Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to become a solicitor ?

Options
  • 06-05-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello everyone.
    I am currently studying law in France, and I will be finishing my first degree next year. My goal is to practice law in Ireland. I have a dilemma.
    I was thinking of doing an LLB in UCD but, it would be 4 more years, knowing that I will already have study law for 3 years (a completely different law, for sure, but still), plus I'm not sure how to apply, because I'm not really a school leavers, but I'm not a mature student either because I'm 21, so I will be 22 when I will be applying.

My other idea would be to do an LLM, but I don't think it allows you to become a solicitor in Ireland. Because, if I understood correctly, you have to take specific courses to qualify.

I was wondering if anyone had a idea on what would be the best ?

thanks a lot !

Melodie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You don't have to do a law degree to become a solicitor, you need to do the Fe-1 exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Melodie31

Yes but, it seems a little tricky to do without studying the courses, knowing that I've only studied french law, which is completely different.
    And also, I was worried it could be tricky to get a job if I didn't study law in ireland prior to taking the exams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

There are three options available for you.

apply to the Education Committee of the law Society of Ireland for exemption from the Preliminary Examination, and then sit the FE1s as a foreign graduate. This will be quite straightforward.

You will be obliged to sit all of the same exams as Irish students. As a law graduate, you should be at an advantage over the many non-law graduates who choose to sit this exam.

France is one of the countries that are covered under the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test, which converts your professional qualifications in France to a professional qualification that can allow you to practice in Ireland. This is actually a series of examinations.

You can qualify and pass your professional exams in France, and then use the Establishment Regulations to automatically practice here after 3 years, without the need for further qualifications.

If I were you, I would strongly consider option 2, but also option 3, very strongly, as taken together, they increase your versatility and the value of your professional qualifications significantly.

Thanks for those answers !

Option 2 does sound good, but I'm afraid to not find any job without an irish degree... But it would seem to be the most interesting one.
    Option 3 is good too, but it would mean that I could move only in 6 years. Because in France, we have to study 5 years, then take the test to get into the training school for lawyer for a year and if you succeed, you can become a lawyer. So option 3 is good but it would take too long, I can't wait that much...

Option 1 : I have the same fears that for option 2, the lack of job at the end.

Pity you didn't do the BCL Maitrise... 2 years UCD, 2 years Paris II/ Toulouse, then go for professional training in either jurisdiction.

EU should have more of these kinds of courses to encourage academic mobility.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know it's a wonderful courses. Sadly I heard about it too late, especially knowing that I'm studying at the university of Toulouse. But, you can only apply to this course in ireland, that's why I didn't hear about it sooner. That's definitely a pity.
    I agree with you, EU should have more of theses kinds of courses !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

If you're worried about doing the professional exams without knowledge of Irish law, you could consider doing the Masters in Common Law in UCD. It'd give you a good grounding in common law, which wouldn't be a bad thing. I've found that a lot of the law students from the continent that come to UCD on Erasmus can struggle for a while to grasp the common law system as a whole as it's so different to the civil system. Here's a link to the course description.

If you're worried about doing the professional exams without knowledge of Irish law, you could consider doing the Masters in Common Law in UCD. It'd give you a good grounding in common law, which wouldn't be a bad thing. I've found that a lot of the law students from the continent that come to UCD on Erasmus can struggle for a while to grasp the common law system as a whole as it's so different to the civil system. Here's a link to the course description.

Thanks for that, that's a good idea. I'm doing an Erasmus year in England next year so I will be able to see some grounds of the common law.
    I'm concern about taking the test without knowledge but I'm also really concern about finding a trainee contract without having studying in Ireland ...

I just receive an email from UCD and apparently I can't do the master in common law because I've already studied law. That's too bad it seems like one of the best option ...

Melodie31 wrote: »
    I just receive an email from UCD and apparently I can't do the master in common law because I've already studied law. That's too bad it seems like one of the best option ...

Even though you studied in a non-common law jurisdiction?

That sounds ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Even though you studied in a non-common law jurisdiction?

That sounds ridiculous.

Well yes apparently. But I agree it does sound ridiculous. Too bad.

Advertisement