Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could an Eircom Rep please explain .....

Options
  • 06-05-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭

why when expressing an interest in e-fibre there is a requirement to provide a mobile number for contact, else the form will not be accepted?

This in spite of providing an account number and land-line number for existing Eircom broadband ADSL.

I am not seeking any help on this matter .......  all I want is some explanation why an Eircom landline number and account number as well as name, address etc are unacceptable.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

why when expressing an interest in e-fibre there is a requirement to provide a mobile number for contact, else the form will not be accepted?

This in spite of providing an account number and land-line number for existing Eircom broadband ADSL.

I am not seeking any help on this matter .......  all I want is some explanation why an Eircom landline number and account number as well as name, address etc are unacceptable.

Thank you.
    I think the fast fibre will be given to everyone with a line, so maybe they assume the only people wondering about it are people without a line.  They told people about it near where i live and we still do not have it.   I think there wont be fibre into your house but when it very close like out on the street the copper wires can handle the short trip to your house at very fast speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

eh... to contact you when it becomes available in your area. Most people don't sit by their home telephones so if your unreachable from that avenue, they will con

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thank you.

Hi Johnboy1951

Apologies for the inconvenience, this is just for an alternative contact number If indeed we need to contact you about your interest in fibre broadband.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi Johnboy1951

Apologies for the inconvenience, this is just for an alternative contact number If indeed we need to contact you about your interest in fibre broadband.

Regards

Al
    Hi Al,
                I could understand if it was an alternative means of contact ......  but it is not ......  it is a necessary part of the form, and the form will not be accepted without a mobile number.

That is what I am questioning .........  especially considering the fact that a land line number has already been entered and also an Eircom account number and email address.

So Eircom have several options for making contact, yet insist on a mobile phone number.

This, IMO, is nonsensical .....  but I am quite prepared to change my mind if a valid reason can be suggested.

Your suggestion above is hardly a reasonable answer considering the scope of the information supplied elsewhere in the form.

Please do try filling out the form, after declaring yourself to be an Eircom existing customer, and see what your results are like without a mobile number.
    Maybe I failed to tick some box or other?

regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Al,
    I could understand if it was an alternative means of contact ...... but it is not ...... it is a necessary part of the form, and the form will not be accepted without a mobile number.

That is what I am questioning ......... especially considering the fact that a land line number has already been entered and also an Eircom account number and email address.

So Eircom have several options for making contact, yet insist on a mobile phone number.

This, IMO, is nonsensical ..... but I am quite prepared to change my mind if a valid reason can be suggested.

Your suggestion above is hardly a reasonable answer considering the scope of the information supplied elsewhere in the form.

Please do try filling out the form, after declaring yourself to be an Eircom existing customer, and see what your results are like without a mobile number.
    Maybe I failed to tick some box or other?

regards.

Hi Johnboy1951

At this moment in time a mobile number is required in accordance to procedure. A mobile contact number is the most effective method of contact however I understand your point and I've passed your feedback to operations.

Regards

Al

• Advertisement

Hi Johnboy1951

At this moment in time a mobile number is required in accordance to procedure. A mobile contact number is the most effective method of contact however I understand your point and I've passed your feedback to operations.

Regards

Al
    Hi Al, the computer says no thing means employees are undervalued.  This should have been tested and correctly implemented by staff.  Obviously this is not being done!  It is wrong you should have to explain this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi Johnboy1951

Regards

Al
    Yes Al, that is the point I have been making ...  a mobile number is a requirement!
    It is only an effective device if one posses one (and is at liberty to divulge the number)!

Lots of us have no need for personal mobile phones ...  or the costs involved ......  especially when we are obliged to pay Eircom for a landline in order to get broadband!

I certainly have no requirement for both phone types, although I do have access to a mobile if I have a need.

Telling me it is a requirement is not an explanation ....  I have already pointed out it is a requirement and that is what I am questioning.

So I am awaiting an explanation from Eircom as to why there should be such a requirement .....   an option I could understand ......  a requirement ????

Some explanation would be appreciated ........  even if it is "we messed up" .....  at least it would be something!

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Yes Al, that is the point I have been making ...  a mobile number is a requirement!
    It is only an effective device if one posses one (and is at liberty to divulge the number)!

Some explanation would be appreciated ........  even if it is "we messed up" .....  at least it would be something!

regards.

The explanation is this, and it's simple - BECAUSE THEY CAN. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Corporations like this love to collect data. The more the merrier. They want the MAX data on every customer and on every possible potential customer. And when there is ANY form to filled out ... it is the perfect opportunity to ask for everything and anything they can ask for to achieve their goal of collecting more and more and more data.

Nothing sinister or evil. And the poor techs on this and other helplines have no role in it. It's just what they do ..  as in the story of the scorpion and the tortoise.

It's like when you make any enquiry in a shop or company now ... they ask for your mobile, your email .. etc etc.  even when it isn't needed. It is SHOCKING how many people cough up without a though in their head. I may be a member of the awkward squad but I always say no. It's amusing to watch the look on the staff member's face .... they are clearly rarely ever, if ever, refused. 

I just put in 086 1234567 and on I go.

Piliger wrote: »
    The explanation is this, and it's simple - BECAUSE THEY CAN. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Corporations like this love to collect data. The more the merrier. They want the MAX data on every customer and on every possible potential customer. And when there is ANY form to filled out ... it is the perfect opportunity to ask for everything and anything they can ask for to achieve their goal of collecting more and more and more data.

Nothing sinister or evil. And the poor techs on this and other helplines have no role in it. It's just what they do ..  as in the story of the scorpion and the tortoise.

It's like when you make any enquiry in a shop or company now ... they ask for your mobile, your email .. etc etc.  even when it isn't needed. It is SHOCKING how many people cough up without a though in their head. I may be a member of the awkward squad but I always say no. It's amusing to watch the look on the staff member's face .... they are clearly rarely ever, if ever, refused. 

I just put in 086 1234567 and on I great 
    great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

psalbmb wrote: »
    eh... to contact you when it becomes available in your area. Most people don't sit by their home telephones so if your unreachable from that avenue, they will con

Some off us prefer landline as we have little or signal for mobile. I too gave up registering my interest when it insisted on a mobile number, as my mobile is no use to me at home - where I am 75% of the time.. It's a nonsensical compulsory field for customers of their very landline business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement