Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If we look back on today's society in 50 years time...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

double post (sorry bout that, )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

AEDIC wrote: »
    erm.... just wow.

Laws are reformed and changed by due process, particularly ones that are 'not right'. Where have I said that laws that have been changed should have stayed as they were?

If you want the law on Selling alcohol on a Good Friday changed...become a politician, stand for government and make this your main policy and then go through the due process to have it changed once you recieve the correct support to do so.... thats due process.

Or support and vote for one that wants it changed.

Erm...isn't this what you wrote?
    Well....sort of but not really... it's about the law (which may or may not be driven by religion). The law says you cant be sold alcohol on Good Friday, regardless of your religion so thats that.

If you are going to pick and choose which laws you stand by and which you dont then where will that leave us?

Your opinion is that we shouldn't be allowed to buy drink on Good Friday, not because of your own personal religious reasons or because of some other logic (based on your post anyway - maybe you have other points why you feel the law should stand), but because the law is the law so "that's that".

The whole "picking and choosing" which laws we stand by is kinda my point - we do pick and choose which laws are outdated and stupid. We don't just stay complacent and say "oh the laws the law, that's that" without questioning its reason or logic.

I don't particularly care about not being able to buy drink on Good Friday. I don't want to drink just because it's Good Friday to fúck religion. But if I fancy drinking that night I'll just make sure I'm well stocked up. With the state the country is in, I think it would be a waste of money and efforts to change the law, but if there was a movement or referendum (lol) for it, I would support it. Because there's no logical reason for the law to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Probably the way gay people are still treated by some sections of society. But that will still be around. Racism hasn't exactly disappeared.

The right of people who are terminally ill to end their lives with dignity and respect.

The fact that people pay attention to faith healers/priests/bull**** artists.

The way people think it's somehow acceptable to use dehumanising words like "retard" for people that are mentally handicapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

That we ever let the RCC within a million miles of our children, and that we didn't kick them out of the schools and the hospitals sooner

That we didn't do enough to protect the environment (irreversible climate change and all that fun stuff)

That we didn't drastically rewrite the Constitution sooner

Yes. We're really going to regret this one and unfortunately, it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

1ZRed wrote: »
    Exactly. I'm not religious therefore why should I have to go along with whatever they believe and have it forced on me when I don't want anything to do with them?

Everyone should have a choice to drink and those who are religious can simply not do it. That's a win/win situation.

It's not being petty and just wanting to drink, it's the principal behind it and how stupid it is to have one religion's beliefs forced on everyone.

Countering that with "it's so sad that people can't stay off the drink for 1 day a year" is nonsense and is not an argument for it. There's actually no argument for keeping good Friday's rediculous drink ban so it should be abolished. Let the religious mind their own business and let them choose to drink or not instead of deciding for all of us that we shouldn't.
    If enough people kick up a fuss and want to have Good Friday as a normal day, then it'll also be bye bye to Christmas Day and St Patrick's day :( It's funny at Christmas because people don't worry about not being able to buy alcohol on that day but stock up enough food to survive a zombie apocolyapse :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Dogs will be extinct and people will rejoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alright

I think due to the internet and the amount of information that's available out there society will have
    changed a lot in 2060. It's always difficult looking back at history and not judging it by todays
    standards.

People born after 2040 or so will look back and be amazed at how free and uncensored the internet was,
    how quaint and barbaric medicine was, and how slow our processors were.
    Now will be seen as the time when people started to care about the environment but not enough and
    not fast enough. Our time will be seen as a wasteful/inefficient time. The amount of natural resources that are wasted
    these days is crazy.

People will say things like...if we only had of got our fair share from the oil and gas companies off
    our coasts...or from the foreign owned mines under the old coillte lands...this country would be a different place.
    (I'm hoping that I'm wrong about this though!)

History will be judge us on: how we treated our citizens vs the banks/financial institutions, gay people and other minorities,
    the abortion issue, the church scandles, education and health reforms, and the modernisation of our state.

People will look back and be amazed at how little a pint of Guinness cost and that we complained that it was
    not available for sale 24hours a day 365 days a year :-)

Well that was cheery o_O

In the future I'll all the same but different.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Erm...isn't this what you wrote?

Your opinion is that we shouldn't be allowed to buy drink on Good Friday, not because of your own personal religious reasons or because of some other logic (based on your post anyway - maybe you have other points why you feel the law should stand), but because the law is the law so "that's that".

The whole "picking and choosing" which laws we stand by is kinda my point - we do pick and choose which laws are outdated and stupid. We don't just stay complacent and say "oh the laws the law, that's that" without questioning its reason or logic.

I don't particularly care about not being able to buy drink on Good Friday. I don't want to drink just because it's Good Friday to fúck religion. But if I fancy drinking that night I'll just make sure I'm well stocked up. With the state the country is in, I think it would be a waste of money and efforts to change the law, but if there was a movement or referendum (lol) for it, I would support it. Because there's no logical reason for the law to exist.

People that pick and choose which laws/legislation they abide by then face the full consequences of their actions....so whats your point.? It is still the law/legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If the Government have such a hard on for Good Friday and this being a Catholic country, it should be a Public Holiday. Otherwise it's just bollocks.

It is a public holiday, isn't it? Or at least it used to be when I lived in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

There's going to be a hell of a lot of boardsies on the wrong side of history, that's for sure.

And it may not necessarily be the ones you think it'd be now. The one predictable aspect of history is that it is fundamentally unpredictable.

In 50 years time I hope
    a) to be alive, well and compos mentis (though I suspect not)
    b) that when we're looking back to now, we aren't doing so from deep underground an irradiated, meteorological disaster zone while robot death squads patrol the surface looking for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

1. Stopping a couple that are in love from marrying.
    2. Telling us when we can and can't buy alcohol.
    3. Priests and bishops, who were elected by nobody, having a say in anything.
    4. People getting called slutty for hooking up at a petrol station.

What other stupid things exist in this country that are somewhat hard to believe?

Interesting thread, but these things haven't changed a huge amount in the last 50 years, so don't expect a huge transformaton.

1. Stopping a couple in love from marrying?
    Not sure what you mean, gays? people+animals? incest? having multiple wives/husbands?
    In any case, I doubt we'll see drastic changes in 50 years, seeing as we've only seen minimal changes in the previous 50..

2. Certain times for buying alcohol.
    I agree this is a bit stupid, and infringes on people's freedom, but hasn't changed much in 50 years, and change doesn't seem to be on the agenda for the foreseeable future.
    It does give bars an excuse to throw people at a certain time I guess, before things get chaotic.

3. Priests and Bishops having a say. Of course they should have a say, as should anybody else. It's best to hear all views on a topic, helps us make better informed decisions. Nobody forces you to agree with them.

4. People called slutty. I think this will be the same, sexual disease is on ther rise so it may be even more frowned upon in 50 years, who knows?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It is a public holiday, isn't it? Or at least it used to be when I lived in Ireland.

Nope. Hasn't been as long as I've known it.

More info for ya here on it:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Exactly. I'm not religious therefore why should I have to go along with whatever they believe and have it forced on me when I don't want anything to do with them?

Everyone should have a choice to drink and those who are religious can simply not do it. That's a win/win situation.

It's not being petty and just wanting to drink, it's the principal behind it and how stupid it is to have one religion's beliefs forced on everyone.

Countering that with "it's so sad that people can't stay off the drink for 1 day a year" is nonsense and is not an argument for it. There's actually no argument for keeping good Friday's rediculous drink ban so it should be abolished. Let the religious mind their own business and let them choose to drink or not instead of deciding for all of us that we shouldn't.

Yet if I tarred all homosexuals or whoever with a similar sweeping statement there'd be uproar.
    This idea that the religious amongst us actually agree with all the rulings and practices of the RCC pisses me off no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I suspect things will be much worse than they are now. And we'll be looking back at the good old days, before the automated state. In 2060, all our actions and words are monitored by tagging devices. Prisons are abolished and 'criminals' are incarcerated at home. Their Sky and broadband is turned off their windows blocked out.

Since all the new taxes introduced since 2013 means that anyone that earns less than 100,000 punts per annum has no money left for food, the government takes all wages at source, 75% is paid to the EU who kicked us out in 2015 and the remainder is shared between the people as food tokens.

No one argues about not being able to buy drink on Good Friday anymore since no one can afford it since escalations in minmum pricing meant a can of Dutch Gold cost 1000 punts and all off licences and most bars went out of business in 2020. The only place you can buy alcohol is in the Dail bar where it's still 2.50 a pint and or one of the state licensed bars owned by an MP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Yet if I tarred all homosexuals or whoever with a similar sweeping statement there'd be uproar.
    This idea that the religious amongst us actually agree with all the rulings and practices of the RCC pisses me off no end.

How is it similar in any way?? We are a secular country which church and state should be separate, so of course they should be told to mind their own business and keep their views within their own church, not in the law! They have zero right to dictate any law.

There would only be uproar because homosexuals want civil rights devoid of any religious ties, telling them to mind their own business isn't the same thing at all because we actually have a right to seek equality in the eyes of the state, I don't care if we didn't in the eyes of religion, that's the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

How is it similar in any way?? We are a secular country which church and state should be separate, so of course they should be told to mind their own business and keep their views within their own church, not in the law! They have zero right to dictate any law.

There would only be uproar because homosexuals want civil rights devoid of any religious ties, telling them to mind their own business isn't the same thing at all because we actually have a right to seek equality in the eyes of the state, I don't care if we didn't in the eyes of religion, that's the difference.
    I agree with all of that, no problem whatsoever.

Let the religious mind their own business and let them choose to drink or not instead of deciding for all of us that we shouldn't.

I can see now from your second post you meant the religious hierarchy, not every member in the country. I'll put my gun away now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The answers you seek are all here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

People that pick and choose which laws/legislation they abide by then face the full consequences of their actions....so whats your point.? It is still the law/legislation.

What is your point? You can't not abide by the law for Good Friday, seeing as it's not up to me if I can buy drink or not on that day - I simply won't be allowed :confused:

Advertisement