Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby seats

Options
  • 06-05-2013 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

I have a question

At what age can an infant get out of a babyseat? As in unclip the harness and become unrestrained.

If so is it the fault of the seat because in essence once the child is secured it should not be able to start jumping around the car.

For example when doing 100kmph on the M50 you dont want 2 year old running amok.

What age does a child know ho to get out of the seat?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My eldest daughter was around two when she learned how to unclip her harness on her car seat. To be fair, it's not a fault with the seat, some kids are just clever little buggers. After a few stops and told not to do it she stopped.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

mine never did until the eldest moved to a seat that needed a normal seat belt and then they were well able to.

It depends on the seat and the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Jees I cant imagine my lo doing that anytime before she grows out of her seat. Shes only 1 now but I sometimes struggle to open it . Mind you shes only in it a month if even so maybe they get a bit easier to open and close after being used a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

when ever you untie their hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

when ever you untie their hands

You have to untie their hands :eek: (makes note to self..untie sons hands when he is 18):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

belcampprisoner - Please refrain from posting unhelpful "advice".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

again my daughter never managed to unclip it, she wiggled her arms out once but i just kept repeating to her to put them back in and then continued to show her my seatbelt explaining "safety first, we have to keep safe by wearing the seat belt"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mine can unclip hers too, but I don't allow her to do it unless we are stopped and it's time to get out.

At some point you do need to actually tell them not to do the dangerous stuff, and make sure they know you mean it. They can understand this perfectly well at 2 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Good stuff so around 2 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Zambia wrote: »
    Good stuff so around 2 then.
    Well no... mine could get out of her maxicosi by about 10-11 months, so we changed the carseat to a britax, which she didn't figure out for another few months, but by then she paid more attention to 'No' and 'Stop that'. It depends on the child and the seat.

You said your child was 2 in the OP? They should be able to understand your instructions by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My daughter was about 2 but I had seen my nephew do it around 20 months so I bought a car seat with an alarm that goes off every time the buckle is opened.

It would drive you around the bend but she has done it twice in 6 months and has had a good talking to. I had the car stopped with in 4 seconds of her getting the buckle open.

The worst bit is she can open my 15 month old's car seat too, I have nightmares of them both getting loose in the back. i have one of those rear view mirrors too.

Advertisement