Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Spaying - Dogs Aid

• 06-05-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all, have to get my doggie neutered, he is male and medium size, I have been told that Dogs Aid do a subsidised service for € 50 has anyone used them and how did you and more importantly your dog get on?

It seems very cheap compared to the the €170 + that I have been quoted by other vets, my own vet is €200 ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

I have never heard of Dogs Aid doing subsidised neutering,but Dogs Trust give out a certain amount of vouchers to Vets,so that people on Social Welfare can have their dog neutered/spayed for €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mama3

Hi Kukey,
    Thanks for the reply, that's great for those on social welfare, unfortunately I don't have social welfare of any kind as we both work but are struggling (like most of the country) so a saving of €150 for neutering would be a great help, but just would feel more peace of mind if I knew of anyone that had been there and done that iykwim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I cant imagine a rescue having the resources to subsidised neutering especially for dogs that arent adopted from them. Well apart from the Dogs trust scheme for those on certain benefits which has already mentioned. On the plus side you have a male dog so can wait a bit longer and save up for the procedure and males are cheaper than females to do. Some vets will allow for an instalment payment so perhaps you could discuss this with your vet and see if they will agree. At least its a once off cost .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's Dogs Trust you mean OP. They offer a spay/neuter service for E25 for those on Welfare. There's only a certain amount of vouchers handed out to certain vets, and they're done at the beginning of the year.

Have you tried Blue Cross? They often have programmes where neutering can be done for a reduced price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Have you tried Blue Cross? They often have programmes where neutering can be done for a reduced price.

I'm not sure if op is getting mixed up at all actually! Dogs Aid run a Blue Cross/subsidised clinic in Ballymun, I'd imagine their neuters are a lot cheaper than your average vet. These clinics are meant for people who are genuinely finding at hard to make ends meet, but not restricted to those on benefits. I think, anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

DBB wrote: »
    I'm not sure if op is getting mixed up at all actually! Dogs Aid run a Blue Cross/subsidised clinic in Ballymun, I'd imagine their neuters are a lot cheaper than your average vet. These clinics are meant for people who are genuinely finding at hard to make ends meet, but not restricted to those on benefits. I think, anyway!

Apparently you need to produce a social welfare receipt to get anything done. I don't know how true it is, but that is what I was told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Whispered wrote: »
    Apparently you need to produce a social welfare receipt to get anything done. I don't know how true it is, but that is what I was told.

Sounds about right. The Blue Cross in the UK insist on proof of benefits before they'll treat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Whispered wrote: »

Okay, allow me to clarify what I said above, now that I've spoken to the Dog's Aid vet!
    Dog's Aid run a clinic on Tuesday evenings from 6 to 7pm on Balbutcher (sp?) Lane in Ballymun, this is NOT a Blue Cross Clinic: Blue Cross is an entirely separate organisation to this. So, that's me told :P
    The Dog's Aid clinic is open to anyone, but aimed at those who are just finding it hard to make ends meet, but you do not have to provide any "evidence" of this, it is done on a sort of honesty basis. Vet treatment is not free via this route, but it is heavily subsidised.
    They DO do subsidised neutering OP, and I am going to PM you now with some specifics. As you can imagine, there's a bit of a waiting list. It is not as cheap as Dogs Trust, but pretty damn cheap all the same.
    I hope this clarifies! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mama3

Thank you all for the replies, and yes ABajaninCork it was Dogs Aid that I meant, tbh I knew that they did it and that it is cheaper but just wanted to hear from someone that had knowledge of the service, but I will definitely ring and make an appointment now, one half of me hopes the wait isn't to long the other more nervous half hopes it is ages away :\

Thank you DBB :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

+1 for what DBB said.

Dogs Aid run a subsidised clinic on Tuesdays. There is a waiting list for the neutering as they only open on a Tuesday so can only do a limited number of operations. The clinic is open to all but aimed at those who are finding things tough financially. They've run the clinic there for 20 years and no-one is ever turned away, the amount asked is only to cover expenses, there is no profit made and any shortfall in cost is made up by the charity and covered by fundraising, so if you can afford to give a little more than what's asked for it goes towards those who genuinely can't offer much. You won't be asked for any proof of anything to do with social welfare etc. It doesn't matter if the dog wasn't adopted from Dogs Aid

PS - Guess which rescue I volunteer for :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Fair play to Dogs Aid for running the clinic thats a serious commitment.

Now we just have to get them nationwide :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Inexile wrote: »
    Fair play to Dogs Aid for running the clinic thats a serious commitment.

Now we just have to get them nationwide :)

Absolutely fair play to them! To be honest I had never really heard of them before.

Advertisement