Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could some Irish speakers provide me with a translation of this sentence please?

• 06-05-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

How do you say in Irish:

"The legalization of divorce is seen as a symbol of freedom"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Breathnaítear (feictear) ar dlisteanú an cholscaradh mar shiombail de shaoirse.

Wait for other answers or corrections to above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Breathnaítear (feictear) ar dlisteanú an cholscaradh mar shiombail de shaoirse.

Wait for other answers or corrections to above.

I would leave out the "de", it makes it unnatural to me.

Breathnaítear (feictear) ar dlisteanú an cholscaradh mar shiombail saoirse.

Also, ar lenites most things (some exceptions). D isn't one of them. It should be "ar dhlisteanú".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Gumbi wrote: »
    I would leave out the "de", it makes it unnatural to me.

Breathnaítear (feictear) ar dlisteanú an cholscaradh mar shiombail saoirse.

Also, ar lenites most things (some exceptions). D isn't one of them. It should be "ar dhlisteanú".

I reckon colscaradh should be in the ginideach uatha as well, so:

Breathnaítear ar dhlisteanú colscartha mar shiombail saoirse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I reckon colscaradh should be in the ginideach uatha as well, so:

Breathnaítear ar dhlisteanú colscartha mar shiombail saoirse.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

What about

'Feictear gur siombail shaoirse dlisteanú colscartha'?

I think saoirse here might get lenited due to genitive relation to siombail, the fact that it comes after feminine noun and because of the consan caol. Bit rusty these days on lenition rules though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭deirdremf

pog it wrote: »
    What about

'Feictear gur siombail shaoirse dlisteanú colscartha'?

I think saoirse here might get lenited due to genitive relation to siombail, the fact that it comes after feminine noun and because of the consan caol. Bit rusty these days on lenition rules though!
    I think we're getting somewhere now. Of course, the original phrase is fairly stilted, so it is difficult to say it in anything like normal Irish.
    However, I'd make a couple of small changes to your good translation:
    'Feictear gur siombail den saoirse é dlisteanú an cholscartha'
    It seems to me that the article is used in this way much more in Irish than in English.
    Also I've put in "é" in the middle to break up the list of nouns - that sort of thing feels very unnatural to me.
    That said, we'll need a native speaker to actually make those calls.

Advertisement