Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopters

Options
  • 06-05-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

Whats the going rate inc instructor and self hire for R22 training?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Last time i flew (last year :( ) it was still over 300

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Lomb,

You are looking at £300/hr sterling for the R22 and £525/hr for the R44!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Lomb,

You are looking at £300/hr sterling for the R22 and £525/hr for the R44!

Thanks probably not a runner, the R22 is scary and wouldnt be certified today legally , only 1 second to lower the collective on engine failure before terminal low blade rpm. If the engine just died it would probably be fatal for even a very experienced pilot. (I think EASA thinks that 4.5 seconds should be the minimum time available) Thankfully they usually lose power first before dieing. The 44 is way too dear. Amazing machines though I did a brief lesson in a 22 the other day. Im cracking on with my PPL (plank) and hope to complete that next month.

The R22 is not to be messed with that's for sure. If it is well maintained and you fly within the limits the machine won't bite. If you go outside the boundaries like flying on a really cold day where carburetor icing becomes an issue, then an engine failure is more likely if the carburetor heating isn't controlled properly. If you are dam quick in the event of an engine failure she won't kill you. The R44 is more forgiving in an engine failure with it's high inertia rotor blades.

I done my PPL on the R22 in Florida back in 2008. Haven't flown it since though because I was doing some hours on the S300CBi. Unfortunately there is no 300s left in Ireland bar two private ones. It is a fine machine to learn in, I love it. Shes a heavy brute though, drops faster than the 22 in an auto.

What flight school did you do the trial flight with?

The R22 is not to be messed with that's for sure. If it is well maintained and you fly within the limits the machine won't bite. If you go outside the boundaries like flying on a really cold day where carburetor icing becomes an issue, then an engine failure is more likely if the carburetor heating isn't controlled properly. If you are dam quick in the event of an engine failure she won't kill you. The R44 is more forgiving in an engine failure with it's high inertia rotor blades.

I done my PPL on the R22 in Florida back in 2008. Haven't flown it since though because I was doing some hours on the S300CBi. Unfortunately there is no 300s left in Ireland bar two private ones. It is a fine machine to learn in, I love it. Shes a heavy brute though, drops faster than the 22 in an auto.

Yes i gathered carb heat needs to be left on all the time if the density altitude and performance needed allows. Still an engine can break. A student was killed a few years ago on a solo in an R22 in England when he accidently left the mags on left and the left mag failed.
    However even if a mag doesnt fail, something could break. Theyve had problems with a 400hr 1.5 year old rotax engine up there when a conrod snapped taking the crank with it. So stuff happens. Id say youd want a cheap crappy headset so you can hear the engine at all times and keep one hand on the collective.
    Newtownards, very friendly and knowledgeable folk there. Its a little far for me from Dublin but I suppose if one was to 'go for it' and do several lessons a day with breaks it could be done there. Its alot of money though, a new car or a PPL(h)? They arent very practical machines either after looking into it. Just very clever toys.

• Advertisement

Ah Aero Helicopters are a great outfit. Jonny is a great Instructor. I haven't been up since last summer. Done a few trips in and out of ards in the 300.

By the sounds of things you aren't to keen on the R22. Don't blame you either. If you are just going to be doing the Helicopter flying as a hobby on the side, then I would suggest doing the PPL on the R22 then getting you're R44 rating. Driving from Dublin to ards to jump in the R22 is not worth it. At least with the 44 you can cover more miles with it's speed plus take an extra two friends along.

At the end of the day it comes down to what the bank account allows. Have you spoken to Skywest Aviation in Dublin? Their R22 is in Cork I believe. I stand to be corrected though!

http://www.helicopters.ie/

At the end of the day you could always go over to Fixed Wing. A tad bit cheaper than Rotary!

Ah Aero Helicopters are a great outfit. Jonny is a great Instructor. I haven't been up since last summer.
    At the end of the day it comes down to what the bank account allows. Have you spoken to Skywest Aviation in Dublin? Their R22 is in Cork I believe. I stand to be corrected though!

http://www.helicopters.ie/

At the end of the day you could always go over to Fixed Wing. A tad bit cheaper than Rotary!

He sure is, it shows too. I would probably do it in Ards if I was going for it because of that. Im finishing the PPL fixed wing there. The R22 is probably ok if you are tuned into the noise of the engine and have the automatic skills developed. The 44 is ridiculous money though, even the 22 is twice what fixed wing is. Once Ive the PPL I might just switch to flexwing microlights. The cost of helis and the compromises inherent would probably limit my enjoyment of it.

The cost of helis and the compromises inherent would probably limit my enjoyment of it.

That is sort of my problem at the minute. I'm going to Canada end of this year to work in the Oil and Gas for a year or so to gather the funds to complete the rest of my training. Will probably go offshore down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Anyone know of any current R22 self-fly hire rates? Has anyone heard of cases of private owners renting out their machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Used to get to ride in many different choppers when I was younger, had a family member working in Engineering, it was back in the day when you could give the kids a jolly during test fights, I can only assume that this is most likely a strict no-no these days! Great times ...

I was never allowed into an R22 though, it was judged too dodgy by said family member!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Try a nice warm muggy summers afternoon. That's the sort of time you really can be caught out by carb iceing.
    I find it a bit weird the way people are so fixated on carb ice these days. When I first learned to fly it was explained how it occurred and how to prevent it. It was not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Joe 90 wrote: »
    Try a nice warm muggy summers afternoon. That's the sort of time you really can be caught out by carb iceing.
    I find it a bit weird the way people are so fixated on carb ice these days. When I first learned to fly it was explained how it occurred and how to prevent it. It was not a big deal.

Because people are used to modern injection engines that never ice. If you've never used a carburetor vehicle having to use a choke and worry about icing is weird.

Advertisement