD fees so the little trooper is going to have to wait for the blue cross tomorrow.

The back paw is huge and there is some blood, I have no idea what happened. Must have got it caught somewhere but she is lying on the bed and doesnt look in too much discomfort unless she tries to walk. And funnily, that didnt stop her trying to scale a wall earlier before I grabbed her!

Is there anything advisable to do in the meantime? I was considering dipping the leg in a warm, salty jar of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd try to keep puss off her paws as much as possible until you get to the Blue Cross tomorrow. As I'm sure you know, the more she's on it the more likely the paw is to swell further. If there isn't much blood and she'd let you, I'd put a cold compress/ice pack wrapped in a tea towel on the paw for 5 minutes to try to reduce the swelling. Hope all works out well it's always a worry waiting for the vet and cats are so good at hiding pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Clean off the blood with lukewarm salty water and look for any wounds, put a cold pack on it if she will let you to help take down swelling!

Pumpkinseeds got there before me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

How did puss get on at the Blue Cross today? Hope its nothing too serious.

Advertisement