Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claddagh houses - is the price premium justified?

Options
  • 06-05-2013 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking on the web at a few houses in Galway, as I might have to buy one next year.

I spotted Fr. Burke road in Claddagh, a 3-bed mid-terrace, asking 185k, see here:
    3-bed mid-terrace
    80 sqm approx
    One previous owner (long-term)
    Just one photo - old style interiors

I also saw Connolly terrace in Bohermore, a similar house in some ways:
    3-bed end-of-terrace
    Needs renovation
    Asking 85k

Yet the Bohermore house is asking 100k less that the Claddagh house.

Ok, the Claddagh is close to beach, sea, Salthill, also close to city centre and uni / hosp.

Is the 100k extra justified??

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Having lived very close to both properties, my answer is yes.

Location, location, location.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fr. Burke road is a quiet, secure, residential, low traffic, mostly long term lettings or privately owned houses street right in the middle of town. The other place is on/beside the main road, in a fairly rough, loud area.

I know where I'd rather live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mr.donkey

Lived on Fr Burke road for a few years, price premium for the area definitely justified

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've been watching that Bohermore house for a while (in case I get unexpectedly rich!).
    I'd make a rough guess about the states of the interior being similar, and say that if anything is overpriced, it's the Bohermore one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

There could be the guts of 50k needed to renovate the Bohermore property.

Also, the Claddagh can't really be beaten location-wise. In town and on the prom. Best of both.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Can anyone tell me why that Bohermore house would be considered a 'rough' area?

I can see how more at the back of Bohermore would be rougher but that house is end of terrace and right on the road. You'd have road noise but nothing a little triple glazing couldn't solve.

I think that house is competitively priced for that proximity to town, anyone know something I don't?

Not planning on buying it, just wondering for future house-hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Imo, Claddagh is a lovely area but Bohermore isn't particularly bad (although it's "rougher" than Claddagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can anyone tell me why that Bohermore house would be considered a 'rough' area?

I suspect that it's historical, more than current.

There are some properties in that terrace that look lovely (from the outside anyway). But there's one that a council derelict property notice(*) put on it a few months back. And the front yards are a shape/surface which suggest they could be used for certain types of vehicles ... not that I've ever seen one there in recent times. If ya get my drift.

(*) can't remember the exact name ... something to do with legal notification that the place is in such bad repair that the the council are insisting that the owners do something about it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

And the front yards are a shape/surface which suggest they could be used for certain types of vehicles ... not that I've ever seen one there in recent times. If ya get my drift.

;) Say no more, gotcha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

look on property register to see what houses sold

in the summer there will be a hugh buy to let properties being taken back by the bank

30,000 can be taken

http://www.myhome.ie/priceregister/8-cuirt-an-dolain-fairhill-claddagh-co-galway-11235

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

in the summer there will be a hugh buy to let properties being taken back by the bank

30,000 can be taken

Can and will are two different things. Not too mant buy to let houses in the Claddagh either (Whitestrand Pk excepted)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

30,000 can be taken
    That's not going to happen:
    a) The legislation to fix the Dunne judgement will reset the clock. Any repossessions as a result are more likely to happen next summer than this one.
    b) Even when they do start happening it's questionable what the impact will be in Galway. Rents here have been buoyant throughout the crash so it's likely that fewer buy to lets will be in trouble here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Any location with sea views costs more (in general)
    right next to town, Southpark etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Spectacular views of the sewage treatment plant, within a stone's throw of the former town dump etc..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

As sewage treatment plants go, it's quite pretty. :)

I loved living in Claddagh. So much so, that I still have fond memories of it in spite of living in a chalet that had more mice than your average grain store and was covered in black mold. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

The Claddagh is lovely and all and the location is superb but €185k still seems very expensive for what is a very ordinary house. You'd be looking at another €100k to make it as you'd want it and 15k in various fees so you're up on 300k.

There are other great locations around the town that seem kinda forgotten about where you'll find far better value like Highfield pk or Whitestrand pk (both pretty close to town and salthill) or Daingan hghts (not near salthill but the river and pitches are just down the lane). You see houses in places like these come up from time to time, bigger and not in such need of repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,480 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Claddagh is a superb location.

Unless there's a freak flood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Geuze wrote: »

Yet the Bohermore house is asking 100k less that the Claddagh house.

Ok, the Claddagh is close to beach, sea, Salthill, also close to city centre and uni / hosp.

Is the 100k extra justified??

Buyers dictate the market,

if someone is willing to fork out 185 for the Claddagh in contrast to 85 for Bohermore then,

......yes you could call the extra 100k justified.

Advertisement